Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Lars Modin Design IV

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

No tank tests and no other tests, we did not even have the D40 in the water until after the boat show when she was launched last year, so it was pure luck..:cool:

The handling is very good with no issues, they turn without sliding and without losing speed. They have no pitching and lifts the bow just a minimum to get on plane. So the performance figures are a combination of the hull shape and the low weight plus of course the modern diesel engines from VolvoPenta. We will soon test a D40 with the latest Mercruisers as well.

We also have forward sloping windows on fishing boats and smaller multi-purpose boats like the Targa line from Finland. But those are higher and slower than ours. In our archipelago with many thousand islands, it is essential to have a good and glare-free view, especially when it is dark.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

At the boat show we got some feedback on the D33 design...

It seems as more people than we thought are more keen on speed than economy and want twin engines over a single. So she is now D34, extended by four inches and with deck and superstructure raised by three. The major changes are the dinette which now accommodates two forward facing passengers and the second cabin has got the entrance moved aft which allowed for a separate shower room. On top we have added a fixed glassroof aft of the electric hatch.

This means we can start with the hull production, 3D-files are ready for the CNC-robot. And pretty soon we will also make the deck files. I just have to consider some minor tweakes....:)

Attached Files:

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

For the coming 50-footer I have considered to use the "grey-line" design I showed in my first thread on YachtForums in 2004. It is hard to know if this design would be better received on a 50´ than using the reversed windscreen design as on the D34 above...?

What do you guys think, will this design be the right for a 2010 50-footer?

Attached Files:

4. brunick

brunick Senior Member

have you tried to design the grey design with a reversed windscreen? i think that could look very cool - maybe you'll have to stretch the roof a bit forward but that would give some head space too
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

If the functionality of the windscreen design was valid in the other models why would it not be just as valid in the 50 footer?
    Or do the requirements for "style" over function become quantifiably different at certain lengths/price points?
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Jannick, maybe you are right, I´ll give it a try.

Codger, this is why I am hesitating, a production boat for about € 1 million must be appealing to enough people before we invest in all the tooling. The workboat style windows are not what you find from other builders why people may not be prepared to buy them..?

Since I can not use a stepped hull for the IPS, I was looking into this design instead, but perhaps I can still make a reversed windscreen. We´ll see pretty soon..:)
  7. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Lars,

My opinion, the name of the game is to be contemporary and different. That is why Apreamare has changed style further. There are too many design with raked pilothouse windows. Your design might bring some new flair and attraction.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes Nilo, it is just a matter of how different you dare to be...:)

As an example, Fjord made a 40-footer that reminds quite a lot of my "Greyline". It has received attention and design prizes, but I don´t think they sell very well? At least not compared to our 40-footers. So maybe I should continue that style, it is just that it becomes a little boring doing the same lines after six years...;)

I made a quick attempt of reversing the windscreen of the boat above but then I had to change the bow since it looked too strange. I already have a "white" 50´prepared that I will not show yet, but I think it looks better than this one...

Attached Files:

9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

It's an interesting situation. I'm not by any means a marketer so I'm probably blowing smoke here.
    The "workboat" look may be an advantage. The video below was taken here. I bring it up because less than 5% of the owners of exotics in the area even considered showing their vehicles. There is a reluctance by many to display the toys in public. Keeping things low profile is the rule rather than the exception. Drive the utilitarian X5 or equivalent and take the toy for a drive out in the country away from the eyes of the many.
    Perhaps just a local attitude and I have no idea if it would translate to boats in Sweden.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7SyBuCmPDw
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Codger, I was just now talking with my father on similarities between Sweden and Canada and to some extent also New Zealand. Not only are our climates similar, but also our lifestyles and I guess this subdued attitude to show-off.

This new boat we would like to export to new markets, both in Europe and elsewhere, why I thought it should get a more modern styling, but I could be wrong. Our present clients like the practical details, like no canvas, and the fast ride as they use them as commuters mainly. A 50-footer will have a little different target group as it will be three cabins and more livable space, eventhough it will also have a 40-knot cruising speed....
  11. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Yes, there are quite a few similarities between Sweden and Canada. It's a pleasant -8C in the midst of a snow squall here right now. Perfect morning for a brisk walk.
    Can you assume that the buyer of the proposed 50 footer will operate it him/herself? Practicality and reliability, are unfortunately rare attributes in far too many products, but are increasingly valued.

Given the competitive products out there, which would you buy?
  12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I do like this latest bow profile much better than the prior Fjord-like one.

As for the windshield direction, I think your version of the reverse slope is successful because it is not tall (trawler like) and you also take great care with the modeling of the surfaces below and above the windshield. Wordy way of saying it works very well. A conventional backward slope also works. Ideally offer the customers their choice of either style????

I know the Scandinavian idea of style is to have a very clean line, even severe by some tastes. But ... the area of the latest design that concerns me is the aft shear. It's, err, boring. By pedestrian standards it could use a kick, or vent, or some sort of design flair. Think Italian?

wude Kelly
  13. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Personally I think that the windscreen design is a “signature” of the model line, and changing it in order to potentially appeal to a broader audience could be misleading, as the marketplace is full of “look-alike” boats and you could get lost in it.
    Assuming your expectations are modest and your not planing on competing with the mass market builders out there, having a “Swedish/Modin” style is an asset and should appeal to clients that want to distinguish themselves from the pack.
    Maybe as a suggestion, slightly reducing the “rake angle” of the windscreen with the greater size of boat may be a compromise but still give it brand recognition.
  14. orion

orion Senior Member

What I heard from Volvo deadrise could be up to 24 degrees
    and you can also read it from this article:
    http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/20070405/?pg=52

But I can´t confirm whats right because of different messages from VP:confused:
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Kelly, your observations are right, there has to be some surrounding support lines with a reversed windscreen to make it look OK. The transom is open with a hatch covering the cleats each side. Not much space for additional design features. And in fact, my design was presented to the guys building the Fjord, long before they started with their new line...:cool:

Outmywindow, I appreciate your advice to not follow the pack, it has worked well for us and we are pretty established here today. My question is what will happen on new markets, but since they are much bigger than ours, we just need a small percentige to be happy.

Codger, this boat will be owner operated. With IPS and joystick it would not be hard to drive and I think we will find our clients among pretty experienced people.

Finally, what I would buy..? I browsed through some magazines to find something, but even if I got any boat there for free, I did not find any production boat, regardless of size, that I would take.

In the past I liked the midsized Bertrams or Hinckleys, but they are not up to date and the Wally´s are a little over the top for me. Hard to please..:D
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On this, I think they have gained more experience today and especially with the IPS II and more powerful engines you will have problems. Not only in turns, but the drives creates a lift when they are too angled which can make it hard also to maintain a straight course. You can build recesses as they do for the mid engine in a triple configuration, but then we have to test it out before making moulds...
  17. KCook

KCook Senior Member

18. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Perhaps you've answered your own question.:)
    Look at your own choices. Experience comes with a benefit, an itemised mental list of what not to do or to buy again and practicality becomes more important. Trying to be all things to all people generally results in mediocrity.

Nilo and Outmywindow make their points with more insight than I could even attempt.
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Kelly, did you know that a 375 hp petrol V8 is now available with IPS on some markets, I guess the US being one of them.
  20. orion

orion Senior Member

The Seavee 390i IPS have 22.5 deg. deadrise and are without recesses.
    Tripple V8 gasolines will be perfect in the new 49ft SC runabout;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.