Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for Burger

Lighting a Dinghy

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Fishtigua, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Years ago there was a light that you could bolt on to the cowl of a small outboard, 3 colour, that sat on top of the engine cover.
    No battery was needed but the light stayed on whenever the motor ran. I thought it was a Perko but they seem to have dropped it for 2 strokes.

Does anyone know where I can still get hold of one for my little Yam 15hp on the inflatable?
  2. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

3. dainisk

dainisk Member

Last year I found these: Navisafe Red-Green. They have a variety of different mounts, but I use the magnetic dics. One is glued to the bow of the dink and the other is on the outboard. They use 3 AAA batteries, but seem to last a long time - more than a season. The lights float and are waterproof. The LED's are bright enough to easily light up a large area to navigate between a very dark anchorage and dark moorings. Having a light ahead of you and behind you doesn't wreck your night vision as bad as a single 360 light on a pole.

Attached Files:

4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of the battery LED option. I'll look into where they may fit.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Been using these for a couple of years:

Great concept with LED and all but they go bad after a while due to corrosion.
    Save the receipts and get new ones when they go bad.

The factory is aware of if and not sure if they cranked up quality control in China or not.
    Told the US arm of the company in no un-certain terms but they kept quiet and sent me new lights instead..:rolleyes:

Not sure if they have balls enough to come and say hello to these kinds of postings. :(

[​IMG]
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We have a set of those for the catboat and they re pretty good. Two years old now, used year round. The AA batteries last at least 40 or 50 hours. We often sail at night here on the bAy so they get a lot of use. One of the switches is starting to act up, but they be been dunked a couple of times so can't complain.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, the switch will corrode and fail.

If you need to turn the light on, just by-pass the switch by placing a small piece of alu foil in the bottom of the battery compartment, it will get ya home..:cool: