Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

Looking to buy a Sportfish/Convertable

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by craigsduc, May 4, 2011.

1. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

What is the story with the engines on this boat? When you are talking about the SIZE of the boat, no doubt you have admired the enormous size of those 12V71TI engines ... I drive a GMC Denali. Each of those engines with transmission weighs approximately as much as my GMC Denali. That's just a hulking engine.

Were they overhauled recently?

With regard to cost, it seems like you need to have an extra $100k per year around .... or you will be constantly fretting about money or could run into an issue that will force you to fire-sale the boat.

Mike
  2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

craigsduc, you sound much more like a someone that's suited to a smaller boat with four cycle in line sixes. Those numbers for the hatteras only work if you don't use the boat and have no major problems. Go check the price of 8V batteries, I just spent a small fortune replacing the ones on my 55 hatteras. I could go on and on but as someone else on this thread said...

"...the purchase price is just the cover charge to get in the club. It's the bar tab you gotta watch out for. "
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're around $220 each and are 8 volt golf cart batteries x 8 of them usually on the Hatteras'
  4. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I chose not to use ****** golf car batteries, but went with a quality marine battery that fits in the hatteras battery box for $340 a piece. Regardless, that pennies compared to the repair I have to do to the leaking zf transmission cooler. My mechanic told me today that the tranny has to come out of the boat to repair/machine the housing where the cooler fits in. So much for yachting on a budget.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

ZF parts are extremely expensive. I had to change the pump on a wb 183 I think it was......the pump was nothing more than a mechanical pump, it only cost $4200 for the part.......I think it was $6300 total with labor.......then the goofy scraper/filter is about $2200 just for the part......if you ever need to buy one
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

$8,000 in fuel qualifies a 50' boat for dockqueen status.

Don't want to interefer too much with the OP but this info may benefit him also. The Post is pretty economical in comparison to others of similar size because of her bottom configuration - steep entry running back to maybe an 8 percent deadrise. burns about 60 gph at 30 knots (1950 rpm) about 45 gph at 26 knots (1750 rpm). 820 Mans. I basically run up and down the Long Island Sound with one or two trips to Martha's Vineyard. No doubt that my fuel costs will be higher this year.