Click for Delta Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross Click for Comfort Click for Burger

Looking for Coastal Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by LuvBigBoats, Jan 1, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

What about Neptunus? Aren't all their 62s balsa cored above the w/l? Or are you talking about below the w/l?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Look at Neptunus as they may meet your needs also. As far as I know Neptunus has never used Balsa.
  3. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

What I was referring to was what I read in several sources, including this article https://www.******************.com/boat-tests/neptunus-62-flybridge-0

"Her bottom is a solid laminate that includes three layers of Kevlar for impact resistance, while her sides, decks, and superstructure are balsa-cored for stiffness and reduced weight."

Also here: https://www.******************.com/neptunus-62-flybridge/
    "The 62's hull is a solid laminate and incorporates three layers of Kevlar. The hull sides, deck and superstructure are constructed with balsa core."

Was kind of surprised by this.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Me too, but I've managed several Neptunus over the years and never had a hint of any coring issues. They're a quality yacht and built pretty well. The owners manual is incredible for a yacht and everything is well engineered for access and replacement. A good sea boat as well.
  5. SE Alaska D

SE Alaska D New Member

I have a simple question, can these Yachts stand up to seas like the ones in this video taken in Southeast alaska. Relentless stacked up waves. Just wondering how sea worthy in bad weather.

6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I doubt anyone could say, as you can see by the title of this tread "looking for coastal cruiser/floating condo" your YouTube example of relentless green water is not in the route planning or cruising grounds. So this condition would be a complete no go situation for boats "like these".
    What do you think?
    I think my coastal cruiser/anchor/dock condo would be in a world of hurt. The slow motion green water against the pilot house windows is mesmerizing though. Beautiful in it's own way.
  7. GPO

GPO Member

As gr8trn correctly pointed out, cruisers would not be venturing out in conditions shown in the video. Route and weather planning factor into cruising itineraries. With sound "go or no go" decision-making, countless boats of the size and type discussed in this thread have made safe passages to and from Alaska for many years now - utilizing the Inside Passage - without having to contend with such conditions.
  8. SE Alaska D

SE Alaska D New Member

Copy that. The thread is pretty specific, my bad. Just wondering how they’d hold up in storm weather. Definitely wouldn’t be fun. Thanks for the response and yes beautiful yet terrifying.
    gr8trn likes this.
  9. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Just an update, so far I've narrowed the search to 62 Navigator, 67 Viking Sport Cruiser, 62 Neptunus, or 58 or 64 Fairline Squadron. Really want to avoid the over-under bunks in the third stateroom, which unfortunately rules out a lot of boats. Also not crazy about the OAs, as the bridge seating seems really limited. Sunseekers are OK but almost all but one (and I don't like the layout of that one) have MAN engines, which I'm avoiding. Also looking at Offshore, Hampton, Horizon but Offshores and Hamtons in my size all seem to have over-under bunks and no Horizons in the US.

Bow seating also a plus as mentioned above, but only the Nav andOffshore have that, at least in my price range.

Search goes on....
    gr8trn likes this.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not sure why you want to avoid MAN, they're the most reliable engines in this HP range. I can't remember how long ago I had to get the dealer out on a 2007 1100hp MAN boat I've been managing since 2011, 2013 I think it was. It's been maintained by an independant outfit with a man certified mechanic..........Never had an issue aside from routine maintenance. 62' Princess has side by side beds, not bunks in 3rd stateroom.
  11. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Getting MAN service is very difficult in my area (Southern CA, Los Angeles area). There's basically one outfit that does it and you're at their mercy. Running 6 weeks out on service now. I understand they don't break down often, but when they do I'd like to get service in a reasonable period. That's the issue with the Navigator I'm looking at too--it has the Scania/Yanmar 6SY engines, and there's only one factory certified outfit that services those around here. I'm feeling a little better about them since that outfit doesn't seem as overbooked as the MAN guys.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd much rather have MAN's than Scania/Yanmars......getting parts for MAN's has been no problem......and it isn't brain science to work on them, if need be. Plus they run smoother/cleaner at lower rpms.
    LuvBigBoats likes this.
  13. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Why are the regular services so ridiculously expensive? My impression after talking to the mechanic is the parts are ridiculously expensive and the labor costs are high because the services are a lot more involved on them. If it was only the breakdown issues I may take that risk, but their regular service intervals are pretty frequent as well (like every couple years).

Do you have much experience with the mid-2000s VSCs?
    Rickfisher likes this.
  14. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

Like the old saying goes
    “It’s the song, not the singer”.
    And to a certain extent, “it’s the whole boat, not the “x”, in which X could mean MAN diesels or bunkbeds.

Every boat is a compromise, so pick the “whole” over any specific “x”. I’d rather have well maintained MANs over shoddily maintained Cats or whatever engine is installed . Focus on the fact bunk beds are only used when sleeping, a functional use of space -and if you boat correctly your guests should be soundly asleep 2 mins after their head hits the pillow.

A boat is the whole package, and part of the charm are things you thought would be a big deal turn out to be no big deal—- and they things you didn’t focus on become apparent flaws only after use.

Pick the best maintained one that fits your genera criteria. You are getting good advice from guys who know boats.

And remember, any performer who sings “That’s Alright Mama” doesn’t have to be Elvis to make it enjoyable; and even Elvis couldn’t make the crappy songs in many of his movies into “hits”.
    LuvBigBoats likes this.
  15. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Great advice, and I'm slowly coming to realize that. For instance, I was focused on avoiding aluminum fuel tanks, which is near impossible in my search, and insisting on ample bow seating, also very rare with my boats. So those are no longer deal killers.

The engine analogy is fine except that I'm going to rule out any shoddily maintained engines regardless, so that's not really relevant. I just refuse to be raked over the coals when it comes to service and parts, especially service I know I'm going to need with those MAN engines.

I'm starting to consider the over-under bunks, even though not ideal.

Appreciate the message.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes I have experience with mid 2000's VSC's.

I don't think the parts are anymore expensive than Yanmar in the same HP. Why do you keep thinking that MAN parts are SO expensive? They're not. ALL of the engine manufacturers require an annual service that generally consists Of: Oil and oil filters, secondary and primary fuel filters, engine zincs...When you consider that MAN's have NO ZINCS, and Cats and Yanmars have a slew of them to change annually or faster......paying 20% more for a few filters than an equivalent CAT and on par with Yanmar and not having to buy any zincs, only difference is MAN common rails require full synthetic oil.......Yanmar intervals are 1 year or 200 hours, CATs 1 year or 250 hours, MANs are 1 year or 400 hours.......All of the dealers are the same $130-150 an hour for a dealer mechanic regardless if it's MAN, CAT, VOLVO, Cummins etc.
    LuvBigBoats likes this.
  17. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

My info on the MANs comes from the guy who services them around here (factory authorized service). Apparently if parts are needed they are very expensive, as in multiples of the cost for similar parts for other engines. Also it seems like labor runs high, not because of rates, but because the engines require more time due to needing to reach hard to access parts of the engines in order to perform the maintenance. Not sure why he would lie given he's the guy doing the work. Also have read a ton on the various forums and that seems to be the common perception anyway. Maybe it's one of those stories that got traction and has a life of its own? I don't know. People (not you) also say it on this forum.

Sorry, the question re mid-2000s VSCs was designed to get your thoughts on the 67 if you have any. Also any idea about availability of boat specific parts?
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can usually get most VSC parts from Viking yachts, they have a lot of stuff in stock. Be very wary of the teak as it's probably on it's last leg and needs to be replaced if it hasn't been already. They're a fairly good boat, I wouldn't say terrific. On most VSC's access to repair anything was very tight and frustrating. I don't know the ride characteristics of that model......delivered a 58' express, 64' flybridge long distances, and they rode fairly good.....in that era......... I've managed a lot of MAN's, they're good/reliable motors. Price aftercooler replacement costs on an equal set of CATS and amortize that over 6 years.......and MANs begin to look like a bargain. I've managed a set of 2007 1100's since 2011, we've never had any major failures at all, turbo's have never been off of those motors even.......1000 hour service was done at 1000 hours, not on a every 2 year basis.....we did have the alarm monitoring boards go bad early on.....I think it was around $4k to replace the pair.......some sensors/sendors here and there.....but those have gotten to be really good.......they've been great engines.......Working on them is relatively easy, nothing really super complex about them. Just had to have a set of heads pulled off of 2020 Cat C-18's with 260 hours, and the oil pan dropped on one and gasket replaced, if that tells you anything.....both were leaking oil and coolant externally. MAN heads are EASY in comparison as each cylinder has it's own head.......versus a 320 lb cylinder head.
  19. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

In my SoCal experience a few years ago there are 5x-10x more service options in San Diego. Plenty of Man people. So take a little vacation a bit south when it’s Time to get some work done. The pool is amazing at Kona Kai marina.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In the last 13 years I ve put about 6000 hours total first on a pair of 3412Es and the C32s without major issues. Just routine service. I think the most expensive part beside the aftercooler upgrade has been a C32 ECU at about $2500. I wonder how much MAN charges for an ECU?

all I know is that a few years ago I compared service costs like 1000 and 3000 hours between both and MAN service was 3 to 4 times more.