Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder

Looking for Coastal Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by LuvBigBoats, Jan 1, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't remember. A couple very knowledgable Captains ran the 66' over distances and HATED the way it handled in the ICW (speed). Once in the ICW just South of Cocoa Beach where it's a mile wide and around 10-12' I decided, well let me put it up to cruise and see if she'll get over the hump. NOPE, bow way up in the air, engines turning 1950, speed still 7.x knots and 6' waves directly parallel with the side of the boat.

62's run a bit better, but are far from perfect. They also have the tendency to throw a huge stern wake even under 8 knots......so slow speed minimum wake, you're stuck doing more of an idle speed........
  2. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Just curious, our last boat would cavitate and not get on plane in shallow water. Always felt it was related to the under water exhaust and high pressures below the hull in shallow water.
    Back on topic, the 54/58/ 62 Offshore are classic PH cruisers. Only a few listings available. Pricey, but will always be popular. With those large aft decks, I would take advantage of the 8 to 9 kt cruise speed and put out a few trolling rods when in the right water. :D
    TahoeJohn likes this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

10 feet UNDER the keel?? Or 10’ depth?

it’s normal for boats to loose a knot when running at hull speed in shallow water. The depth at which speed is affected is directly tied to LWL and I wonder if there is a ballpark formula. My 53 hatt with 4’ draft looses a knot when running 9kts in water under 7 to 8’ but pops up on plane easily in these depth

Other boats I ve run in the 70/90 range loose speed when water depth get below 5’ to 6’ under the keel. I haven’t had a chance to do much testing but with 110’ seems to need 7 to 8’ under the keel to achieve full hull speed at the same RPM

I rarely get on plane with less than 3’ under the keel but none of the boats I ve ran had issues getting up on plane with at least 3’ under the keel. Last week we did a sea trial with the 5 1/‘ draft 110 and she popped up easily in 9’ depths

that said as a full time captain I don’t run as many boats as you do, far from It
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

in shallower water you usually have to be very gentle adding power to avoid cavitation
  5. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We tried that, but did not work. It would normally take at least 13 to 14'of water to get on plane, draft was 5'. The boat did not run bow up when coming up on plane, it ran fairly flat with a built in wedge at the transom.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What boat was that? That would mean never being able to plane on Biscayne bay where depth average 10’ at low tide.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

10' UNDER the keel or the vessel would not exceed 7.8 knots, no matter how much power you gave it. Anything over 1250 rpms with less than 15' water depth and it wouldn't go any faster. Just lift the bow up, throw a giant wave parallel with the boat and stay the same speed.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That s insane. How can hull shape cause this.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not a naval architect. But possible keel shape, hull shape, shaft angle, all of the above. It's a semi displacement hull, that can't break displacement speed if you're not in 15' of water or more. In fact if you're running 15 knots in deep water and get into shallow water, that boat would slow right down almost immediately.
  10. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Maybe a naval architect can explain that strange occurrence. Did the props start cavitating?
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, 80% load was around 1950 rpms. Bow was very high. Massive wake directly parallel with the center of the boat that went straight out 90 degrees from the boat. Would not go any faster, tabs didn't do anything.
  12. Pama62Lover

Pama62Lover New Member

I found my Parents a 62' Pama in 2021 on the West Coast. They love it! He has 2 Detroit Diesels. It's a 2005 and was refit in 2016 by Nordlund Yachts in 2016. They live on it, and just love it :)
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022