Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Lars Modin Design

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Over a century?...The hull form too? The hull looks like a modern america's cupper! :D

René
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This rule permits any hullshape, so they are all different. In the past they had a gaff rig, but from the thirties they were all converted to bermuda rigs. Today some are again converted back to the gaff rig and I think it could be used on this as well. Especially now when we have high tech composite spars. Remember, this kind of boat is not for offshore sailing and the mainsail area is lifted as high as possible to get good winds in between the islands. Fun sailing :)

/Lars
  3. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

OK, I understand it!
    I'm glad about more designs from you (Maybe modern sail boats?)

Regards René
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

33´/10 M Sailing Boat

OK René,

I appreciate that you like my boats, but I am afraid I don´t have too many sailing boats. But I have one that I made on the same concept as the 95-footer you have seen. But this is only ten meters, Dix in French. I have learned that there is a yacht designer with this name, so excuse me if this should be confusing...

Anyway, Dix is supposed to be a light weight construction and be able to sail pretty fast in all conditions. On the drawing she might look like a meatball, but in the water she will look more like a space ship... ;)

Attached Files:

• DIX2.jpg
      DIX2.jpg
      File size:
      58.8 KB
      Views:
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Launchette 32

There are a growing number of lakes and inland waterways where traditional powerboats are not allowed. The solution is electric boats and the power can be generated to the batteries by sun cells or fuel cells. In Stockholm a ferry service with biogas/electric propulsion is under development and there are similar concepts elsewhere too.
    Since the power is limited, an efficient hull is needed and what is nicer than to look back a hundred years, when the first powerboats were seen.

My boat is designed for a speed range of 8-18 knots, the latter with an optional diesel engine of 75 hp.
    It is a dayboat with a convertible dinette, plenty of space to sit underway and a small galley under the sliding glass-top. She has a walkaround deck to starboard for easy entering and to avoid the inside corridor of vintage boats.
    With an almost silent propulsion, this is the way to motor. With grace.

Attached Files:

6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

25´and 32´Commuters

We are at present building two small commuters, especially focused on how we use boats to get around in the archipelagos of the Baltic Sea. Only outside Stockholm there are 24.000 islands where many have their summer house. To get there (and back) in all weather conditions you need a boat with the comfort of a car. The 32´model has a sliding glass door aft, heating with defroster, bow thruster, trim tabs, wc with tank, cheramic stove, refrigerator, Flexiteek flooring and a lot more as standard equipment. With a diesel engine and sterndrive the cruising speed is between 35 and 40 knots.
    I made the designs two years ago and after two seasons they have today become very popular and well known boats around Stockholm.

Attached Files:

• D32.jpg
      D32.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The 25-footer is a little more avantgarde. With the helmsman back in the gravity center and passengers one step down forward to reduce pitching. Sits six under the hardtop and sleeps two to three in the lockable front cabin.
    A sliding glass roof opens up and allows the driver to stand up. Should it start to rain, it takes seconds to close it again without reducing your speed. In the back of the cockpit is a drop down canvas wall.
    With heating, defroster and all you need to go. Fabrics from Sunbrella, Flexiteek floors and superglossy mahogany panels, this is a top quality boat made in hand layed up GRP. Both the 25 and 32 are designed on existing well proven hulls.
    The 25 is delivered with both diesel and petrol engines of 240-320 hp for top speeds above 50 knots!

Attached Files:

• D25.jpg
      D25.jpg
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

A picture of the boats from the transom at a recent Boatshow in Stockholm.

Attached Files:

• DInt.jpg
      DInt.jpg
      File size:
      48.2 KB
      Views:
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Interior from D25, helmsmans position with passengers a step down each side forward gives good visibility through the angled glare-free windows.

Attached Files:

10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Interior from the 32´. Two armchairs, with fold-up seat when standing up. Behind is an L-shaped sofa opposite the pentry.

Attached Files:

11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The 32´forward cabin, with a storage doubling as a childrens bunkbed.

Attached Files:

12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

32´aft deck with recessed foldable teak benchs each side.

Attached Files:

13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

40-footer to come...!

As always, some customers are asking for a bigger model and this is the answer, a twin engine 40-footer. Launch date is preliminary fall 2006.

Engines will be 2 x Volvo Penta D6 350 hp with Duoprop drives.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Get a PDF-file with this 50 m yacht...

This is a 50 m/163 feet, long range cruiser. The design dates back to 1997-98 and the interior is almost the same as I used in the Chianti yacht you can find here on YachtForums.
    To be able to get a good printout or just to look into the general arrangement plan in a bigger scale, you can get a PDF-file of the whole yacht as an e-mail. If you send me a PM with an e-mail address where you can recieve a file close to 1Mb, I will send it to you. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Integrated bulb...?

As most people know, a bulbous bow gives speed/range advantages on displacement hulls. There are already several yachts built with a bulb, but there are more built without one. Maybe because the protruding bulb is of more trouble than benefit as it can catch both debris and anchors?

Whatever the reason, I once came up with this idea of an integrated bulb. In my opinion a bulb on a yacht has one major advantage, to reduce pitching. Both at anchor and underway there is a much nicer movement with a bulb. To achieve this you dont have to extend the bulb in front of the hull, and I am pretty sure that a certain speed improvement will take place anyway just because the yacht is going with less pitching which otherwise would slow her down.
    The exact shape of this bulb remains to be tested, and as always with a bulb, the stern has to get more buoyancy to get the right longitudinal balance.

Remember where you saw it first... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  16. YachtLover

YachtLover New Member

Man, Lars, I love your designs!!! I like those commuter boats. They look alot like a yacht. The 40 footer is nice, too. But my favorite of all your designs is the 25-foot coupe...the one that costs $100,000. How much would the 25 foot commuter be, and the 40 foot commuter?
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you,
    Yes the design is a little like the bridge on a superyacht, and the reason for the forward angled window is the same; To get glarefree views both day and night-time. You also get more headroom and less heat from the sun.

This 25-footer is USD 80.000 incl a 25% sales tax with a VolvoPenta 270 hp and Duoprop. The 40-footer will probably start at around USD 300.000...
    /Lars

Attached Files:

18. YachtLover

YachtLover New Member

Is that last pic the one of the $100,00 25 foot coupe? Is there any interior pictures or ideas of what the 25 foot boat's interior will look like? $300,000 is a great deal for a 40 foot yacht!! Unless you are counting the Silverton 39's Starting price of $269,000...but who would touch a foot in a mass-production yacht, when you can get one with superb quality/design? ;) :p
  19. YachtLover

YachtLover New Member

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions :confused: but who builds those boats for you? Do you contract them out or something? It sounds like you sell alot of them :cool: ...maybe someday you can get contract for a huuuggge super-yacht! :D
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The 25´ and 32´you see here are built in Finland and in a pace of 20-30 a year since they are really handcrafted to be light and strong. In the next page you will have a glimpse of the future... ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.