Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Delta

Lazzara's drivetrain system with enclosed shafts

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by Pascal, May 23, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I was walking thru the yard a few days ago and saw an 84 Lazzara which caught my eye because of the enclosed shafts and skegs protecting the props. Seems like a great idea, more efficient, better protection etc... And a ridiculously skinny draft. Low tech too...

But if it's really as great as it seems... Why is it such a rare set up?

I read the original review here and it seemed pretty positive... But I setill have to wonder why other builders haven't gone this way

Anyone with real world experience running and maintaining these. Did Lazzara use it on other boats besides the 2005-2010 or so 84?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not sure about the particular setup on that boat. However, many of the Lazzara models are known for having a lot of cavitation related vibration when getting up on plane from too little blade tip clearance, too small propellor tunnels, and/or the underwater exhaust getting into the prop.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I've run three different Lazzaras equipped with IPS drives; an LSX 75, an LSX 92 and the 76 Skylounge. No cavitation issues. No difficulty in planing. Good running boats!
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

They weren't referring to IPS drives. IPS drives wouldn't have the problem described.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If this is the system CaptJ is referencing, that 'fence' likely isn't enough to channel the exhaust straight back at slower speeds, such as coming on plane; the props could very easily draw exhaust into the stream. Once on plane, that lip should prove effective in channeling exhaust to aerate the aft running surface.

Attached Files:

7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What I was really wondering about was the enclosed shaft system. Most boats have underwater exhaust so that s not really new but these enclosed shafts are unique Seems to provide improved protction from debris and more hydrodynamic Wonder how the maintenance is
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

My mention of vibration etc. refers to all of the NON IPS lazarra's. I survey seatrialed one 68' that the vibration was so bad, both hull and engine surveyors ran out of the engine room and demanded all stop because they feared the engines were going to be ripped off of the engine beds. I have pictures of an after the build exhaust modification from the factory, that they have done on some boats.

In the link shown, those are enclosed shafts and then a skeg underneath it. Some fast SF builders have been using enclosed shafts for a while. You have more to service at haulout and accessing everything. MY guess though would be that in a very moderate grounding where a lot of boats would just ding props, on this Lazarra system you'd be bending shafts because the first thing to hit is the skeg with appears to be part of the shaft tube.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Lazzara pushed the envelope often times. Innovativeness often brings risks and issues with it. The problem was that the boat on which they were testing their ideas was one going to a customer. Somewhere between genius and mad scientist. I look at how shallow their drafts are on some larger boats, such as 4'6" on 85' and 4' on 76' and the natural consequence of that is cavitation if not compensated for in other ways.
  10. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

My boat has an enclosed shaft system, although less hydrodynamic than the Lazzara. I read something about increased efficiency, but I don't entirely understand that. If you remember, the stern tube extends all the way to the struts. I believe this is more robust and does offer some limited protection to the shaft. I'm not aware of any other pros or cons.

Attached Files:

11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That's right I forgot about your enclosed shafts. I think its about the drag of the exposed rotating shaft. That paint looks good!
  12. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

I've tried enclosing shafts with a 1/2" wall split tube but didn't see any measurable difference with or without the tubes during sea trials. If exposed shafts get covered in growth it would probably be different. This was with 3" shafting and 5" OD tubes on a 47+ knot sportfish.