Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Looking to Buy

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by M.A.K., Sep 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. M.A.K.

M.A.K. New Member

Hi
    New to forum and looking to purchase larger boat. Criteria:
    1. 42 to 53' Aft Cabin sundeck - Convertibles; double cabins have no interest
    2. Budget: $100.0 -$150.0 - would prefer $100.0 and put the balance into upgrades or repair.
    3. Intended use - cruise East Coast; Bahamas; ICW occasional offshore; at this time not looking to do the "loop". Not looking for long ocean passage's
    4. Like "older" style -Hatteras; Viking; Tollycraft; DeFever mid 80's; has to have covered sundeck
    5. Not naïve in regards to Maintenance; Dock fees; Repairs Insurance etc.
    6. Not looking to live aboard now or in future - but want to comfortable when on board.
    7. Experience - 30 years sailing. almost no motoring anything larger than 29"
    8. Would likely be spending months on the Chesapeake getting comfortable with all systems before heading anywhere far from port. know my limitations and am not going to challenge the sea, that much I do know
    So as I head into this quest
    a. Have I narrowed down the builders to much? Only interested in high end builders from the 80's
    b. Have seen a few Vikings and a Tollycraft with twin gas Crusader's - concerned about range and reputation of being overly thirsty, but they are priced well below comp. diesels does the reduced cost make up for the increased fuel? also concerned about the range with gas, tanks about 400gal
    c. Jefferson's, Gulfstar's and Atlantic's look nice on line, have yet to see in person and know nothing about them, any help?
    d. know there is a compromised between size, year and maintenance, don't want to get in over my head in size, as everything goes up exponentially, besides not sure I need anything larger.

any console and guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Since you plan on longer distances, i woudl absolutly stay away from gas because of range and safety.

I would add Chris Craft and Bertram to your list. I m not a big fan of taiwan boats like defevers and the like. Fuel tanks, systems, stainless steel isnt as good as the other brands you mentioned.

A few feet, even 10 feet isnt going to affect costs much beyond dockage and haul outs/bottom paint. If anything, having better access to systems makes it easier to maintain and less costly when you have to pay someone. Whether 42, 53 or 58 you will have pretty mich the same systems: two engine, two gears, two shaft and props, two rudders, same steering fuel and water systems, etc... makes no difference. For cruising the bahamas storage is critical, especially refrigeration, and the bigger boats will Make it easier.

Even fuel burn isnt much different. A 40ish aft cabin will burn 6 or 7 gph and 7.5 to 8 kts. A 55 or so will burn 9 gph at 9kts because the longer the hull, the higher the hull speed you can economically cruise at

Build quality is as much if not more important than age... i ll take a 40 year old bertam, tolly or hatteras over a 15 yeal old defever, carver and the like.
  3. M.A.K.

M.A.K. New Member

Pascal
    Thanks you have pretty much confirmed my direction, have always gone by the edict that if you start out with the best, and it's been taken car of it's still the best.
    and understand that there are no guarantees in this life other than we will all be dead at some point, but what I don't want to happen is buy a boat and within the year have to replace/repair a major component. also plan to hire a certified captain/instructor before I go out - hurting myself is 1 thing but to hurt another because of my inexperience is not in my plan
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Jefferson , not high end and not so hot. Check out the Grand Banks 42 through 49 ft motoryacht aft deck trawler. There are a few on the market now in your price range. Good boat. Also many 42 GB classic trawlers on the market...just name your price on those. Stay away from gas engines. Diesel is the way to go. Good luck!