Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mulder

Looking for better DD / Bertram motor mounts

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt Ralph, Oct 19, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

It would appear with that setup you have to replace like for like.

Otherwise , you are looking at fabricating new Hanger Brackets and even the Foundations to get a more modern Resilient Mount in place. Can be done, but now it would definitely be a project.

What are the chances of finding new/refurbished mounts?

Maybe get the rubber elements 3D scanned and print a mold for a rubber/injection company to reproduce?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The original company was called Vibrators Eliminators. Long ago; No Longer in Business .

There has to be some replacement model. Same mounts were used in Hatteras's.
    I'll call Sam's today now that I think of this.
  3. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    Some or all of the vibration could be alignment. My experience is big boats and ships. I've never had a diesel propulsion engine that wasn't directly bolted to the hull structure. Not a very yachtie solution, but easy to align and keeps the alignment.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Were pulling in the next few months. Rechecking the shafts.
    Thru the years we have tried 3 different sets of wheels.
    Std shaft was corrected for slight bend 10 years ago but did not make a difference then.
    Flanges and couplers were checked.

Were retired now and want our home / ship to stop rattling.
    Knowing the old mounts are on solid rubber and give way a lil for-aft movement, I'm sure technology has my answers after 41 years.
    Just have to find that technology that fits.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, 5500 LBS (US) wet.
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Good point, something to consider.
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Hard mounted engines are possible when you have the stringers and structure designed for them. Probably not the case for this MY. Then you have to take a look at mass, frequencies and resonance/harmonics. The resilient mounts take the extra work out of the equation.
  8. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

You mentioning harmonics reminded me of our last boat last boat a 50C Hatteras. There was a stainless adjustable support post on each of the inboard engine stringers next to the aft engine mount. I thought they were supports for the salon floor until talking to Hatteras support. I wanted to remove them for more open space in a tight er. Surprisingly, he said they were for resonance/harmonics, that can be adjusted to quieten the engine vibration and oscillation, never would have guessed they were for that purpose.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

As you kids know, I sent e-mails and updates all over the world at all hours of day and night.
    Early Monday 5 e-mails went out then I got a nap. I awoke to two responses.
    None heard from the others.

Danny at High Tide Marine in Marathon always responds to my e-mails quickly.
    I have notes from Danny dated November 2004. Always same day.

A new contact at PYI Inc, Dan, responded quickly also.

These kids get real thanks for their response and time to help me.

I felt I needed to pass good things along.
  10. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Some of you may have seen a recent article (Passagemaker?) discussing alignment and vibration. The pic attached is of an "AquaDrive". Instead of bolting to the gears, the prop shaft bolts to the AquaDrive, which is bolted to the stringers and transfers the load from the props to the boat. There is no force pushing on (or pulling in reverse) the engine/gears. This allows for a MUCH more flexible mount which is in turn able to absorb more vibration, and the whole alignment issue is moot, as the tolerances are now huge in comparison.

Attached Files:

11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I view that product as a sort of band aid for not properly aligning an engine with a shaft line. It allows for miss-alignment which I personally would not accept and adds another component to be maintained/serviced.
  12. captholli

captholli Senior Member

+1 / Poor example of a proper thrust bearing with H.P. limitations
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We managed a GB with a similar set up. I still felt the engines (Cat C9s) vibrate at low RPMs.
    Ate up a lot of room also.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Received a timely response from Paul at AV Products inc this morning.
    Query sent late last night.
    These are very close to what I'm needing.

The other recommended sites models were just to tall.

Still looking and hunting.
  15. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just sent them a note. I may know something tomorrow.
    Thx, :D
  17. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Whatever happened with the rubber mounts?
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Dan at www.pyiinc.com Was the fastest response early the next morning by e-mail. We sent great notes and ideas back and forth for a few days.

Paul at www.avproductsinc.com was second fastest to respond, mid next morning. Also sent great notes and ideas back and forth for a couple of days.

Not working for these companies nor have purchased a product from them yet, I have learned a lot from these gents and value their time helping me. I am sure they would be helpful to anybody else.

The decision maker between these two products for us, is the height adjustment threaded rod.
    PYI offers a one piece mount with the threaded rod well built in with the mount No worry here that it will ever come apart.
    AV Products Offers screw in to the mount threaded rods. A lil customization can be offered here.
    Both companies offer low profile mounts that we need also. Other brands were just to tall and would not fit vertically.

For my project, I'm leaning to the AV P mounts. If you look back at the pictures above; I can remove the threaded rod from my old mounts, slide the old mounts out, then slide in the new AV P mounts and screw down the new threaded rod.
    A fixed rod would require raising the engine several inches. I'm to old for this.

Hatteras also used these mounts. Alex at Sams is doing some homework on this also.

My ole buds at Huckins Yacht are digging around also.

I am still scratching body ports on trying to fix the old mounts up also. Years ago was just to get some rubber back into the mounts, maybe take some more science to it and try again.

I'll have a final plan by mid December when we return to Jacksonville with our projects.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member