Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service

Looking for my next boat

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by gamnc, Dec 10, 2013.

1. gamnc

gamnc New Member

The wife and I have decided it is time to buy another boat. I have three years till I retire maybe 4, but we want a sailboat large enough to cruise in for weeks at a time. We both have 30 plus years in sailboats, and some limited time in power boats. We have sailed and raced on boats ranging from 30 feet to 54 with most being on the 44 to 49 foot size. I am looking at the 44 to 50 foot range for us now, and think the racing stage of our life may be behind us, but my wife may still think differently on that subject. I additionally will use the boat as a place to stay when working out of town over the next three years, which will amount to about three days a week. It will be a lot better than a hotel, but requires some extra space as well as air and heat, a stall shower, and a good galley.
    My search has narrowed to several makes (Gulfstar 50, Beneteau 50, and Hinkley 49) and a dozen or so boats in those makes on the market in my price range. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have lived on these models for any period of time, and might know of any special issues which I might need to look for. I also would like the group to fill me in on the in-mast furling which seems to be in half of the boats I have found on the market. Last is some feedback on wing keels VS the traditional keel.
    Here are to boats I think fit our needs and sailing future.
    Gulfstar Sailmaster 50 seems to be my first choice. I like the look, and most seem to be designed for short- handed sailing. In our case the sailing will be just my wife and I most of the time. I also like the room and lay out inside, and the layout of the deck to make for easy and safe sailing. I see where one boat has changed its keel to a Wing keel and report a stiffer boat. It did reduce the draft but I have no experience with wing keels. I was wondering how the furling main works and if there are any problems with them? I have noticed most of the boats I have looked at have in mast furling. I have always had racing boats and avoided the furling mast. I could some feedback on them also.

Beneteau 50 Oceanis: These seem to have been charter boats, but from the adds look to have been upgraded and show no signs of charter abuse. I know I will need to go over them with a fine tooth comb, and a surveyor, but still like the layout and easy sail plans.

The last is the Hinckley 49 which has the looks and history of a good solid boat, but to get in my price range I am looking at boats 10 to 15 years older than the other models. Most have been through major refits, as have the other models. On paper they all sound good, but still age has to take its toll at some point. What would you as a group look for in an older boat.
    Thanks for any information.
    GAMNC
  2. menkes

menkes Member

Just bought my retiring yacht
    My first definition item was center cockpit.
    I have two names for you:
    1.The Austrian yacht "Sunbeam" DS (before 2010).
    2. Hunter 45 passage

Both offer a lot of space and comfort, especially for a sailing couple
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

This is just a question out of curiosity from a non sailor. I see so many sailing couples turning to trawlers, some as early as their 50's, many in their 60's and at retirement. When is the time you and others feel to make that change? Do you wait and let health dictate? Or do you anticipate? Is there a time you just want a lazier way to boat? Just curious as we've met so many ex sailors on trawlers, many who spent their adult life talking negatively about "stink pots". I've known many who did it at retirement when they knew they wanted to cover more ground plus spending so much time on board wanted more space.
  4. gamnc

gamnc New Member

I will check out both of them. I have sailed on a hunter 45, but never seen the Sunbeam DS.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm with olderboater, why work during the years to relax. We have all witnessed the swing from sailing to LSD (Long-range, Slow-speed, Displacement). Jump on that wagon now and enjoy the seas without the pains, time and eventual expense.
    Purchase that GB or like now and enjoy (till da end).
    S'not water world yet...
  6. gamnc

gamnc New Member

sail VS power, my answer.

I like to think we are still young enough and even if not young, still in the good enough shape to be able to sail most of what is out there. I find the amount of work involved in sailing to be more of a relaxing type of action rather than work. We are both personality types who likes to have something to do other than hear the hum of an engine and the sail trimming, and racing anything floating on the surface seems to be a good fit. The day may come when we will shift to a power boat, but I think that is a good 10 or 20 years down the waterway.
  7. Mark Woglom

Mark Woglom Senior Member

Live in Gilford NH. Boat in Sarasota winters, New
    I like your response. I grew up sailing, and I miss having "something to do" when we're on a long cruise. I'd trade a 7 knot sail, for a 7 knot "trawl", in a heartbeat.

That said, I wouldn't trade 21 knots for 7 knots. I like to "get there" a bit more than I enjoy "getting there".

... which is why they make more than one type of boat ... lots of ways to enjoy them.