Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights

Looking for Coastal Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by LuvBigBoats, Jan 1, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

AB can build a good boat. I hear Riva builds a pretty good boat. Problem with Italian builders, is they're more like general contractors than builders, so their quality control varies considerably from boat to boat, depending upon WHICH sub-contractor did the electrical, which sub-contractor did the wood work. They hire many different sub-contractors to build the boat and do the electrical, the wood work, etc. Last I heard, Azimut used 7 different electrical companies, none of them follow the blue prints, or even use the same equipment/components in the same boat.

Take an American builder like Hatteras or Westport. EVERYTHING from bow to stern is installed by a long term Hatteras or Westport employee. The electrical is always run the same, follows the blue prints, uses the same components. If you have an issue, one phone call and either company can tell you within minutes: This is the part number you need, this is exactly where it is located, and this is where you can buy it. Also they don't close the factory for a month, twice a year for holiday. They build quality boats, with teak decsks that will last 15 years, paint that will last 12+ years, they don't have caulking anywhere (let alone EVERYWHERE on a Euro boat), bow rails are welded, not pinch fit with allen screws that back out, interior furnishings that don't come unglued within 10 years. Ceiling panels that don't fall down in 5' seas. Fiberglass fuel tanks that last the life of the boat, versus aluminum ones and S/S and Azimuts are prone to cracking for some reason.

Easy- Price. Also they sell the sizzle (flashiness) but not the steak......The boats are flashy and look good at the expense of a quality build. Bayliner was the largest builder in the world, where are they now? Galleon is chopping at Azimuts business here, left and right.

Blisters- were a thing on darn near every build from 80's and past......I've never seen a Hatteras where it became anything more than a cosmetic issue and I've seen LOTS of them over the years. Blisters that deep, is a rare event and the fact that the owner didn't catch, maintain and treat them earlier on.
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

That's yet again a LOT of sweeping generalization, as already seen when you commented on Absolute.
    Which funnily, is one of several exceptions to the "problem" you mention.
    But let's leave it at that, life's too short to tilt at windmills.
    Also because if all you know of the Italian boatbuilding industry are AB and Riva (and as hearsay, by the way!), I can't rewrite a whole book of which you barely heard of just one or two pages.

Let me just mention that you will never find a post of mine, neither here nor in any other forums, where I comment about Hatteras or Westport building methods.
    Call me old fashion, but I have this habit of not commenting about something I know nothing about, you see...
  3. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

So after looking quite a while and with your help, I decided on a 62' Offshore pilothouse. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but they seem to hold value well and it had the best combo of wants versus sacrifices.

No fiberglass fuel tanks, bunk beds and sideways master bad were the main sacrifices. But I got lots of bridge seating, bow seating, dual pilothouse helm chairs, nice walkaround which makes for safer mooring, classic look, double transom door that gives a great feeling of being on the water when sitting in the cockpit, and great support from the guys at Offshore.

Closing hopefully Monday. Will post a pic when I figure out how to do so.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  4. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

offshores are very solidly built boats. Good luck with her
  5. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Good choice.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

+1. Haven't been aboard an Offshore in about 15 years, but met the builder at the Miami show (circa 2006), took a tour and thought it was a well built boat. Congrats and good luck!
  7. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I only see two of those on YW. I agree those two that are listed seem to be holding value quite well. Seems like 20+ year old boats are older than a lot of what we have been talking about in your search, how old is your pending deal?
  8. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Thanks all.

This a 2004. Very clean. High hours but relatively low on gallons since vast majority of hours were at hull speed.

P.S.--this was not on Yachtworld

Double Transom Doors.jpeg Bridge 1.jpg Bow 1.jpg Interior 2.jpg Front Port.jpeg
    gr8trn likes this.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

If the photos are anything to go by, you can say that again!
    The model above the galley is lovely, by the way.
  10. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Thanks! I like it a lot as well.
  11. YachtForums

12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We looked at a used 72 Offshore at a flibs awhile back, it was an impressive boat and huge compared to the 62 but would require a full time Capt. The 62 is what I would consider max size for owner operators. Also much easier to find a slip when cruising. The 62 Offshore is our favorite traditional PH design of all the models we looked at over the years.
    LVB found a gem, like the double transom doors!
  13. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Yes--nice write-up; a grown up version of my boat with a lot more space in the engine room and crew quarters. The saloon and pilothouse seem pretty similar.

62' was about as big as I was willing to go. Considered a 64 Hatt as well and the 65/70' Pacific Mariner, but this checked more important boxes.

Thanks--I'm pretty excited
  14. YachtForums

Can't speak to seaworthiness or systems integration, but as previously posted above, it felt like a solidly built boat. I hope you'll keep us informed about your ownership experience in the coming years.
    LuvBigBoats likes this.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run several Offshores, they have some very interesting handling traits as far as seaworthiness goes.
  16. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Which models are you talking about?
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran a 66' and a 62'. Neither of which would do over 7.8 knots unless you had over 10' of water under their keel, made traveling the ICW a tiring ordeal. They both had slightly funky handling quarks in certain conditions.......would hunt left/right in certain sea states.....off of stern quarter etc.......
  18. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Never heard any bad comments on the 62. Did the 66 have have under water exhaust?
  19. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Luv, congratulations. I really like the model as well as the 54 which is obviously a fair bit smaller. Keep us posted on how it goes. Enjoy.
  20. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Thanks! I think there was a 54 in the yard when I did my haul-out. Looked very large for a 54.