Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

| Lloyd Werft | 140M | "SOLARIS" ex. Project 'Solaris' | 2021 |

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by Hohum, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Dude123

Dude123 Member

How much would such a yacht cost?
    The exterior does not look very complex to build. I think most of the cost must be in the interior.
  2. Gage Rowden

Gage Rowden Active Member

IMO anywhere between $300-$450 million. Depends on what article you read. No one knows execpt the owner, the builder and maybe a few select people.
  3. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

I don't think it's correct to say that she doesn't look very complex to build.
    The yacht is supposed to be somewhere between 138.96m (original project length) and 145m, she is equipped with 2 Azipod powered by 9 MWatts (a lot of power), aft on the main deck there is probably a huge glass-bottom swimming pool...with Luna in mind, I suppose it will be one of the biggest pools.
    Looking at the tender bay, it seems equipped with the biggest shell doors ever seen so far (I think between 15m-20m). Aft a huge and super well-equipped beach club area is expected.
    We don't know anything about the heli hangar, but if it is integrated into the mast structure..it would be something new.
    Last thing...remember, yachts like Octopus, Luna and Solaris are quite tricky when you have to determine, define and control the flexion of the hull because aft you don't have the superstructure to help to contrast the movements, the main deck is completely free...
    So..IMO the price is between 450 and 550 million. Mr A. sold Luna for 360 million, and she is "only" 115 metres.
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

But Solaris will be the last ship the Lloyd Yard will build. Today it was officially anounced in the news, that the Lloyd Yard will shut down operation by the end of the year 2021 and the company will be liquidated. They are looking for local investors but I do not believe that any capable investor in my area would be willing to throw more money in that hole.

One more yard this customer was able to have the yard ownership loose interest in that business. As I mentioned before, if you go to bed with such a bride in the evening, you may wake up in the morning with no bed and house anymore :cool:.
  5. mediterannean

mediterannean Member

But they were supposed to have REV coming to their premises for outfitting ??
  6. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

If that could be done additionally until the end of this year, why not. That is not a complete newbuild. But personally I doubt that. Placing such a large project into a yard with a dead line like, this is a pretty high risk. The remaining work force of app. 350 people will most likely not wait until the last day to look for a new job. There are some prominent yards in the neighbourhood in need for more qualified workforce.
  7. mediterannean

mediterannean Member

Could you please give a link of the related news, you mentioned ?
  8. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

It was in the news on TV and radio in northern Germany. (www.ndr.de). Most newspapers had it also. The work force of the yard was informed on Friday afternoon about the shutdown. Local politicians want to look for investors but the news said, they have no new orders. Means, not a good investment.
  9. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

As per the name of the yacht... Project Solaris is the project name but could Solaris be the final name? I mean it would be in theme with his ex yacht name..."Luna" (moon). Solaris being related to the sun could be his way of doing something related but not exactly the same as is the project design wise, colour wise etc. Just thinking...
  10. nmna

nmna Senior Member

Mr. A recently got two Airbus Helicopters ACH145 whose registers are M-SOLO and M-SOLA, so I think Solaris might be the final name.

I've found this link:
    https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/...hip-drydock-lloyd-werft-could-close-down.html
  11. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The Lloyd Yard is owned by the far east based Genting Group. Their reason for buying this yard was their plan to build cruise ships for the Asian market. But these builds were moved to their yard(s) in the baltic sea.

The reason the Lloyd yard has build the complete Solaris is most likely that Mr. A will not be able to place an order at he prominent yards in northern Germany anymore. And I bet, the Lloyd yard will not make a lot of profit on Solaris.

The reason the Llyoyd yard has finished builts and is still doing so, is in reality, that no other yard was interested in this projects like Ulysses, REV and others. They had to take them in order to survive due to lack of other orders.

These Norwegian Yards for example are great commercial shipbuilders that build sturdy and very seaworthy ships for the worst weather areas on this planet. But they are no Megayacht Builders. Their ships are exploration and seismic vessels, oil rig handling and supply vessels and maybe ferries but no Megayachts. And there are NO Megayacht subcontactors for interiors and megayacht systems in Norway.

Therefore their clients accepted the partial built of their ships in Norway and looked for a capable yard in Germany and Italy to finish their project. In the area of Hamburg, Bremen, Bremerhavn and Rendsburg are dozends of companies located, capable of designing, producing and managering highest quality interiors and yacht systems for megayachts. That is the reason northern Germany was their first choice.

If a steel hull of large yacht project arrives at the outfitting yard (even if equipped already with engines and some systems) without this yard being completely involved in the design, construction and built of this ship, they need to do a lot of research work on this hull prior starting the outfitting.

Quality control, precise external and internal measurements (laser measurement), noise, vibration and resonance tests, weight and balance and structual integrety tests are just an example. Tubing and wiring, etc. has to be designed and performed.

And then, you have to find and coordinate all subcontractors. That is a real nightmare and there is a good posibility loosing your good company name in such a project. I do not believe any of the well known northern German yards like Luerssen with all their daughter yards (Blohm & Voss, Kröger Rendsburg) and Abeking would be really interested in such projects. These are no win, no profit adventures, as can be seen with the Lloyd yard.

If You want a Luerssen or Abeking quality ship, You have to lay the complete project into their hands.

The value of a yard consists of their hardware (buildings, docks, machinery), their know how and their workforce. The property of the Lloyd Yard is not very attractive for an investor and their workforce has not been treated very well in the past. I would not trust them to stay with this yard.

Anyhow, Alea iacta est.

Just my 2 (Euro) Cents
  12. Yacht News

13. Dude123

Dude123 Member

Poor Mr A.
    I wonder where is he going to make his next big yacht since you know.
    Gage Rowden likes this.
  14. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

I wouldn't want to be that shipyard :confused:
  15. Yacht News

Much better look at the uncovered "Solaris".

16. mediterannean

mediterannean Member

if she had another 10-15m on the front, she would look much better with this beam
  17. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Nah that’s part of the style.
  18. Yacht News

"Le Grand Bleu" and "Luna" have this arrangement so nothing surprising that "Solaris" has it.
  19. Gage Rowden

Gage Rowden Active Member

She is interesting looking so far. Waiting to see the final look. Definitely looks very similar to Le Grand Bleu and Luna. Since he replaced Luna with Solaris I wonder if he will try to replace Eclipse with a bigger more advanced replacement...