Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Lars Modin Design IV

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Oops! Another senior moment .....
  2. toppsy

toppsy New Member

Nice ... takes a little of the challenge out of it though;)
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D75

The first conceptual drawings on a new D75 looks like this. Eventhough many think that fuel prices will soon come down a bit again, speed and mileage is important to consider. With this bow, with heritage from our classic wooden boats, she can cruise at 10-12 knots and still be able to go 35 knots when needed. Perhaps with hybrid solutions. The signature look is there, but with a twist to give her an even stronger identity. Colours could be to personal choice.

This design could be translated into the 50-footer as well if we should decide to go ahead with both. As usual, your comments are welcome...;)

Attached Files:

4. brunick

brunick Senior Member

quite well - but maybe a bit too much predator inside

that vertical windows - i think they're too much - maybe a conventional bow?
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes Jannick, the portlights can be round or squared, but I donĀ“t like the strange shapes you see on many new boats. The bow can be conventional, but then the fore deck will be 9 foot longer and this will look strange, or I must give up the fuel savings...
  6. orion

orion Senior Member

Doesnt have the unique Delta style, I think a more agressive
    offshore styled hull like the D40 profile be nicer. just my opinon.:rolleyes:
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Right Kurt, it is only that I doubt we can sell 75-footers to run around with 40 knots in our archipelagos...? Even I would be mad if I saw one doing this..:D

To make it easier to understand, here is the size difference to a D29...

Attached Files:

8. Coenharbour

Coenharbour Senior Member

Very nice design but with the portlights round,
    I think she looks much nicer.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I like the bow and the verticals.
    Overhead view?
  10. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Aviva Prow, Predator accents, Sigma stern, D-40 superstructure, what do you get? A new Lars Modin design:)
  11. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Very bold. That I like. Might even get used to the vertical portlights over time. But the flybridge looks to be rather diminutive?

Kelly
  12. nilo

nilo Senior Member

I agree that a larger fly bridge will add better usage, as well as more esthetics to the design.

Lars, I presume this will be a stepped up pilot house, so how will the salon look like? It may be lacking sufficient light and a good view due to the window placement.
  13. orion

orion Senior Member

I think there are a very limited market for 75-footers in swedish archipelagos
    but there are a big world outside;) I think your unique power-expedition style would be very sucessful in the 70-80ft range.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Easier than so Ron, most of the design elements are here: http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/58560-post96.html

Thanks for all comments! Some answers; No overhead view yet, but she will probably not be more than five meters wide. The fly is pretty small to give a lower profile and a glass roof forward. Salon and pilot house should be on the same level and there should be a glass wall aft so I think there will be enough light and views. But as I said, this is just the first idea and an attempt to stretch the envelope beyond the usual Azimut/Sunseeker styling. And of course we must sell abroad as well since our market here is limited.
  15. brunick

brunick Senior Member

have you tried to reverse the portlights? like the windows of the fly?
    any maybe lengthen the pilothouse 1m more to the front
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Jannick, I want portlights to look "natural" from inside and having them in an angle wood probably make the owners seasick...:)

The basic idea with this design is to get an efficient hull, why it is pretty narrow, especially in the entry, and then the superstructure must be moved back to look good from all angles and to get the centre of gravity where the displacement is.
  17. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Err, you could also help that out with a more conventional transom, no?

Kelly
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I was thinking weight, where the transom style has no effect. Visually I could extend the superstructure aft with a conventional transom. Like this:

Attached Files:

19. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Nice design, I would make the fly bridge area a bit more user friendly though, so as to accommodate a hot tub and a tanning area.
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks, I am afraid the hot tub will be very shallow, one feet max..:) This flybridge has a small footprint as it comes down in the salon area, it is not a top deck. But it can be nice to sit up here and drive the boat as I think she will be owner operated for most people. Tanning area is on fore deck...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.