Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Lars Modin Design

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D 20 ST

My latest designs in small crafts are made with the experience from the commuters we have built over the last two years. Here is a step forward in contemporary lines and simplistic solutions. The smallest, D 20 ST, has an open plan with seating for 5-6 people and sleeps 2-3. The sunhatch opens up the whole aft part in a second. The hull shape will allow high speeds with a soft ride and low fuel consumption. Producer is still an open question... ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D 30 SC

This will be a very versatile boat as you can transport 8 people with comfort, sleep 4 and with a small pantry use it as a holiday cruiser as well. Also this boat can open up above the drivers seat and aft there are two sliding glass doors. The toilet is fully enclosed with standing height and a skylight on top. Single or twin engines for speeds in excess of 50 knots.

Attached Files:

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D 40 CC

This 40-footer is basically with the same interior as the one I showed on the previous page. With two good double cabins, galley a half step down opposite the shared toilet room. The dinette is raised to give a good outlook underway and the forward sofa can be tilted back for dining.
    Walkaround decks with two sliding side doors, and above the aft deck is an integrated fly steering position. The ultimate commuter or family cruiser for long weekend trips. Can´t wait to see her built... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

26 Retro in wood

Wooden boats are now again in demand, both old, restored and new construction. In Scandinavia we have schools where to be a wooden boatbuilder. But there are very few new designs.

I have made a type of boat that looks like a boat from the fifties, but has a modern deep V hull and a daycruiser interior. With epoxi treatment she will be almost as easy to maintain as a GRP-boat, and nothing comes near the feeling of a shining mahogany hull.

This boat is only 26 feet, another I have made is 41 feet and I also have a 60-footer halfway finished in my computer...

Attached Files:

5. YachtLover

YachtLover New Member

I like the 40 footer...so that has the same type of interior as in the 25 footer or the 40 footer on the previous page? :confused:
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yachtlover,
    I guess it would be much less confusing to you if you are printing out the pages! ;)
    /Lars
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Over 1000 views in just over a month! Congratulations Lars!!
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks to YachtForums!

Carl,
    It has been a pleasure to be able to post so many yachts and get so much feedback, several new contacts offline as well. I hope my fellow designers will do the same since I guess there must be a lot of unpublished designs out there :)

As an interlude, I´ll submit my magic outlook now at midnight. Almost like a ship...

Attached Files:

9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

B L I N G

It is not everyday you are asked to make a design proposal on a 100 m yacht. But we were a few designers who got the question some years back and it was to make a conversion of a building in progress, where the buyer wanted something really modern and outstanding. But the timeframe was very short so I gave a walk-over and headed for the Fort Lauderdale show...
    When I got back home I still thought I should give it a try and this is the result.
    My entry was too late and the design concept perhaps too early?
    But a forward thinking client might have it delivered just in time to set a new trend ;)

Attached Files:

10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Mother is right...

I showed this thread to my mother a week ago and she said she couldn´t see any difference between all the yachts I have been drawing since almost 50 years...
    So I had to dig deep in those old boxes she stored and what did I find, if not my old notebooks from school, flooded with yachts!
    The biggest was 325 m, (1065 feet) and the one below had no dimensions but a price tag that wasn´t too unrealistic. The year is 1960.

What you see must be one of the first yachts with a helipad, and features like tenders on fore deck, fixed roof on the flybridge, oversized portholes...

To be made by a young schoolboy that never had seen the open sea, and never a yacht bigger than 40 feet it is hard to believe where it all came from?
    I have to admit that mother is right, the yachts look almost the same today ;)

Attached Files:

11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Anyone care for a Royal Yacht?

In the mid 90:s there was a big hype about replacing the Royal Yacht Britannia.
    All designers wanted to participate with ideas to get this prestigious job, including me. However my ideas remained in my computer and you are the first to see it!

I only wish there were more state ships and less war ships built...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D 66 CE

Here is a high speed 66 feet motoryacht, which should have a cruising speed of 50 knots with waterjets. A nice feature is the master stateroom where you have a direct access to the swim platform through the bathroom. You also get a sometimes desired separation from the guest cabins because of the central engine room. The engines might be a little too far forward for the length of the hull, so in reality I would like to add a few feet to the foreship since she has a quite narrow hull with a full 26 degrees deep V-shape.
    Then nothing will stop her... ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

M O D E A , 46m/150´1992

This design was conceived already in 1992. The main idea is to have all guest cabins on deck and the crew areas below. Here you see three guest cabins to port and two on starboard side behind the owners cabin. I have also made mirrored layouts with 2+2 or 3+3 cabins. The galley is forward of the engine room in the yachts gravity center, with a dumb waiter to all decks above. Laundry is in the passageway forward and the crew have a nice day area in connection with their cabins.
    The decks are built with raised levels from midships to provide higher ceilings for the tender garages and in the saloons. The wheelhouse is very large with a dinette on the raised aft part. Behind is captains cabin opposite the library.
    Engine room is divided so the gensets has their own compartments with a airconditioned control room in between. She is planned for waterjets and a cruising speed of 24 knots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

32 M/105´Modern Classic 1993

In one of the most popular sizes for semi-custom yachts, 105 feet and with a raised wheelhouse, I made this design which could have several profiles within the same concept. Here you see two of them.

Interior is with owners cabin on deck and four guest cabins below, as well as crew cabins for five. This was made as a yacht suitable for charter and with a cruising speed well above twenty knots.

Despite the design is eleven years old by now, she could still be built, with or without an updated profile. This is the beauty of semi-custom designs. :)

Attached Files:

15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Metamorphose...

Just for fun and to give you a hint on an "updated profile" of the above 32 m yacht.
    Since I am not a fan of teardrop windows, I took this design a giant step in the other direction... ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

P O L A R A - 70 m/230´Circumnavigator

Fill´er up and go around the world. Bring your toys and tools, including a yellow submarine and the helicopter. This yacht is designed to look more as an explorer than a yacht, on the outside. Inside she should look like an old atlantic passenger steamer, if you ask me. With a few exceptions, like the diamond elevator that brings you up to the crows nest, or the extensive bridge with all modern equipment including a color sonar. The hullsides has a special teflon treatment for less maintenance during extensive passages.
    Then you can really say; been there - done that... ;)

Attached Files:

17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

25,5 m / 84´Trawler Yacht

Key words are, No-nonsense, go-anywhere, owner-operated, casual-living, low-maintenance and why not dream-yacht? With heavy-duty equipment, large deck areas and practical space for diving gear and other necessities in the stern garage with its transom hatch/platform.
    This yacht can serve as your home for years while exploring remote areas of the world, without getting the attention as a luxury yacht would.
    Can be built with or without a flybridge as you see.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Disco Volante 53 m/174´

This design is quite anonymous and could of course be more sexy if made today, or just paint the whole thing black if you like to turn heads.
    But she will outperform most or all existing luxury yachts over 50 m when it comes to speed. The idea is to have a big diesel over a central steerable waterjet and two gas turbines with straight out waterjets each side. Benefits are of course more power at less weight and only when you need it. Normal transportation over long distances is with the single central diesel engine at about 15 knots. With the turbines at full effect she will exceed 50 knots.
    Interior is also a little special with the bridge deck fully enclosed and just a walkway around the large upper saloon. You can see most of the planning yourself, but note the cabin below owners cabin for children or bodygards, connected via a private stairway to the office above.

Attached Files:

19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

42 m / 137´YachtFish

Exactly seven years ago I got the brief from a shipyard to come up with a stylish Yachtfish around 40 m. She should have twin MTU/DDC 4000 and a TF50 Gas Turbine to achieve a top speed of 40 knots.
    You can see my proposal here.

I never really heard what the client thought about it, but he choosed to build a 46,6m Feadship said to reach 33.5 knots with the same engines.

Attached Files:

20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Expedition style 300 feet / 91.5 m "Modesty"

This afternoon I thought I should try to design an expedition style yacht with a helipad and garage. As you can see on the development, often the concept gets bigger after a while and what started as a 70 m became a 91.5 m in the end.
    The way yachting seems to go these days, bigger and bigger... :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.