Click for MotorCheck Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Glendinning

Legacy on the Hard

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Windifferent, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Thanks Tom!
  2. wes69hunt

wes69hunt New Member

legacy go bye-bye.

hey, tom, wes here. thanks for all the posts about this great ship. most people on this forum have only seen pictures of her. we who live in key west have been to visit her many times in the last 4 years. you were the lucky one to have befriended halmos, and provided the rest of us with great photos and latest updates. hats off to you for keeping all of us informed.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hi Wes,
    Legacy has turned into a great "project" story, one that keeps on giving. It was fun to track her down, get in and finally meet Peter Halmos and have the opportunity to spend time with this interesting man (he is a colorful person with a curious background) and see the progress of her recovery. Would like to continue to see her thru, but not sure if I'll get the chance.
    What was fulfilling for me was to bring the readers of YF the story first hand, along with the many photos. It really is cool to see my shots in publications not only in the US, but published in ITaly and Germany to boot.
    And Wes, it was a great reason to get to Key West a number of times. A big thanks to conchwood (Doug) for getting me out to Legacy and his updates. Always great to make a new friend.
    I'll finish off with this photo. Peter and I, after a visit to Legacy, came back to the mainland for some lunch. We hoped on his scooters, but a little tricky shooting with my left hand (had to hit the throttle some times).
    Tom

Attached Files:

4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hey Tom,
    Thanks for keeping us updated. Rather than a finish though, it sounds like the start of a new chapter. I see trips to the Bahamas in your future. Keep up your good work.
  5. wes69hunt

wes69hunt New Member

hey, tom---i agree with nycap123. sounds like a new chapter to me. looking forward to seeing how the pages unfold. hope you're taking lots of notes. looks like a book deal in your future. thanks again for your persinstance. wes
  6. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

You the man Captain Tom!
  7. 1sailor

1sailor New Member

Legacy in the Bahamas

Do any of us here know which yard in the Bahamas is doing the restoration work on Legacy ?

Surely someone around here has an update for us !
  8. Leschins

Leschins New Member

I've been following this story for years as well. Thanks for all the great updates Capt. Tom . . . whatever Halmos' motivation was, you can't help but admire the way he hung in there.
  9. sailusvi

sailusvi Member

10. Spray

Spray New Member

Legacy in West Palm?

My family keeps our yacht at Palm Harbor Marina in West Palm. We followed a very large sailboat which had 3 towboats keeping a close eye into the marina. The mast was gone and it looked like there was some more work to be done. I was saying at the time "that looks like the sailboat that was aground in the key's for years". I'm back north now, but my old man was going to confirm it was legacy. Anybody else notice? It's located (was located) at the southern most dock.
  11. wes69hunt

wes69hunt New Member

Lecacy/Halmos

Headlines in todays Key West Citizen says Halmos has lost all credibility. and lawsuits. I don't know how to post a link, but go to KEYSNEWS.COM and read the article. Anybody wanna buy a boat CHEAP?????
  12. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

You mean this article, right?

Legacy owner loses lawsuit | KeysNews.com

BTW, if you want to post a link (be careful in respect of the forum rules), you can mark the link in the browser, copy it to the clipboard and paste it in the editor of the forum.
  13. sailusvi

sailusvi Member

One can only hope he gets what is coming to him....in a very harsh manor :cool:
  14. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Spray, Yes it was Legacy back then. I was able to get a few shots one day before she left. Now back down near Key West. As you can see her hull has been repaired and I'm assuming the keel also, since there are no chains holding it up.

Attached Files:

15. sailusvi

sailusvi Member

Where are all the Halmos nut swingers now :confused: I guess the mentality is, if you have gobs of money and own cool toys you must be alright :rolleyes:
  16. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I notice that the rail still look damaged is this so or just a photo illusion?
    Was the deck repaired as well? If so would we assume it is now sitting in Key West waiting for rigging to be manufactured ( that could take at least a year)
  17. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Not sure about the bent rail. Her recovery is not done yet.
    Here's a shot of the deck from a few years ago. When you're stranded for a few years you have time to fix the deck. And her interior was in the midst of being cleaned and restored when I was onboard.

Attached Files:

18. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

She's a gorgeous boat though you must admit!
  19. Bostonh2o

Bostonh2o New Member

Legacy

Has any word come back on what has finally happened to Legacy, is she sailing again??
    thanks
  20. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Her hull was repaired but Idon't think the masts have been replaced yet. I recently heard from the owner's rep and expect to get together with him hopefully early next year.