Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights

License question?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Capt.Ryan, Jan 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1) Nobody knows what any government agency is going to do 2 years hense. Just look at Obama's healthcare plan or NYS's saltwater fishing license (both done deals until they weren't.
    2) Could you imagine what a cluster would be created if every license holder had to drop and take a course, especially when they already meet STCW 95requirement "without further endorsement". It may become a reg for new licenses, but there's not a snowballs chance they wouldn't grandfather.
    3) I'm on my last renewal so I'm sure not going to be concerned with it anyway.
  2. Hot Rod

Hot Rod New Member

Remember, the question was about 6 packs

Who will be affected by the STCW 95 changes?
    Perhaps the best way to answer that is to look at who will NOT be affected:
    The Coast Guard rules implementing STCW do not apply to mariners on the the following:
    (1) Un-inspected passenger vessels (6 pak charter boats)
    (2) Fishing vessels.
    (3) Fish-tenders
    (4) Barges, including MODUs
    (5) Vessels operating exclusively on the Great Lakes
    If, they operate exclusively in U.S. waters not more than 200 miles offshore (and do NOT make a foreign port call),
    (6) Inspected small passenger vessels
    (7) Vessels of less than 200 GRT (other than inspected passenger vessels)

That leaves these vessels covered by the rules, if they operate offshore beyond the Boundary Line:
    (1) Commercial vessels of 200 GRT and greater, operating domestic or foreign
    (2) Inspected small passenger vessels operating on foreign voyages; and,
    (3) All other commercial vessels less than 200 grt operating on foreign voyages

Source for clarification
    http://www.stcw.org/
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What classes/tests besides UKLAP did you have to do to get the CeC? Did you get a yacht limited CeC? And more to the point, why did you bother with the CeC, have you ever sailed on a UK flag vessel?

HAZWOPER is not an STCW course and when required it is a company requirement, not CG or STCW.
  4. BMS

BMS Senior Member

I can't find anything on any changes. What sort of changes are coming???
  5. Hot Rod

Hot Rod New Member

Take a look at the link in post #82
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

7. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I realize that on the HAZWOPER, just one more thing I have to consider since I get calls to run vessels requiring it. I ended up not doing the CEoC because of the price/hassle of doing the oral. The reason I was going for it was because of all the misinformation pertaining to Cayman and BVI vessels. Then I talked directly to the Cayman and BVI authorities, showed my tickets and they said "Not a problem, we accept your qualifications as they stand, no further actions or certifications are required.", so I decided to save the $5000 it was going to cost me to take the orals. All I did was the Business and Law and studied up for the oral which was all just the standard stuff. Never believe what the schools tell you, they're just trying to sell classes.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I seriously doubt that you were told that unless the added stipulation of for running private vessels was included. There is currently no flag state requirements for any tickets for private yachts.

You nor any other the holder of any other non CI license can legally run a CI Commercial Vessel without getting a CI Endorsement.

This endorsement does not cost anywhere near $5000 either, the current fee is USD300.

Here is the form an applicant has to complete and submit.

http://www.cishipping.com/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SRGHOME/HELP/FORMS/MACI504/CISR504.PDF

As the holder of a UK Ticket I also have had to get one of these so it is not something that is targeted at you specially.
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Correct, the question was for yachts, but the boat's certificate reads "Large Commercial Sailing or Motor Vessel" which this vessel I'm on has on it, and it was confirmed again by the owner when I was hired. If I was going to run a Cayman commercial vessel in the Caymans, I would need a Cayman CoEC, which they said they would just write me upon application and receipt of the fee.

$5000 wasn't the exam fee, $5000 is what it was going to end up costing by the time I get to South Hampton and back, motel room, food, lost a couple days income..., or pay the fee that the schools charge when they get the examiner over to give orals. All in all it was about the same either way, and it was about $5000.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think you are confusing a CEC and a CI Endorsement.

Cayman will accept any STCW Ticket issued by a country on the IMO White list.

The Endorsement allows you to sail in the same rank as your original cert was issued for ans does not require any visit to anywhere other than a courier service to send your application in.

You need one to operate or sail on a commercially registered vessel flying the Cayman Flag regardless of where on the planet you are on that vessel.

About a month ago you posted that you had been on vessels of many different Flag States and did not need anything other than your USCG Quals. I wrote to a Cayman Surveyor I know asking why the USCG get such an exemption and UK Seafarers don't. That is where I go the info that the USCG also require to get an endorsement unless you are on a private vessel (IE) No Charters.
  11. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Don't know, but I asked the CI Govt official at the FLIBS and got the answer I got.
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"I asked if the classes beyond what the USCG had previously required that I did for obtaining the MCA COEC would count ..."

So what classes did you take for this CeC that you didn't really get after all, and why confuse the STCW discussion with HAZWOPER then finally admit it has nothing to do with STCW?

I don't understand what the confusion about Cayman and BVI might be, they both have excellent websites which provide the application form and relevant legislation. Surely such a highly qualified Son of Magellan can navigate the well marked channels provided by yachting's most common flags.

There sure seems to be a lot of smoke surrounding some of your statements.
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Written by a guy who would wake a slow sailboat on the ICW to save hours on his owner's engines.:rolleyes: