Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Looking for a nice used 50-54 SFMY

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptCook, Oct 17, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Hi all.

I never had a yacht but was recently introduced to sport fishing and SF boats by a friend of mine and became addicted.

It's been always my dream to live aboard, cruising and fishing in the Caribbean and possibly in Belize, Panana or Costa Rica.

After doing my research and reading the forum for a while I'm still confused as to what particular models of SFMY to chhose from. I really like the reviews and looks of Bertram and Hatteras in 50-60' range.

Here's what I'm looking for and I'm very particular about these criterias:

- Fresh but used model, under $1M (early 2000s and above)
    - Solid glass bottom (which particular models/years have it?)
    - Open and comfortable flybridge (prefer helm in the middle)
    - Modern electronics
    - Most fuel efficient and reliable engines
    - Prefer classic teak interior and mezzanine, teak trim (i.e. Hatteras GT series, Bertram ???)
    - Modern and comfortable interior/layout for a family of 4 +
    - Is there a BBQ grill option on any these? :)

I'd appreciate any expert feedback.
  2. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

No problem see link attached
    2006 Hatteras 50 Convertible with warranties Power Boat For Sale - www.**************
    Again above link
    Too much boat for that $
    Buy this:

Attached Files:

3. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

franzmerenda, thank for your suggestion. Actually it's a great boat that you suggested. I may have to contact the broker.

I 'd like to know what year models have all the options that I listed (except BBQ). Right now, I love the Hatteras marketing. They have all the brochures on their web site about "Hatt Advantage". Yet, I can find any info on the options available on their older models, like 50 and 54C. Same for Bertram. They had problems recently and I need to avoid the "problematic" models and get something to choose from to my specs.
  4. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I encourage you to go ahead. Large boat ownership can be wonderful. Also, I'll mention that I am currently living on my Bertram 54. I wouldn't give up an inch of space if I could afford it. I also think I could handle a 60' or 63' just as easy.

My boat has seen consistent use since purchase and refit because it's a nice place to be. All the comforts of a small but luxurious home with views and adventure to die for.

Took 7 folks over to Monheghan Island, Maine for an overnight last week. Several stayed on the island at the Inn. The 54' is comfortable for 4. Underway, she is smooth and confident.

I cruise 20 knots now on 80 gallons or I can cruise 13 knots on 40 gallons. Power is old fashioned but functional DD 12V71TI. I would choose modern CAT power if I could afford it but performing properly, these engines are fun.

Even though, that is high fuel burn, most recreational boaters will spend much more money in other areas. Maintenance, upgrades, storage etc. is where the bulk of the money will go.
  5. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Appreciate your advise. Say if you had a budget of $700K, which model(s) would you pick now? I know many people who always upgrade b/c they can afford. I want to buy something I can keep for years to come b/c I'm pretty organized with things and keep everthing in tip-top shape, at least cosmetically and maintenance-wise. What I can't deal with is the mechanical issues.
  6. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

7. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Well, I've seen a lot of these over $1M already. The problem is it's almost double of what I'm really willing to spend right now.

Maybe, something like this:

2001 Hatteras Convertible Power Boat For Sale - www.**************
    2002 Hatteras "Convertible" Power Boat For Sale - www.**************

Would these fit my criteria?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hatteras 54' SF is a much better riding boat than the 50' SF. Id go with that or a 61' Viking and skip a late model Bertram entirely. The 61' Viking is a much larger boat overall than the 54' Hatteras.....
  9. franzmerenda

60 Hat was probably one of the best boats in SF market till the Manufacturer introduced new hulls in 2003, with the 54.
    I would address my investigation on these, against any of the older models.
    And I would go definitely for Cat C30 configuration.
    There are more than few boats up to 2005 in the seven hundred grand range.
    This one would probably be my choice if I was in the market for a Hat (fake windshield apart):

2007 Hatteras 54 Convertible Power Boat For Sale - www.**************

And if u think she's too far, consider I went to Alabama from Italy, to chase mine :)
  10. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

With the strength of EURO and a down market, you probably got a deal of lifetime, just my guess. I like good deals, too and will start looking for one.

Hatt says they introduced the "improved hull" on 54GT in 2002, with concave hull shape on the bottom that reduces the roll in the beam sea and creates more room inside and more aerodynamic convex shape on the top (Carolina flair). It looks pretty obvious on the later models. I will definitely look for something beginning with this year model.
  11. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Capt J, I've not looked at Vikings at all. Any particular model years to consider in terms of construction, electronics and engine packages?
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, the newer you go the better the power packages and many then have Cats instead of Man's (pre-common rail) etc. etc..... Construction is good on all of them. Electronics just depends on the boat itself. The 61' Viking has a much better cockpit arrangement than any Hatteras of the Era......2 fishboxes in the floor, a livewell, a transom fish box or livewell etc etc.....
  13. franzmerenda

It was supposed to be...but, with economy here gliding as a brick, Diesel exceeding 8 bucks per gallon and Clowns ruling our Country, we're now bleeding to death!
    Back to nice subjects, the GT series actually has been introduced in 2009 with the new 60, while pockets in hulls have been improved with the 54 in 2002.
    Boats with pockets are planing faster, riding less seated on sterns, more fuel efficient and rolling a little be less, but not that much.
    The biggest difference is however how they go on plane.
    The 54 compared to 50 is an animal! The downside is you'll have up to 30GPH more burned at cruise speed. And you'll have to break more piggy banks to get one.
    The 50 I suggested you was in my list when I bought mine. At that time she was brand new, even not titled, in spite the model went out of production in 2006.
    As far as I've been told she went repo and sold in 2010; may be later.
    Assuming she comes with Cat warranty, that's the girl to focus on if you choose the model.
    But if you can afford it (and I hope you're), go for the 54.
    Capt J also is a good suggestion, 61 Viking is a great boat but, if Man equipped, put some more $ in the project for service/maintenance. ;)
  14. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Now, we are talking. :)

Yes, sorry I meant 54 not 54GT but now i know when GT went into production. So basically, wait another couple of years (and I can) and I will get a 54GT for the same price. Bingo!!!

From what I read and hear Hatteras is the way to go and well equipped 54 or 60GT will totally serve all my needs.

Attached Files:

15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

CaptCook,

I just removed your hot-linked images, reduced the size and uploaded them as attachments. Please read our rules before uploading images to YF again.
  16. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Sorry and thank you. Every forum has different rules. No time to read. :)
  17. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Can anybody tell me in what year Hatteras 50 and 60 models were last upgraded and how? What was 54C for instance? Thanks again.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Don't overlook a 50 or 53 Post with their 16'11' beam and flatter bottom for stability at anchor
  19. franzmerenda

50C discontinued in 2006
    54C with hull pockets launched in 2002
    68C launched in 2005
    64C introduced in 2006 (already discontinued or upon request)
    60C last batch of production 2006
    54GT and 60 GT introduced in 2008
    77C launched in 2008 (only enclosed bridge)
    63GT launched 2011
  20. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

franzmerenda, thanks a bunch. This clears a lot of my questions.

Any huge difference between 54C circa 2002+ and 54 GT?
    Any Berts or Vikings are similar to the above in quality construction and ride and made with solid glass hull bottom?