Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Lifting

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by crewzin, May 8, 2008.

1. crewzin

crewzin New Member

I am getting ready to move my roamer a few states and need to know if anyone has a "lifting" or "sling" information to lift a 38' Roamer Regal (ALUM). There is nothing in the documentation that I have on it. I want to know where - frame wise - it is recommended to lift. Any help would be appreciated...
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Hopefully someone here may have the docking/graving plans for your 38'. If that isn't the case, I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Aluminum boats are pretty forgiving when it comes to lifting so long as you take a few precautions.
    First, I would make certain that you lighten the vessel as much as possible (i.e. tankage, spare parts, frozen fish sticks, etc.)
    Next, I would focus on placing the straps on the bulkheads as much as possible (particularly on either side of the engine room).

We regularly lift our 145' Aluminum boat in a travel lift where it isn't always possible to adhear to the docking plan.

Good luck.
    Ken
  3. 9lives

9lives Member

lifting Roamer

Our Roamer is a 41 Regal so the spots are a little different I bet.
    What I try to do is position the strap forward in line with the bow side of the head bulkhead.
    The stern sling is positioned about 24" aft of the salon sliding doors. This on my boat is just aft of the centerline of the fuel tanks. I am forced into these spots due to trying to balance the boat on our trailer and still fit the straps into openings on the bunks that carry a small part of the load. I have moved the slings back and forth at least a couple of feet from where they are placed today with no issues. If it was a Commander I would be a little more cautious due to hull flexing, which we saw with our 38 when being lifted. I think that Jim Wick at LPX www.chrisparts.com can help you with some advice on your model.

Attached Files:

4. m2m

m2m Senior Member

Lifting Roamer

In my earlier life I ran a T-lift and lifted thousands of boats and with the exception of some of the trickier big boat (90-150') i never used a docking plan. The Roamer is a good solid boat and the sling placement should be just aft of the engines on the keel and about a third of the length of the boat back from the bow. It is not rocket science, most boats are pretty forgiving. Modern T-lifts have scales and it makes it easy for the opertor to balance a load.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

m2m is of course right, and the Roamer is a strong hull, but lest there not be a few nightmares let's not forget two memorable videos of late. One being the Marquis going bow in with the guy hanging on to the aft deck, and the other of the older wooden boat (I believe in California- maybe a pacemaker) crumbling before your eyes.
  6. luckylg

luckylg New Member

I've seen stills of the Marquis; is there a video? I'd love to have it if you can provide a link?

Same for the Pacemaker. I think that one was in FLA after one of the hurricanes. I saw that one once on TV but couldn't hit the REC button fast enough to save it and have never seen it again. Again, if anyone has a link to a video I'd be most grateful.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator