Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Legacy on the Hard

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Windifferent, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Solved

I went out for a look this afternoon and the crew told me that the centerboard has been lifted. It looks like they used brute force with chain and come-alongs under running from gunnel to gunnel under the keel.
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Halmos said the Perini folks came back with a solution, and with some modifications were able to get it lifted. I'm told that it's in place by a series of chains, to be sure it doesn't slip again.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

40 tons. That's some brute force.
  4. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Has anyone heard which yard in Tampa she is going to? I can't think of any yard around here off the top of my head that she could fit at or be lifted out at.
  5. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Brandon,
    No decision as to which yard yet. Still looking it over. I heard that there is at least one lift in the area that can pull Legacy out, but not certain. Are there any commercial yards in the area? How about a dry dock?
  6. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

There are a couple commercial yards but the only place that has had any yacht experience is the old Westship yard which is a service yard now i think. Now they do have a syncrolift and they did built the 145' over there so i guess it would be able to handle 158'.
  7. G8RDave

G8RDave New Member

There are plenty of commercial yards and dry docks in the Port of Tampa that could handle a vessel this size (and significantly larger). They could get Lazzara Yachts to assist in the work. Lazzara doesn't build any sailyachts, or anything quite this large, but from a detail prespective they'd a be a great group to have around.

Is there any update on the Legacy?
  8. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Legacy update

From what I understand she was towed out of the "sand" into Key West area then aground again due to keel drop, keel weighs 40 ton thereabouts and Perini nav visited to give advice on raising the keel and stated "do not go down there it is dangerous"

Last I read was whole deal now on hold again.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

saw a recent report that the keel problem had been solved... can't remember where.... triton maybe?
  10. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

You never need to look farther than YF ;)

11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

thanks Ken, don't i feel like an idiot! :)
  12. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Anybody heard anything since she left for Tampa?
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

She has not left for Tampa yet.

Still sitting for anchor in Key West.

I took a handful of photos a few days ago, but unable to upload.
    (Tried to put on another forum so I could just link, but the files
    are too big...No idea how to re-size the darn photos..Anybody?)

At any rate, she look pretty rough and I would guess it cost more to
    spruce her up than to buy a new one..Hope I am wrong..The lines
    are still great.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Reducing # of Pixels in a Photo

Simply reduce the size of the picture equally in the editing software that came with your camera. Stretch/Skew and reduce it manually by entering in how much pixels you want until the width becomes 640 or a little less but do not forget to equalize the vertical or else the image will look distorted.
  15. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I remember a posting where the owner was having a serious dipute with the Ins. Co. as to settlement Vs repair costs..perhaps that is holding progress.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Given the current market conditions can anybody hazard a guess on her current market value? Could it come near the recovery and repair costs?
  17. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Download this program http://www.irfanview.com/ it will allow you to open, manipulate, and change files.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yep.. irfanview... easy, small, intuitive...

it also allows you to resize batches of images, useful when you're goign to post stuff on line instead of doing it one by one.

I save all my original uncompressed files in one location, then resize what i need to post in batch in a temporary folder. once they're posted i delete the smaller images in the temp. folder.
  19. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Legacy is still anchored in Key West Harbor, held in place by anchors that range from 4 to 12-tons. Issue now is with the insurance carriers/brokers and Legacy can't move until several major issues are resolved. Owner is aware that it's hurricane season and wants to go, but being held up.
    Photo is from Memorial Day, when conchwood and I took a cruise on out. Cool thing is that we met a German couple on a sailboat taking photos of Legacy, and the guy told us he saw photos of Legacy in a German newspaper a year or so ago. Those were my shots that I sent to the paper. Have a copy of the story, but can't read German (thanks to our soldiers).
    More to come...

Attached Files:

20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Thanks for the help with re-sizing pics Gentlemen (and NYCAP123:D )

Downloaded irfanview and was able to down-size the pic, but when I tried to move it to an internet site, it says "not so fast son", you need a plug-in to do that!....Not sure what a plug in is in this context, and not sure I want to find out. :rolleyes:

I can e-mail the lot in the original size, and if anybody wants to re-size and add to this chapter, feel free to pick and paste.

(I took about 8 or 9 and they look a bit more "gloomy" than Capt Tom's pic.)

So, any volunteers, shoot me yer e-mail address in a PM and I will have 'em off to you.

(Been uploading pics to e-bay for years, and also e-mailed thousand of pics, not sure why I stubled on this one...:confused: )