Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Looking for info about Key Power

Discussion in 'Generators' started by 54' Bertram, Oct 5, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

Looking for help locating Key Power or whoever they are now. My 12V71ti's were upgraded by them when my boat was built in the 80's. DD only has the parts sheet for the as built before Key took them for modification.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you have no luck getting hold of anyne who knows about your engines from KP you should be able to work out what most of the work done was if you have the engines and the parts used are still on them.

You could find out what Injectors it now has compared to standard, measure the height of a few before pulling any out in case they have an off spec timing height. The turbos and nozzles if used should have casting numbers on them. A lot of the other bits a such as coolers etc should also have someway of identifying their origins as well.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they're still around. Check under either Key power or Goldcoast power, I thought I saw an ad for them selling a set of engines not that long ago somewhere.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Key Power was once the Miami Detroit dealer.
    The owner, Duane House, got out of the diesel business many (15? 20?) years ago and into the 'Learn How To Drive Semis' business.

The old location has been known as Florida Detroit Diesel Allison and has an office closer to you in Panama City.
  5. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

thank you for the replies.

I was afraid they were no longer around. I had the New Orleans DD pull my parts sheets for both engines but assumed that if Key had done modifications such as injectors or turbos, they would have record of that as well. another member here, Bayside Bert, was having issues finding as built parts list for his stbd engine and it got me thinking about specs since I spun a turbo my last fishing trip. with the boat 96 miles from service I was hoping to have a parts list in advance.

192 mile round trip for the mechanic to identify what parts to order gets expensive!

thanks again for the info.
  6. carelm

carelm Senior Member

7. Loren Schweizer

54 Bertram, keep in mind that the 'specs sticker' mounted to your rocker box covers adds a small wealth of info such as turbo model, timing, injector size, and a dozen more items.

You mention "updating".

The 1981 12V71 pre-54 was a 675 HP motor.
    The advent of the 54 in late 1981 gave rise to the KP-modified [BK 800] 800 HP (820 BHP) version driving a Twin Disc CHP 1.5:1 gear.

By the mid-eighties, they upped that to the 900 HP version (915 BHP) equipped with a ZF 195 tranny. $685K for that flavor of 54 Bertram.

Have you tried contacting FDDA Miami for the spec on your serial numbers?
  8. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

thanks. I did contact them. they do not keep records past 7 years. :(

I plan to run down to the boat this weekend and see what numbers I can find. the local DD dealer in New Orleans said I should find a TV7101 on the turbo and I should be running M95 injectors. those were based on the spec sheet he pulled from DD directly, so it will be interesting to see what Key Power would have done in addition if these are the 800hp engines. when I got the boat, it had literature in the owners manuals from Key Power, but no specs about what they did. the previous owner had the engines rebuilt about 300 hours before I purchased the boat so thats another potential issue. did they rebuild them to Key's specs or to the factory specs? no idea at this point.
  9. Loren Schweizer

Here's a thought: do you have any independent Detroit guys in the area?
    Gee, New Orleans, probably a few dozen. Call around to thems who've been around since 1980 and talk to one of the geezers who know what a BK 800 12V-71TI is; he might just be familiar.

Lots of guys who did rebuilds when yours was done hotted up their motors with at least fatter injectors and monkeyed with the rack & timing.

Hint: 800s ran 28 X 32 cupped wheels, while the 900s ran 29 X 33 cups.
  10. Freespool

Freespool New Member

If it's the 900 version it should have 9215 Injectors I believe. You can not go by the build list on this engine. It requires J6 valves, wide gap rings, a bigger turbo, and a different intercooler set up. ( low profile). Also has a low profile heat exchanger set up.
    These things where hopped up by Key Power from the original build at Detroit.
    I normally set the injectors at 1.496 for these to run good with a standard modulator setting of .454

(I have built more than 1 or 2 of these over the years.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Do you mean Detroit Diesel does not keep records past 7 years or FDA/Key ?

You should be able to get the assemblers pet goldfish name from DDC. Every boat I manage, I order the build / part book from DDC. Comes in almost the size of a phone book on 30 year old 12v71ti's. The last set I ordered were thin, they removed the part break down pictures.

Your serial numbers should start with 12VA0*****.

Re; prop sizes; '78, 58' Bert, 32x30.

71s rule.;)
  12. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

I'm one of those old geezers and I don't know what a "BK" is.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I didn't see where "BK? was in the thread. Can you point to where you saw "BK"?
  14. Loren Schweizer

FYI:

"BK" = Bertram Key Power. Those early 12V-71s were built up solely by Key Power for only the Bertram 54.

This was back in the day prior to Roger Penske's homogenization of marine applications at the factory level circa 1986/1987 and wherein DD distributors marinized as they saw fit.