Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Looking for trawler with contemporary interior?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Razorflown, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Razorflown

Razorflown New Member

Is there an ocean going motor yacht with abilities of a Nordhavn but the interior of a Marquis? If not, why?
    I love Nordhavns. (no experience though) They seem like a very capable vessel. However, their interiors look like the inside of a trailer camper. (no offense) Shouldn't a boat of this expense have interior styling more like that of say, the Marquis 40 sc? I'm not saying that the boat needs to be covered in white carpet, but cmon, you've got to see what I'm talking about.

I know there's a lot of boat manufacturers out there and I might have missed one. I'm looking for an ocean capable vessel with nice interior styling without breaking $600k used, but honestly I cant even find anything for under $1M. I would like a capable boat (nordhavn 43 ish), with a davit, so I can carry around a motorcycle, waverunner and dingy. So basically, I want a Nordhavn 43 with the interior of a Marquis 40 sc.

What's your opinion?
    What's out there?
    Are there reasons I should shy away from the Marquis styling?
    If you could have a small ocean going boat, what would it be?
    If I approach Nordhavn with a custom build like this is, how well will it go over? Pricetag range?
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Take a peek at the following and tell me if these fit your desire for interior decor / design:
    Fleming
    Marlow
    Hampton
    Offshore

These will however exceed your price point. There's a pro and con to everything, I guess.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

What is your definition of "ocean going?" What kind of range are you looking for?

For a bluewater, ocean crossing trawler to be able to withstand the rigors of extended passages and the rough and tumble of big seas, the white, glitzy, high gloss interior doesn't lend itself to practicality. Of course you can have contemporary decor, but materials need to be durable and not not prone to being treated tenderly. Fiberglass trawlers don't tend to have the marble, tile, and glass that steel trawlers can support.

Most production manufactures allow for custom interiors, or find your compromise vessel and fluff up your interior refit as you desire.

Judy
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

A vessel you should have a look at is the new Azimut 74 Magellano.
    Others with more contemporary interiors are the Grand Banks Aleutian, and Mochi 23 Long Range. I also seem to remember that the recently reviewed, and very nice Sea Spirit 60 is also semi custom so may be you can talk to them for making your wishes come true.
  5. goplay

goplay Senior Member

I've always been surprised why trawlers/displacement boats come with interiors that look like grandma's apartment!

Since "slow" boats are more in demand, new production boats are getting contemporary interiors. I think you will have to wait a few years before you start seeing contemporary interiors on the used market.

You could always do an interior refit on a well priced used boat.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Northern Marine builds a nice trawler and you can have a contemporary interior or one in-between.......
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Mochi and Northern Marine are two other recommendations I like.
  8. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Northern Marine Closed?

I thought Northern Marine was closed? The building was up for sale the last time I drove by.

If you want a Nordhavn, I recall PAE president Dan Streech being quoted as saying that the downturn has opened up opportunities for buyers. They have time to do more custom work and prices are lower than in recent times. They have built quite a few Nordhavns that didn't have the traditional teak interiors. In fact they show two very different 76 footers in their latest Circumnavigator magazine, issue 4. Ammonite is very contemporary (with African Wenge and Charco wood and lots of custom fittings) and Silvia M. is more traditional (mahogany wood and Italian marble). Silvia M. is featured in the photos in the N76 section of the site. If you are interested their boats, you should give them a call or stop by one of the boat shows that they will be attending.

Silvia M. Photos
    http://www.nordhavn.com/76/slideshow/

Nordhavn Events and Boat Shows
    http://www.nordhavn.com/cal_events/calendar.php4

Circumnavigator Magazine - Free download
    http://www.nordhavn.com/circumnavigator/circumnavigator.php4
  9. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I don't know that they are closed, or at least I personally can't confirm it. I do know they've been on again, off again for the last few years.
  10. shipwrght

shipwrght New Member

I don't think that Northern Marine has filled bankruptcy, but there is zero activity at any of their buildings. As far as the building being up for sale, it has been for sale for several years and is not owned by Northern. The 64' that they were working on has been moved to a different company, also in Anacortes. There is a 150', partially completed, sitting in their northern most shop.

Dan
  11. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Northern Marine closed. The 151 that is not finished is for sale. There was two 64 that were sold unfinished.
    A new company is building a 90' for a owner of a smaller Northern Marine. Not sure when and were it will be done.
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

13. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

Take a look at the Hampton 65 LRC......comes very close to "new"
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Some of us happen to think that's the way a boat should look. After all, it's not an apartment in Manhattan, but a passagemaker. There's plenty of swept back windshields, glitz and crystal chandeliers out there for the weekenders and partiers. Nordhavens are meant to get into stuff with the confidence that you'll get back out, and they look like it.
  15. Seaclusion

Seaclusion New Member

Have you really looked closely at the standard finish of a Nordhavn? If not, then I suggest that you do. And if you have the bucks, you can get any custom finish you want on a Nordhavn. Some of us like it!
  16. Production boats are built to appeal to the widest audience in their market niche. Trawlers (more of an ocean going vessel) are often sold to retired couples and they want a traditional interior. Modern interiors go with modern exteriors and appeal to the younger buyer who does not have the time for a slow boat. Custom building will not be in your price range.
    The words "ocean capable" have different meanings to different people and for a more modern interior you might consider a "coastal cruiser," which term is also open to debate.
    It is better to be cruising in a mid priced coastal boat than to stand on the beach watching the Nordhavns go by.
  17. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Tucker, if Carl ever institutes a Quotable Quotes section in YF, I nominate the above.
  18. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

At the bottom end compared to the above mentioned brands, how about the Beneteau Swift 44 Trawler? I remember the 52 selling for 550-600 EUR.

It has a modern interior and the price is within your limit. However I would'nt say that it has the same sea-keeping as a Nordhavn by a long shot. Freight might be substantial however for the U.S. market.

Attached Files:

19. Loren, feel free to use that quote anytime when you are showing boats to clients, along with "the fish don't know what kind of boat your on."
    Tucker