Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Perko

Lars Modin Design IV

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

This may not be a good comparison but I can’t think of a similar purpose yacht right now, and personally I like your masculine design better.
    But out of curiosity, how is the Mochi 74 accepted in the Euro market, and is it enjoying a successful production run.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think you can compare the Dolphin 74 with this boat. But I have no idea how it is selling, just that people seems to like it.

Like most boats however, they are very heavy compared to ours, probably almost twice the weight and consuming at least 50 percent more fuel. This year is the first where we have noticed that people are very concerned about fuel efficiency. It is probably due to a combination of the climate hype and the rocketing fuel prices.

Luckily we have foreseen this and are building very light and hightech boats with outstanding speed and mileage. But to handle a fast and light boat you need a little more experience than with a heavy built boat. You can not just put on the autopilot and relax in speeds around 40 knots...
  3. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

That sounds very promising with an instant "edge" over the competition, that is if there is any.
    But one must wonder if such a weight saving (on the D75) will have a negative effect on the boat's seaworthiness in heavy seas and stability.

*just rambling, as I'm not a naval architect.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Not at all, but as I said it is a little more challenging driving on top of the seas at high speed, compared to going through the waves at lower speeds. But the idea with the D75 design is to be able to do both, the narrow bow will split the waves in lower speeds and should be lifted above in higher speeds. Remains to be seen of course, but you get a hint of it if you look at the modern fast sailing boats.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It is good to leave a design for a while and see if it can be improved. This version has now been tweaked almost everywhere, but still retains most of the original idea. I will try to make it as a 55 foot version as well before deciding on the 50-footer I have started with. It makes more sense to have a similar design style on both of the coming boats I think...

Attached Files:

6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

:O stunning

i take 2 of 'em :)

no really that one'll sell like the new iPhone ;)
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Jannick, perhaps if I do like I was told once, sell my designs as posters...;)
  8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I do like the bold look of the front half. Not so settled on the back half. Though this may be one of those cases where a perspective view would give a better presentation?

Kelly
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Kelly, if it isn´t good in 2D, no 3D rendering can make it better...:eek:
  10. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Sorry, I cannot agree on that. A profile gives no hint as to the beam. And a wide beam can give breathing room to a design that may be out of tune on a narrow beam.

yer Novice
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right in a way, another view can make it worse, but not better....
  12. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

I'd like to tattoo this on the foreheads of a few people I know:) I hope you dont get buried under tonnes of marble, glass and gyroscopic stabilisers.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D52

Here is a first rendering on a modified D50, now reminding of the D75. It had to be extended to 52 feet as this hull is more narrow forward. Perhaps the interior volume will be like a normal 48-footer and seakeeping like a 60´...:)

Attached Files:

• D52.png
      D52.png
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Do I see Penta Drives Lars?:)
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, I will adapt the hull to the IPS II/900 if nothing better comes up...
  16. toppsy

toppsy New Member

I really like the look of this one Lars. nice and clean but with character
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I agree, among the more classic this is the best. Then I have a bunch of more modern, but of them I like the one in post #153 best so far. If I get a better I´ll post it, but for now I have to work with other designs...
  18. atomare

atomare New Member

Hi Lars, if I may call you so? ...
    First of all, I really enjoy your designs,... from a styling point of view, your style of presentation and the fact, that you share your process with us.
    As for your D52 concept´s hard top, I would like a combination of what you show in post #153 and the third concept of post #157, a roof that seems to be floating above the windows, but visually interlocks with the hull structure, that is moving up. It gives a nice, dynamic look to the profile... What I would do is use the shape of the roof of #153 and interlock it with the hull like #157, but in the reverse direction to generate a more dynamic expression to the front and a relation to the bow line that is coming out of the water.... I also think you might have to adjust the proportion of the portholes more to the actual size of the yacht. I would expect a proportion like that on a 60m yacht, but here this ends up in portholes like 20cm wide and 80cm high? ... It might give a slight impression of prison bars from the inside? ... Don´t get me wrong, I love your designs and also this one, I´m just trying to give some constructive criticism. ;)
    keep designing... best of luck, David.
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, and sorry I have been away from this thread for some time. It is very busy with the 34-footer that should be on the boatshow in two months from now...

Here is a chance to see last years new model in a Norwegian News Flash;

http://www.dn.no/dntv/nyheter/article1484550.ece
  20. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Looks nice Lars, interesting "pilot berth" in the salon. I am a little confused about the helm position, how do you drive inside and out the hatch? Also with your head out the hatch remember to power down the radar. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.