Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross

Living on a yacht; expenses

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Blue Ghost, Aug 9, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    If I were buy a forty footer, and decide to live on it for a number of years, what kind of weekly or monthly expenses could I expect? Do I pay for power from the dock that I'm berthed at, or do I have to supply my own electricity? Water? Taxes?

Sorry for such stupid questions, but I only sailed yachts before. I've never owned one.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You pretty much pay for everything associated with the yacht.

Dockage will often be by the foot or meter and be a day or monthly rate.

Electricity from the dock will be charged at a day or amount used rate

Water the same.

Taxes is a whole other scenario and not one where a straight answer can be offered without knowing a lot more about your situation - more than most folks would be willing to disclose to a public forum

It is also crucially important to get whatever your are doing done right so spend a bit and seek professional advice on this subject.
  3. FoxMitchell

FoxMitchell New Member

One answer I always heard for this kind of question was to visit a marina, meet with some people who live in their boats (all I met were incredibly nice people, they tend to be very approachable), and ask them about it. :)
  4. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    Thanks. There's at least a dozen marinas around the Bay Area. It shouldn't be too hard to talk with someone.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I see "location: Tokyo, and then mention of the "Bay Area" which to me indicates San Fransisco. So let me point out that what is charged for and how might be very different in different areas. So I'll leave the tax question alone. As for electric & water, currently most areas I've been in within the U.S. don't charge for water (although that could change in the future). Electric is generally a flat daily rate although I've been seeing marinas turning to meters. If you're metered it could be a heafty bill, because your heat and air conditioning is electric. In most areas of this country electric is the most expensive way to heat. Also, boats aren't the best insulated homes. So settling in a temperate climate is a good move. One thing I want to point out is that you won't be shopping at Costco any more. IOWs you'll be buying things in much smaller quantities, which means that your every day shopping bill could as much as double.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Then there is the whole question of type boat and whether you intend to use it or just sit at the dock, all the expenses associated with the boat itself.

I assume you're talking the Tokyo Bay. There may be someone, but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone here who is there and would have knowledge as to the customary charges there or taxes on a boat there.
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Old saying, "Coldest night was night in San Francisco."
  8. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Down here in Texas, they whack you with a "live aboard" fee, anywhere between $90-150 per month, on top of everything else. I don't know if this is true for the rest of the Country. Oh, and if your boat is large enough to warrant being on the Tee at the end of the dock...that's another up charge.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Never heard that one, but it was obviously coined by someone who'd never spent a February night out on Long Island Sound.

Something else to consider: water. When your water comes from a hose or above ground pipes, you can be dealing with frozen lines or constantly hot water.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We haven't narrowed this down to country yet. Sounds like many are assuming San Francisco Bay. I'm thinking Tokyo Bay. Maybe the OP will clarify.
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The tax situation is an interesting one in CA. Not only will you pay am annual property tax on your vessel, you will also pay a county/municipal tax on the boat slip - yes, a tax on the water space you are renting, in this very unfriendly to boaters state :mad:
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  12. T.T.

T.T. Senior Member

“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”
    Twain
  13. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Fantastic quote that illustrates the fact that SF is a pretty cool place and that Twain ain't from The North.

However, if you are looking to stay warm on a budget and using electric heat (like a dang fool) instead of a good diesel stove like a dickinson the key is conductive heat. An electric mattress pad and a good thick bed spread will have you sweating in a 45 degree room if you want to.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

How would you suggest these two are worn when anywhere out of your bed and feeling cold?
  15. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Wrong type of cool.

Hannibal, Mo. is not near New Orleans.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2!3m1!1s0x87dde8a4093156f5:0x9a8b4e4e76ebaa3c

The Man and Hannibal, Mo.

MarkTwainSamClemens.jpg

WhatIsTheWhiteStuff.jpg

Winter (cold) weather and keeping warm:

Adequate rated sleeping bag with a blanket on top

Or

Flannel sheets - cold until body heat is trapped.

Amazon.com: Flannel - Sheets & Pillowcases / Bedding: Home & Kitchen

Out of Bed:

Heated (electric) clothing:

Heated Clothing - Electric Clothing - Heated Socks & Heated Gloves

Keeping the head (body; not bathroom) warm, a good sailor would use a WOOL WATCH CAP, even in bed, on a cold night.

Amazon.com: woolen hat
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nor is Elmira, NY or Hartford, Ct. Really good PBS special on Twain this week.
    Sorry for the hijack. Back to staying warm.
  17. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I suppose you could wear them like a toga, raising the heat to the 60's while you are up and around and wearing a sweater and some good socks is sufficient for most people.
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I think the thread title says Living on a yacht, not surviving on one or wet camping.
  19. Dsybok

Dsybok New Member

I think you need to ask some of these questions to specific marina's, different marinas, and different areas of the country will have different considerations.

If it is SF, yes it may be cold but you do not have to worry about below freezing temperature or winterzing your boat like they do in much of the rest of the country.

Liveaboards at my municipal marina in Long Beach, CA charge an extra $125 or $150 per month flat, however, our utilities, power and water are included in the rate and not metered and so are not an extra charge.

As someone mentioned you will be hit with two taxes every year, property tax on your boat which is assessed like property tax on a home, plus a marginal tax on the water you park on (actually I think it is on the ground under the water you park on, I have no idea how they justify it). For me, the latter is about $100 per year for my 35 foot slip, but the former is at the usual county rate, so 1.25% or so or about $1250 per $100k of boat value per year.
  20. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

The French have refined this taxation to include anything the French Flag touches... like the rest of world is a big conductor and France is the ground. Belay that... actually if you reside in France you are part of the conductor network as anything you touch is connected. Only country worse... the USA... in different degrees and means... does the long arm of the tax man grab his share.