Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Looking for Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by hopefulroamer, Jun 13, 2005.

1. hopefulroamer

hopefulroamer New Member

:eek: After owning sailboats for many years I have decided to come over to the darkside and purchase a cruiser. I like the lines and style of the older CC and the metal hulls of the Roamers and at this time are going in that direction. I was looking at a 1963 Roamer Offshore 38 today. I have a pretty good idea what to look for in a fiberglass sailboat, but a steeled hulled cruiser is another story. A few of the many things I did notice there was several inches of water in the engine compartment, softspots in the wood of the wheelhouse, some inside water damage, and there were several narrow patches welded on the bottom. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in my search for a Roamer, what to look for, and what kind of project is a boat like this.
  2. hill

hill New Member

If you run across someone selling a 46' + Roamer and you are not interested have them PM me. Aluminum preferred, diesel a must.

Regards; D. Hill
  3. hill

hill New Member

Well I’ve put away my toy money since it is summer and prices are higher and probably won’t be hunting again till December. Below are some Roamers that I found interesting for different reasons but could not justify an extra $13-20K shipping charges. Check out the second one it is a little small for a long cruise but new Cummins
    engines excite me. :)

http://www.industrytrader.com/marine/details~AdID~50488.aspx

http://www.jackpadymarine.com/4114/4114detail.html

http://www.everyboat.com/c/s/1968-chris-craft-aluminum-roamer_1163.htm

http://www.glysinc.com/Sales/Brokerage/1966Chriscraft48roamer.html

http://www.iboats.com/boats/marine-...toryachts_without_cockpit--1064/54473-ad.html
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Good Works - Lead to (Roamer) Heaven

Nice work collecting all of these Roamer ads - care to apply for the position of chief archivist on the CC Roamer website? :p
  5. hill

hill New Member

I will contribute any info I have but unfortunately my Roamer knoweledge is limited ;) . I just like the dam things. Style grace and the ability to be patched with a torch or mig/tig. Becuse we all know wood belongs on the deck and not in the water. :D
  6. Capt Keller

Capt Keller New Member

In all of the adds I only saw one location, and that was in Wisconsin. Also I have no idea of where you want the boat delivered so I am unable to help you in reguards to shipping it under $13-20k through a professional service. I brought my own 38' Chris Craft Roamer Sedan home from Lake Michigan (See Seastories) to Lake Erie for the price of the gasoline to get her there, plus food. To make a long story short I was mostly worried about the gasoline costs up until a fellow roamer gave me a formula for traveling at hull speed to consurve fuel costs. Once I knew that speed, and the fact that I didn't have to run on both engines at the same time to make that speed saved me a great deal of worry, not to mention money. And boy can those Roamers handle heavy weather seas on the Great Lakes! Whew!

I could probably deliver yours anywhere here on the Great Lakes for well under what you have above for expenses, and 5 grand for my time if you want to take the trip with me. (A crew costs extra.) You pay for the fuel, and any unexpected traveling expenses including locks the boat would have to go through. However, if you wanted it delivered beyond the St. Lawrence Seaway, you really should go through a professional service for that kind of voyage.

Capt John S. Keller
    Great Lakes Pilot
  7. hill

hill New Member

Capt. Keller

Thanks for the offer but I live in Sacramento California and boat from San Francisco to our beloved Sacramento San Juaquin delta. There are very few Roamers in Calif but a there seems to be a few in Brittish Columbia. If I find one up there it would be a nice down hill cruise to SF.
  8. Bobsaero

Bobsaero New Member

Roamer for sale in San Francisco

I hope this is appropriate to post this here , I have a friend with a 37' steel hull Roamer for sale (the OOSICK) at the Hunters point shipyard in San Francisco.It has twin Perkins diesels, dry stacked.The owner can tell you far more about it than I can.I will forward his contact info to anyone that emails me for it.
  9. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Worth A Shot

That's fine - but you might want to post the details in the "For Sale" section, eh? We've gotten a few Roamers into new hands that way - maybe it will work for you too. :p
  10. hill

hill New Member

Thanks for the info. This time around I am going to pay attention to "buy your last boat first". Which means Roamer 46'+ and diesel.

D. Hill
  11. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

I purchased a "cherry" 41 Alum. Roamer, Fly Bridge with the orginal 427's. In fact, everything is orginal. The boat is in great shape and has been babied all of her life here on the Good Ol' Tenn. River. My question is, What is the purpose of the Ship to Shore AM type radio that is located in the storage area that the helm seat is attached to. Does it have any value? I would kinda like to gut that area and update same with modern toys. Jim
  12. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Another Fine 41 Regal

No need to keep all the old stuff - especially iffin' you've got a fine new replacement in mind. Cell phone springs to mind, but some marinas/harbormasters/lock dogs still use ship-to-shore radios for communications. :cool:
    Sounds like you came across quite a beauty - "Stardust V" by any chance??
    http://www.geocities.com/alloyed2sea/Regal_41.html
    Would like to hear a bit more about her (name?) - and possibly get a hull# so we can add her to the list of "Known Survivors".
    Send me a regular email address - and then I can send you a copy.
    Cheers!
    Eric
    Webmaster, CC Roamers
    "Tin Tonic"
    1967 CC Roamer Riviera 37' (AL)
    RXP-37-3501
  13. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Thank you for replying to my E-Mail. Her Hull Number is ROP414502R, 1970 Roamer. She has lived all her life here in the good ol' Tennessee River and has Orginal Engines 250hrs Port and 40hrs starboard. 8.5 Westerbeke Gen. 850 Hrs and a new Awgrip paint job. Her names have been Farmers Daughter, Windrock and I named her "Copy Cat." I have known about her most of my life and purchased her three months ago. She's quite a lady. Jim