Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Looking for Herreshoff hull no. 512

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Joseph Hartwic, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Joseph Hartwic

Joseph Hartwic New Member

This racing yacht was commissioned by J. Rogers Maxwell in 1899. My interest in this boat started when my dad aquired a silver race trophy cup for first place for this boat named at that time "Oiseau" from the Sea Cliff Yacht Club. The second owner was Victor L. Cumnock, and he rechristened the boat "Nike". Mostly I am just curious if this boat still exists somewhere. I would think Herreshoff boats are not casually tossed out when worn like a cheap bass boat. My dad was an avid sailor when he was younger, but at 75 years of age and a brand new replacement shoulder have slowed him up a tick. But getting the history behind his 100 plus year old trophy cup has really brightened up his eyes. So any help you guys can give me as to where this fine old boat is, or what happened to her will be most appreciated! Also, anyone have a contact at the Sea Cliff yacht club? They don't answer their phones, their mail or their e-mail. Mostly looking to get any info on a race from around 1901 involving the boat Oiseau and who crewed her.
  2. m2m

m2m Senior Member

You might have some luck if you conatct the Herreshoff Marine Museum in Bristol R.I.
  3. Joseph Hartwic

Herreshoff got me info on the second owner, but apparently has no info after him. That info I got from Herreshoff's on line records, but I took your suggestion to heart and sent an inquiry today to their museum curator, he might know more, or can point me into a direction to look, So I appreciate the info, thanks.
  4. Joseph Hartwic

No reply from Herreshoff's museum, and still no replies from the Seacliff yacht club. I did find an online book from Lloyd's of London on registered boats in the USA published in 1919 that listed the boat as still existing with the owner at that time. Just wanted to update you folks as to how far I got.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The Sea Cliff Y.C. would most likely be closed up until spring. DK what happens to their mail. I see on their schedule that they have something on for this Sunday the 19th @ 1300. You may be able to reach someone then.