Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Lurssen Click for Cheoy Lee Click for Mag Bay

Lrg Fiberglass exhaust bellow under cockpit question

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Jan 5, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I noticed a rust stain on the port outboard side under the cockpit fishbox so removed fishbox. The large exhaust cylinder appeared to have a screw in the lower rear portion of the cylinder probably to drain water where freezing is an issue. My guess. The stainless screw (sm bolt) has just about rusted through and cannot easily be removed. Going to put a patch of 3m 5200 over it to stop dripping and in case screw rusts out completely it won't leak. In reviewing the 3m5200 specs it says temperature should not be over 190 degrees and I don't believe this gets that hot. Can anyone provide approximate temperatures. Thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hey Skip
    Is the screw below the water line? Can you get to it? I'd scuff and clean it up, put a nice epoxy patch over it. 5200 is good stuff but better sand winched between things.
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I'd agree with Ralph. 5200 is really a 'glue' it needs to be compressed between two surfaces. Clean the area and apply the appropriate epoxy or fiberglass resin.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Yes I am sure the screw is below the waterline and it is accessible. Will do an epoxy patch or marine tex.