Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Looking for a mentor, someone to show me the ins and outs

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Nikkirome5, Apr 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Nikkirome5

Nikkirome5 New Member

Hi,

I’m looking for a mentor if that’s what you would call it! Someone to show me the ropes and ins and outs of boating. We plan on buying a boat to live aboard in about 6-12 months and I would love to just throw myself in the mix and get as much experience as I can to ensure I’m making the right move. We are looking to get a 40-50 foot motor yacht/trawler.
    I would be willing to help out out with the maintenance or whatever else is needed so I can truly get an idea of what it would be like on a daily basis. I’m young and inexperienced in this aspect, but I’m enthusiastic and willing to learn. I want to be knowledgeable when it’s time to purchase. I look forward to possibly working with you in the future!!! Thanks!

We live in Seabrook, Tx near Houston/Galveston
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Check out your local Power Squadron: attend meetings, volunteer, and make buddies. Hang out at your local marinas, buddy up to the dockmaster with offers of help, ask the local boaters if you can give them a hand. I'm sure there's a boat owner who would be grateful to trade polishing stainless and other intriguing jobs for the tutorial.
  3. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

There's plenty of cruising couples on Youtube, some can be quite informative. One would be Sailing La Vagabonde, they are more entertainment than informative. There is also the cruisers and sailors forum which will have a lot of good info.
  4. Nikkirome5

Nikkirome5 New Member

Thank you. I started at forums and Facebook groups and got some responses, hopefully there is follow through. If that doesn’t work, I’ll go out. I’m a little shy, but I’ll do what it takes to learn!
  5. Nikkirome5

Nikkirome5 New Member

I’ll follow them. Thank you. There is so much information out there!!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Go to your closest, decent sized marina and walk the docks. Talk to people and see if some of them will show you things. Problem is, you have no idea if what they're doing is right or wrong.