Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Lazzara viewpoints

Discussion in 'Lazzara Yacht' started by MLILIENTHAL, Dec 23, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I can’t imagine having to maintain 4 engines and drives, even 3. Must not be a lot of space to work on anything.

I believe the failing foam on that Velcro fabric affected many builders in the 2000s. An easy fix, which Is I ve been doing, is to pull a few panels at a time and staple the fabric to the ceiling structure.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The only other manufacturer that comes to mind with that issue is Azimut, it started happening around the late 90's. Azimut quickly switched to another product a few years later.....Lazzara kept doing the same thing right up until the end........same with the falling ceiling panels......other manufacturers switched to better velcro, or the ball and socket type retainers.....
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I've seen a couple Nordhavens with lousy ceiling panels sagging from failing glued on vinyl. Yuck.
    I never understood more than two motors in a boat. I get three or four hanging off the back though.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, we do have one being built with three motors in the boat.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

If you are referring to the AB, that's in an entirely different league.
    Waterjets open a very interesting range of possibilities by mean of engine partialization, with no major drag overhead.
    A concept already applied about 20 years ago in some of our Coast Guards units, powered by three IF engines, among which the central one is connected to a waterjet and working as a booster.
    Neither IPS nor any other propulsion allow that - not efficiently, anyway.
  6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Bigger boat, I may let that slide
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It was during the POD craze when every builder was building a pod boat, it was all the rage at that time. BUT, at that time, all you could get were the IPS 600's, thus the need to install 4 of them. The other issue with PODS in the bigger boats, is the PODS propellor diameter is limited, so even if 2 PODS had enough HP to run at the speeds the builder wants, the propellors don't have enough diameter and blade surface area to get and keep the boat on plane.....with the bigger pods do come slightly bigger propellors but you still see on larger yachts the need for 3 pods still mainly for that reason.
  8. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

That’s a good reminder of the limits at the time.
  9. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Sorry, I have not run a LSX.
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Yes, the down sides were in the quality of the gelcoat.

I never experienced wall or ceiling panel issues.
    But I know others have.

Their shallow draft was a very nice feature.

The ones I ran had 4.5’ draft so they were perfect for the Bahamas.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, they were a good boat for what they were built for. SHallow water, Bahamas, moderate seas (or very), fuel efficient, shallow draft, general systems and build quality was good aside from the aforementioned items, teak was thick....they REALLY acceled at layout inside and out.........ohhhhh and that godforsaken ISIS system.....LOL.....
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Isis.... too bad the old guy retired... ours is fine except for the two DAUs used by the Cats. No big deal as we have the Cat displays but on MTU boats without engine displays... big problem

I love the 5’ draft of the 84 in the Exumas. We can anchor where nobody goes and where local fisherman come and Ask if we are aground and need help :).
  13. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

My son and I had a closer look at the Lazzara 75 LX Quad IPS. Also the access to the engine room for major maintenance through the tender garage (with removed garage bottom) was very good, daily engine checks and service were a bit more difficult. Standing between the hot engines would not have been my favorite position (very small space between the engines and standing height with the garage floor installed).

lazzara-quad75-engineroom.jpg

We were facinated by the performance and the maneuverability of the quad IPS setup (the IPS 600 was the only available version at that time) and how quiet the engines were inside the boat and on the upper deck. But what finally turned us off, was the upper steering position. Not really a flybridge. But we did like the quality and the design. And then they went out of business. But son wanted an IPS boat !

He went later for a European (Dutch) custom build 78 ft quad IPS boat with a real flybridge. Not as fast as the 75 LX (bearly 30 Kts) and built in Alloy but absolutely great quality. He still has the boat and is more than happy with it.

He broke off one drive, when hitting an underwater obstacle while maneuvering in harbour. The drive broke off
    at the predetermined breaking point as advertised. The pumps could handle the water ingress, boat was lifted out of the water, the drive was repaired (props exchanged) and reinstalled within a week. Worked as advertised. No other problems besides normal maintenance since then. His next boat will be a tripple IPS 1350, 80 ft boat, made in carbon.

My son in law has a Prestige 780 with twin IPS 1200. Also he has no technical background (medical doctor), he has no problems operating and maintaining the boat.

Btw. Volvo IPS is selling pretty good on this side of the pond :). But the North Sea and the Baltic and even the Med are by no means tropical waters.