Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Legacy on the Hard

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Windifferent, Nov 18, 2005.

1. key2manly

key2manly New Member

Hi there. I'm new to this forum and very impressed & saddened by the stories & pic's posted here. Saddened & impressed? Well I was on the Legacy in the 90's as Engineer and did some time as Capt. So the reason for the mixed emotions, brilliant comments & pic's. However, I can't help but to be sad to see her like this!

I do have a lot of information on her eg: Main mast height above deck 138.7' above deck. Total sail area 10,657 ft2. Displaement 387T. Now I'll clarify the hull, the draft is 11.1' with the keel up. If you can picture those classic lines of the hull continuing down to 11.1' then stopping, the bottom of the hull is flat! There is a center board keel when down has a draft of 25.3'.

I read the Captain's comments about the anchors letting go. I'm not surprised! The anchors are very pretty s/s stockless, they look great. I've been in bad weather & encountered winds to around 60k with both anchors out. The anchors set in good ground in a safe harbor & she dragged anchor big time. From then on in bad weather We would set one or more of 3 Fortress anchors (danforth)which was stored in the lazzerette (behind the engine room). I have had one Fortress anchor out with the 2 vessels anchors and had 100% of the load on the fortress near horizontal cable with the other 2 near vertical. Back then it was idetified that that issues with the vessels anchoring systems.

Well that's enough for now. I'm more than happy to disscuss any issue about "Legacy". Due to my emmense respect for him, I will not talk about Pete (the owner).

key2manly
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Happy to report that the tattered and recently missing US flag on the bow of Legacy has been replaced and proudly flying in the Key West breeze. How do I know this, well, went out for an update on the recovery progress recently. Can't give all the details yet, but suffice it to say that she has made significant progress over the past several months and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Many other bits of info will be coming soon. How do I know this? Got it from "the man" himself.
    Stay tuned...

Attached Files:

3. sailusvi

sailusvi Member

You are the man Tom, thanks
  4. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

"The Worst is Over" for Legacy

I came across this article while surfing the web when I should have been working...

Legacy Article
  5. dalpilot

dalpilot New Member

New Legacy Pictures

These pictures were taken on a fly-by 2/15/2008, she has moved quite a ways, but as you can see she still has a long way to go.

Attached Files:

6. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Legacy Article?

I thought I saw an article on Halmos and the Legacy in one of the megayacht magazines, but can't seem to find it. Am I losing it or does someone know where it was?
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Legacy is Freed

Got an e-mail this morning from Mr. Halmos informing me that Legacy has been freed and is floating.
    "We busted loose today" were his words refering to Monday's efforts.

We'll be down there in a few days for an update.
  8. wes69hunt

wes69hunt New Member

vanity fair magazine. i think feb 2007.
  9. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

This is indeed great news for the owner, myself and everyone else that was concerned for the Legacy. It was sad to see her in the state she was but now she is finally free and I look forward to her restoration in the future. She is a beautiful Perini and for some very strange reason I love her interior.
  10. Windifferent

Windifferent New Member

Great News

Over the course of time, I became acquainted with someone who had been a guest on the boat several times. Small world. Shame about the damage to the reef but at the end of the day, everyone is best served having the boat free and off the reef.

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread and contributed information about Legacy
  11. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Well done to the team out there on getting her free.

Now the fun part begins.
  12. CaptainSilva

Anyone interested in an article talking about her being freed can click here.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That story is pretty dated given what's gone on since it first saw the light of day.
  14. CaptainSilva

You're absolutely right. That's because I linked the wrong article! :rolleyes:

The one is a little more recent (22hrs ago) and has some pretty sweet pictures attached. The problem is, I can't link it here for some reason. It appears to be protected somehow. Instead of the link I end up with all ****** between www and .com (it looks like this: www.*********.com) If anyone's interested PM me and I'll send it on through...
  15. Outerlimits

Outerlimits New Member

Anyone in Key West able to get pics of the Legacy near the Coast Guard Station. Thanks
  16. conchwood

conchwood New Member

Legacy

I took Capt Tom out to her, fully afloat,He's got some great pics and afterward Met Mr Helmos over on his houseboat and Capt Tom got the
    entire story. He's writing the story for the Triton where you can check
    it out. Very interesting, someone should make a movie out of it.
  17. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Thanks again to conchwood for his time and boat, he's been my ride out to Legacy on these visits.
    Here are a few shots of Legacy floating. She was positioned closer towards Kew West Harbor, with the Helen B tied up along side.
    Legacy will be towed to Miami for a haulout and inspection by the insurance guys and Perine reps. From there, it's not definite yet, but probably be put aboard a Dockwise vessel and shipped back to Italy for refurbishing.

Attached Files:

18. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Thanks Tom, it's your reports on Legacy that first brought me to Yacht Forums and I've enjoyed your reporting.

I've also changed my opinion of the owner, I don't know if he peruses this thread, but good job to him too. He certainly stuck it out.
  19. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Gareth,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you and others have enjoyed the saga and photos. I have enjoyed following Legacy and her owner for almost two years. And I'll have more to post as I did interview Mr Halmos about two weeks ago after Legacy was freed. Boy, the relief he must be feeling, but still a long road ahead.
    And from what he told me, he really deserves more credit than I think many folks are giving him. Heck, it would have been very easy for him to walk away after the storm (figuratively and literally). But as he told me when I asked him if he ever considered cutting her up to get her out of there, "Legacy saved my life, I'm committed to getting her back in shape. I never considered destoying her" he said.
  20. wes69hunt

wes69hunt New Member

cap' tom, i went out to see her about 10 days ago. legacy nor the salvage ship were bobbing in the waves. we saw no taut anchor lines; it was almost as if both vessels were lightly sitting on the bottom. any thoughts? thanks again for keeping us all abreast, wes.