Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Looking for Coastal Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by LuvBigBoats, Jan 1, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Looks cosmetic. Many of not most boats have a few hairline cracks here and there. Sometimes they come back but if that’s the extent of it I would not worry
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

do you think cracked fuel tanks in a mid 60’ vessel that’s only a few years old normal? Or how about water leaks from the salon ceiling in 3 totally different places is normal?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cracks look cosmetic but you can see the Gelcoat is too thick. So they’re the first cracks with more to come. It might be why the hull was painted.
  4. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

The boat was on an end-tie so I couldn't get a good look at the stb side. It would be very annoying to have to continually deal with this.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

All I know is that I'm still waiting to hear from you about who you think that here in Italy can actually build a decent boat.
    See my question in the very first line of post #79 in this thread.

The other mistery still unaswered (not just by yourself, in fairness) is how Azimut managed to become the largest and by far more successful builder on the planet, if all what they build - Benetti included - is total crap. By now, you might at least have considered that there can be many differences between what owners and captains look for, in a boat.
  6. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Not so much, if you would chose to deal with that by just accepting it as a fact of life, and not even bother fixing it. Which is what most folks would do.
  7. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Looks more like impact damage...dock rash?
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

volume doesn’t mean quality. Bayliner used to be one of the largest small boat builder in volume...

Most buyers, especially first time buyers, don’t know anything about constructions, system and quality. They look at styling, flat screen TVs, drink holders and the kind of stuff that will impress their neighbors. I ve lost track of the number of guests who ve looked at a mutt and commented how nice it looks.

Are there great Italian boats ? Sure. Just not your average Mutt.
  9. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

I don't think it's got anything to do with the doc. Pretty high up on the hull for that.
  10. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

A short piling, owner should know. If it is listed they are required to divulge known damage such as this on the listing agreement.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If it was a damaging hit against a piling the d be more than one thin hairline gelcoat crack. This is the typical slightly too thick gelcoat in a corner. Nothing more.

And even if... what do you want to disclose: “on November 11 2015, vessel may have leaned a little too hard on a piling”. :)
  12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Pascal, you have never seen a boat hull damaged in a storm by pilings? Could have been hit buy another boat... likely a bad repair job. The pics show cracks from each corner of the openings meeting and the crack continuing downward, not your normal gelcoat stress crack. Can be repaired again but a buyer would want a deduct.
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Agreed.
    But you'll forgive me if after you called blisters the very deep osmosis and delamination patches on a Hatt hull of which I posted a photo, I don't think it's fair to dismiss first time buyers who care about TVs and drink holders... :)
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Sure hatts were prone to blister in the early days. One well know surveyor even suggested Hatteras had a patent on blisters. But who cares.... there isn’t one marina on the US East coast without at least a couple of 70s and 80s vintage Hatteras in perfect running sea worthy condition. I ll take a few harmless blisters over aluminum tanks, delaminated hull or decks

a few years ago I stepped on newish 100ish mutt that was rafted up to us and thought I was going to go thru the swim platform side. That’s how bad it was delaminated. The captain saw my reaction and laughed... explaining that wasn’t the only spot and that they had massive issues with the decks.

a few months later the owner got rid of the boat.

So... I ll stick to my 51 year old hull... we sandblasted the bottom during the repower, rolled a few coats of epoxy and no more blisters. No big deal.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My friend.
    You really need to get over our dis-like of Da Muts and contribute positively as you had on some other contributions. There will never be a proper comparison with old US built hulls and supposed modern Mut assemblies.
    Your Mut song is getting old, out of tune and ignored.
    Luv Ya lots :),
    ,rc
    Rickfisher likes this.
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

As if I ever tried to sell you an Azimut instead.
    Why should I, after I already said in the past that I wouldn't buy one for myself?
    Regardless, the point is, do you think that mine or your preferences matter?
    The answer is not one iota, whether we like it or not.

After all, Hatteras was established roughly one decade before Azimut, and as you say there isn't one marina on the US E coast without some of their 70s and 80s boats.
    BUT, look where the companies are now.
    Of course, you are free to think that this doesn't mean anything, and make laughable comparisons with Bayliner.
    But at the end of the day, you should come to terms with the fact that only one of these companies did - and keep doing - something right, while the other failed miserably.
  17. mapism

mapism Senior Member

See my reply to Pascal.
    Do you really think that I'm the one who should get over something?
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

YES!!
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Without even bothering to read what I wrote, obviously?
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The problem with Hatteras in the last 20 years is that they have been way to conservative in styling and layout. They have been catering to old folks maximizing interior spaces instead of outside space which is why people buy boats in the first place. Aft decks shrunk into balconies, side decks were eliminated... personally I see them as skin cancer survivor boats.

Anytime I had a customer forget about the flat screens and the drink holders :) the small aft decks meant they even would not even look at one in the flesh

Now in the last few years, Hatteras has greatly improved layouts and outside spaces but unfortunately it is probably too late to get out of the niche builder corner.

Ole Jack must be spinning in his grave especially considering how ugly the boats that bear his name look nowadays.

kudos to Mutt for being so successful
    Rickfisher likes this.