Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Looking for feedback on Flybridge Sedans

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Tweaked Torpedo, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Tweaked Torpedo

Tweaked Torpedo New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a Sea Ray Flybridge Sedan 480. Possibly a 540 if the price is right. I would appreciate any feedback from current (or past) owners of these boats.

I've looked at the 480 carefully and I'm concerned about access to the engine room to perform maintenance or repairs. There is very limited space.

Other than that, have owners encountered any problems, either structurally or cosmetically with owning these boats?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Yachtwatch

Yachtwatch Guest

Sea Ray Flybridge Sedan 540

I would encourage you to go with the 540 over the 480. You are 100% correct the 480's engine access is very limited and doing repairs at sea or even in the slip require great skill and a trim and flexable body. The difference of price between the two should not be alot difference. Sure the 540 will be more but you have what I will consider double the boat ( or so it feels ) with how the vessel is laid out and performs in big seas. The resell value of the 540 holds more then the 480. Not so long ago I took a 540 from Galveston Island Texas to San Diego via the Panama Canal. I had zero problems with the vessel. I feel if any vessel can handle a journey like this it has to be a good solid vessel! Let me know if you have any questions on the Sea Rays owning 2 and selling a number of them I have a good idea.

Matthew

matthewstropes@hotmail.com
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I agree with Mathew on the engine room space of the 480 Sedan Bridge. You'll need to be a contortionist to work on the engines. The 560 is better, but you pay a premium for this access. In the used market, a 1998-1999 480 Sedan Bridge can be bought for 300-400k. In contrast, the 540 Sedan Bridge will typically cost $600-700k... twice the price for 8 more feet! :rolleyes:

I've always liked the Sedan Bridges, so much so... that I owned one. These are well engineered production boats, both ergonomically and mechanically. My only gripe is with the forward master. I like a full size (full beam if possible) master stateroom, similar to Sea Ray's 480 Motor Yacht (not the Sedan Bridge).

You can't go wrong buying a used Sea Ray. The re-sale market is strong and the boat will serve you well, with minimum maintenance. However, there were some problems associated with the Cat's installed in the 1998-2001 Sedan Bridges. Yes, Cats! (believe it or not). In 2002, Sea Ray switched to Cummins Diesels and I have not heard of any problems associated with this powerplant. If you buy a prior model with Cats, make sure all the engine updates have been completed, or try to locate one with Detroits. The DD's are 600 hp, as opposed to the Cats which are 660 hp. Cruise & top speed loss are minimal, maybe 1-2 knots with DD's.

If at all possible, get the flybridge a/c option. The resale is much better and you will thank me later if you ever get caught in the rain and have to zip up the bridge!
  4. Richardh

Richardh New Member

I have a 1998 480 bought new and repowered by CAT in 2000. Has been a phenominal boat (we have owed about 30 boats in our lifetime) and have taken her to the Bahamas on numerious occasions and cruised her for a month at a time. We have just listed for sale as it is time to upgrade to a full size mid-ship master stateroom. Making that V berth every day for a month can be a drag. We have crossed to and from Florida in 6 footers and been caught in 8-12 footers and while not comfortable the boat did very well. We have upgrade most of the boat's system including adding Stidd seating to the bridge. Highly recommended but quite pricy. If you have any detailed question e-mail your number and I will give you a call

Richard

richardholtz@hotmail.com
  5. forensic22

forensic22 New Member

picking up the new 44' sedan bridge in a month.

I have decided to make the big step up from a 30 sundancer to a 44 sedan bridge. I have it ordered and is finally ready. My marina opens in about a month so I am picking her up right after that. I have had sleepless nights over the winter thinking of my new boat. I cannot wait to finally get on that bridge and bring her into the city from Long Island. I hope I made the right move because a) I have a young family and need the space and safety, and b) I think the 44' looks hot. My wife thinks I will want a bigger one soon. I never expected boating to be this addictive!!
  6. rmazone

rmazone New Member

Froensic22
    Nice boat! My wife and I bought our first ever boat (2005 420 Sedan) in Aug 2005. It's pretty much the same as a 44 Sedan. We live in CO and fly back and forth to where we leave the boat. We took it from Seabrook TX ( where we purchased it) to New York, with a 3 month stop in Ft. Lauderdale and a three month stop at Baltimore. Buying a boat is absolutuly the dumbest fiscal move I ever made but by FAR the most fun and rewarding. Some things your wife my be right about is the V birth gets a little old ( at least when you 57 years old) and the engine room is real tight. On our trips up and down the ICW A/C on the bridge would be great. The boat is back in Ft. Lauderdale now but we're headed back to the Chesapeake (?) in late May. With a 44" draft it's great on the ICW and handles well when we run outside. Good luck with your new purchase and ENJOY!
  7. barbiedoll

barbiedoll New Member

48' sedan bridge

Hello Richard,
    We are looking at a 2001 48' sedan bridge to purchase in Florida. While there last week we looked at several. We are noticing that the lamenate on the cabinet doors is getting all discolored and dry and peeling. Have you seen or heard anything about this issue?
    Let me know. Also do you still have your boat and any other comments about the 2001, with the caterpillar 640's
    Thank You,
    Barb
  8. barbiedoll

barbiedoll New Member

48 sedan bridge

Looking at the 48' sea ray sedan bridge and have found that on all three of the I have seen the cabinets and cabinet doors are having issues with the laminate either discoloring and drying and peeling? Is this common? The year was 2001 and a 1999. The broker said the issue was the way the vitracore was installed on boat. Any one know anything about this?
    Barb