Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Licences & Lengths

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by denzil, May 25, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. denzil

denzil New Member

Me again.
    On a side note to my Spanish Licence problem i'd like to pick your brains.
    Lets say you have a licence to 24m. Is this waterline length or LOA. I'm sure i remember reading that waterline length could be used although i now cannot find the legislation anywhere. Any licence brainiacs able to shed some light? If this guy can use waterline length his problem is solved.
  2. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

From what i understand if you have a yachtmaster ticket it allows you upto 200 tons or 24 meters waterline length. That is what was said to me when i did my ticket.
  3. denzil

denzil New Member

yeah thats what i thought. If that is the same for this Spanish 20m ticket job should be sorted. Here's hoping :)
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have never heard of waterline length as a definition of a ships length. The normal is to measure the deck over the hull where it is a closed volume. This is part of calculating the tonnage. A simplified measuring is the overall length without bowsprit, rubrails and swimplatform. The latter normally gives a higher figure.
  5. techmati

techmati Senior Member

yes MCA refers to load line length

6. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

The IMO refers to 2 methods for measurement to determine crew qualifications and manning

TONNES GRT.......Gross Registered Tonnes

Length LBP.........Length Between Perpendiculars usually forward and aft collision bulkheads but sometimes they use the rudderpost or I think it's 90% of the uppermost watertight deck

However each flag state authority may interperate this as they see fit.