Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck

Looking for Coastal Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by LuvBigBoats, Jan 1, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Still looking. Frustrated at the craziness of the market right now.

Anyway, looking at the 63-64 Sunseeker Manhattan but none of the pics show the entire engine room (very few ads show any pics of the engine room). Is it that tiny that no one wants to show it in the ads? Trying to find one with Cats, which would make a cramped engine room all that much more cramped I suppose.

Also I saw an inkling of a suggestion that Azimuts may have improved on quality in the later years. Any truth to that? Or would I be buying into problems regardless of year?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sunseeker’s engine rooms are pretty easy to get around in. No a friend of mine runs new azimuts and they still have lots of problems and all of the ceiling panels still fall off all over the floor in 5’ seas!
  3. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

OK thanks. Wishful thinking I guess.

What do you think is a better built boat (assuming initial bugs worked out and similar maintenance, which I have yet to verify), 62 Neptunus or 64 Princess, both with C18s?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I’d prefer the neptunus over the princess, easier to get parts and work on etc. teak decks are thicker.
  5. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Thanks. I do like the fact that there's no balsa on the Princess and it has a better layout, but I hear you.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They’re close in quality. I ran a 64’ princess from ft. Lauderdale to Wisconsin. The engine room was incredibly tight, even for daily oil checks, unless you wanted to remove the carpet, salon couch, and floor hatches
  7. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

You sure it was a 64 and not a 61? The engine room on the 64 looks pretty good.

If you're inclined check this out. Engine room video starts at 11:25:

8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It was a 2004 64’ princess (I’ve also run the older 61’ and several new 62’s. The engine room was so tight that I couldn’t get past the back of the motors at 6’3 and 225lbs. Could only check the oil on one engine by extending my arm all of the way in front of me to reach it. We had a massive algae problem and I was changing separate daily and secondaries every 3 and it was a massive pain. The new 62’s the engine room is adequate and you can get around except outboard side of starboard engine is tight.
  9. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

OK thanks--this is a 2011 64'.
  10. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Just get a skinny captain.
    Rickfisher likes this.
  11. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

Never had MANS and am looking at boats with a variety of engines. I've heard the same horror stories of MAN repair costs but they are just stories so nice to get some information based on first hand experience. So why/how do MAN's not have zinc's? Thanks
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Due to the way the motor is bonded and the fact that the heat exchangers and aftercoolers are isolated with large rubber o-rings.
  13. Rkbk

Rkbk New Member

I am curious if the 2015 686 Hampton Endurance would have a poor hull design and handling issues also or have they updated their designs?
  14. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Still looking. There's a boat the wife and I like, but it has issues with hull cracks in the paint (hull was painted over the gelcoat) that I'm not sure are significant. It's an OA. Apologies in advance for the barrage of pics, but trying to be thorough.

Any advice?

Is this a run don't walk situation? IMG_2575 (1).jpeg IMG_2585.jpeg IMG_2584 (1).jpeg IMG_2576.jpeg IMG_2575 (1).jpeg IMG_2574 (1).jpeg
  15. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I don't know. Those don't look like I would want my boat to look like. Is that common with that era OA? It's a bit much for my tastes. If I were liking that boat otherwise I would get a proper shipwright to quote the proper repair for that and go from there.
  16. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Used to seeing crazing, not that. Worried about it coming back after the repair.
  17. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Gelcoat is most prone to cracking around tight bends, corners and areas that flex. Unless this area has been subject to impact, it looks cosmetic to me. Not a dealbreaker.
  18. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Bashing Azimut as always?
    Quelle surprise... o_O
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

+1.
  20. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Even if cosmetic, is this the kind of thing that'll keep coming back after repair?