Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Living on a yacht; expenses

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Blue Ghost, Aug 9, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    Thanks

Thanks all, for the replies.

I'm actually in the San Francisco Bay Area. Tokyo was a destination at one point.

I'm actually thinking of moving to Los Angeles, and was weighing the cost of living on a boat verse owning another home, or several apartments. Right now I have homeowners fees on top of property taxes, and I'm just sick and tired of the neighbors and fees for amenities I don't use, and a house part of which I only use.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

3. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

Thanks. I was giving it serious consideration, but circumstances keep shifting as to what I can and cannot do.

I've had a number of violation of privacy issues rampant in my life that local law enforcement cannot address, and now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the reply. I glanced at the thread, but I'm not sure this is the right move for me anymore.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

violation of privacy issues and living on a boat don't go well together. you're often 2' from your neighbor, 1' from the dock, easy access compared to a house or apartment, your car is often a distance away and marinas are often quite empty at off-times.
  5. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Life is less stressful with friends named Smith & Wesson.

P.S.- A flare gun will do, if your friends are not aboard.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

More stressful however if the uninvited are waiting in your home when you arrive.
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Shoulder holster will do just fine.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well with a boat, you can always keep moving it......
  9. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

More stressful for them when they realize

that they are not the only ones waiting for me.

How happy will they be when the Dobermans start chewing on them.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah but then you have a whole other problem. Lots of dog and dog poop in a small space, or lots of long walks. I like my fenced yard and just opening the door, (especially on rainy or wintery nights).
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

The true value of print media - papers for the pooches, refreshed daily.
  12. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

My phone was tapped, my email read, my net activity monitored, and various other unpleasant "civil harassment" aspects. The police would not do anything because it was civil harassment. But, I did file a complaint with the Inspector General with the Department of Justice, and caught one criminal act from someone trying to hack my ISP, at which point the police did act. And, aspects of the other harassment after I filed the complaint with the Inspector General, died off.

I now know who was behind the criminal aspect, and both the Federal and California Department of Justice have those individuals on their radar.

I am still experiencing facets of harassment, and have threatened law suits against individuals and private firms who have cooperated. The effort is enormous.

Living on a yacht will not get me the freedom I want. But it might have been a step in the right direction. At one time I could afford to make that move, and I was hoping to get my life in order so that I could. I may not now.

But thanks.
  13. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Blue Ghost...
    I notice you are from Japan. I don't know the laws there but in the USA and France such matters are serious.

My brother who lives in the USA had these problems going through his divorce in Californian with the Ex-Wife. Primarily she was trying to gain advantage in Court and find "hidden assets". Primarily these were attempts to get my assets in a round about way... As he is retired work-a-day guy he did not have the kind of assets this was worth while. However, all these various wire tapping invasion of privacy and computer hacking range from minor crimes to serious crimes. She was convicted of many many counts of minor crimes but the prosecutor would not go after the serious ones. The U.S. Federal prosecutor did! But she did a plea bargain and got off clean... but her attorney and a PI are both setting in the Federal Prison system for another 12 years! Her best friend who helped in it is subject too a large civil lawsuit besides also being convicted and on probation. It was very very difficult to get things investigated or anyone to paid attention for him. But it became so egregious that the Judge in his divorce sent it to be investigated. I think you may have to go that same route.

However, ultimately you my have to do a change of identity.

I would suggest a 5 year stint in the Légion étrangère as a better way out than your boat idea... here is the recruiting link... Accueil
    I would recommend that you take some French lessons first. The guys from Korea and Japan have a horrible time adjusting because of the language issue and the "western" discipline aspect. The is no hot water in training... they are being environmentally friendly there. There is no laundry service so be prepared to hand wash and press your clothings from beginning to end... the Asian guys have lots of problem with this as the slightest winkle or smudge while on le gard will land you in le taule for 10 days... hard time as your Sargent and Caporal will be in there with you so expect a bloody nose beating everyday. In le taule those that out rank you have free rein to beat you up anytime they want. Be able to run a lot. Patience counts as the patience of the Légion is legendary. Also, the training in the Pyrenees is a frozen putain de merde in winter... if you join now you will be at that stage in the worst of it... setting up the tent square and getting it all inline in a raging snow storm after dark while you are freezing to death is a joy to imagine... then the Caporal's dumping everyones rations in a pot to heat up a gruel... coffee... chocolate bars... all the rest... but its warm and you're freezing starving so its all goo good. But you get pretty much as much wine as you want. You might want to learn to play a musical instrument so you can play all the dirges in the band!
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

15. Marc di Maria

Marc di Maria New Member

life in the yacht is still expensive, between Place on the dock, battery charging, cleaning, marine fees, insurance formalities & others.... everything has the money my friend.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do they go through your garbage and recycling?

If you have nothing to hide, then why worry so much about it?
  17. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Ghost, if you ever get a boat I strongly urge you to get a steel one, or at least aluminum, and make sure there are plenty of large batteries on board. Among many other benefits, this approach will cut down your hat expenses and make it easier to sleep on board.

Best of good fortune regardless.
  18. vaiotom

vaiotom New Member

Expenses ? What's the old saying......if you have to ask, yada, yada, yada.
  19. Marc di Maria

Marc di Maria New Member

I actually join Caltexflanc in all what he said. here's an effective way to save space and money and browse in peace.:)
  20. Marc di Maria

Marc di Maria New Member

I would suggest a 5 year stint in the Légion étrangère as a better way out than your boat idea