Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Learning Curve

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Dean0625, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Dean0625

Dean0625 New Member

My brother and I made the deal- he purchased and I handle maintenance, upkeep, etc. on a 1975 Hatteras 36. Beautiful boat. It has Cat 3208's under 500 hrs each. Reportedly has 240 gal diesel capacity. Anyone know about this model? Range? Research I have found lists economy as .75-.8 gal per mile. Have taken a couple of short trips to get to know her and found that to be close (@ 2100 RPM). Anyone use fuel bladders or tanks? Not that I want to go to Cuba, want to go a little faster. Having a hell of a time figuring out the head/finding info about. Has a Lectra San. Any step by step instructions???
    Same goes for the raw water washdown. Switch?
    BTW if you have not figured it out yet, I have never owned a boat like this! Have a 21' Sea Hunt. Quite the change.
    Dean
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

There should be a Hatteras owner's manual onboard that explains the systems as installed originally. If its not there, contact Hatteras Yachts in NC. for a fee, they can provide the manual. The horsepower rating of those 3208's will have a lot to do with their consumption. Are they "N's" at 210 HP or turbo'd with higher HP?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Also what's you're cruise speed and rpm at cruise? I've heard the 36's pick up a lot of speed by extending the hull as they tend to ride pretty stern heavy.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

as eric suggested, Hatteras should be able to provide info, manual, blueprints, etc...

in order to give you better answer, whenever you post you will need to tell us what you have. Keep in mind that in 35 years boats are modified, upgraded, etc... for isntance your washdown may be original but it may also have been added at some point. who knows how it's really wired... try to trace the wiring from the pump. if it looks original , chances are you will have abreaker on the panel to turn the pump on. if it's not original wiring, then someone may have tapped somewhere and thrown an inline fuse...

same with the head. what kind/brand head to you have? many of these boats have been upgraded, some withVacuflush, others with electric heads, some still have original galley maids.

and again, same with the engines.. power rating? T or Ns?

cruise speed, bottom condition have a big impact on fuel flow and range. also, using trim tabs is pretty critical on these boats to provide lift at the stern, make sure they work.

in addition to getting manuals and diagrams, you need to spend some time on the boat, crawling around the ER, bilge, etc... looking and tracing things. Hiring someone to assist may not be a bad idea, either a good yard guy/mechanic, or a local captain or even a surveyor. You will learn about the boat and its system
  5. Dean0625

Dean0625 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. It's the "N" series. At 2100 RPM I get a reading off handheld GPS of 13.6 to 15 MPH. Was wondering if lowering the bow using TT would help speed/economy. I have calls in to a surveyor and a local glass guy who owns a similar model. No breaker for the washdown. Will do some tracing. The head is a LectraSan. There is a seacock that allows for waste to go to holding tank or overboard, correct? Mine is set for holding, I believe! How do I use the treatment system? My marina has no pump out.
    I will order the manual!
    Anyone use a bladder or other type of tank for extra diesel for long trips? Planning a weekend out. Unsure of the range and want to be prepared.
    Thanks again for suggestions.
    Dean
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most Hatteras SF like to run with the trim tabs most of the way down and you should pick up speed. If you run at trolling speed or around 8knots, your fuel range will be incredible. At cruise the 3208 N's burn in the neighborhood of 20gph.......

You can bring a bladder or 55 gallon drum, but transfering is a pain and not very safe if you're not familiar with doing it before. A bladder on the bow and you could probably gravity feed it into the tank possibly, but it would take a long time. I would only carry drums in the cockpit.

Nobody really uses lectra sans anymore, but I believe you can still get parts for them. They have plates in the base that have to be changed after every so often for it to treat the waste, and they were a bit problematic even when they were new, however you were allowed to discharge (legally) straight overboard with them in MOST places, not all
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Electra-San is not the make of your head. It's the make of the treatment
    system.

http://www.raritaneng.com/products/waste_treatment/lectrasan.html

Can you discribe your head? Or better yet, post a picture or two of it. If you really are pumping into a holding tank I would stop using the head till you figure the system out.

Are there any manuals on board at all?
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You need full tabs to get on plane, under15kts (16/17 mph for inland guys) you re pushing a big wake, loading up the engines and burning twice the fuel

As bill said lectra San is just the treatment system, illegal in some areas nowadays. Note That if your heads use fresh water you need to add salt for the LS to work

I don't know if Hatteras used galley maid heads on the smaller boats. If saw look for a big loud double end pump sown below
  9. Dean0625

Dean0625 New Member

Have attached pics. We'll see if they come out.
    Having difficulty getting info regarding emptying waste. My marina no longer has pump out. Next closest one has slip too narrow to accommodate.
    Thanks again.
    Dean
    Head 1.JPG

Flush 1.JPG

Lectra 1.JPG
  10. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Looks like a "Y" valve on the discharge of the head. You're going to have to trace the plumbing and see where those hoses go. Are the choices treatment and holding tank, or treatment and direct overboard? See where those hoses go after the "Y" valve.

Is there a deck fitting anywhere marked "waste" ?