Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Lars Modin Design IV

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Senior Member

did someone say models?

Lars, send me a PM with some CAD files...we could supply scale models of all colous/versions!

Attached Files:

2. orion

orion Senior Member

www.deltapowerboats.se
  3. brunick

brunick Senior Member

ahh - carl - we should take this website to the directory of builders ;)
  4. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Lars,
    How was the show?
    Any pics?
    Arnie
    :)
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Brian, but I will have no 3D-files of this boat until it is in production.

And Arnie, the show is running this whole week and I think the market here is still good. We are selling what we can produce anyway. As usual we are highlighting our speed versus fuel consumption, more important than ever these days and we have the best figures by far.

Here is one picture of our four and the coming fifth model. Next after the 33´ may be a 50-footer...:)

Attached Files:

6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

yeah i've drawn a picture of a 50 footer based upon your 40 footer, with extended aft where are 2 more cabins and single bathroom attached - but i can't scan it here, got no camera around ...
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Today the first D29 client in Norway got his boat. The sea was flat so you can see the minimum wake it produces, not much spray either, just riding on bubbles... I guess the speed is about 40 knots here.

Attached Files:

8. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Wow ... any higher and we have to call it a Hovercraft!
    Very impressive!
  9. dccd

dccd New Member

Design

Beautiful,

That may be one of the nicest "no nonsense" but good looking actual designs around. I have used the forward leaning windscreen on patrol and crew boats but it looks good on your pleasure craft design and tends to add a more credible stance. So many pleasure boats look overly done toward fashion instead of purpose.

Good job,
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

"As usual we are highlighting our speed versus fuel consumption, more important than ever these days and we have the best figures by far."

1 litre per Nm at 30 knots? Am I reading this correctly?
    I've driven autos with higher fuel consumption, granted, at speeds a bit higher, and burning gasoline not diesel.

Do you have very small people hidden below the waterline rowing very quickly with oar ports that are not visible in the displays?
  11. brunick

brunick Senior Member

sorry, just trying to confirm my mathematic knowledge - that must have been a car with a fuel consumption of more than 53l/100 km - that sounds a bit crazy

back to lars boats: he was talking about their fuel consumption in the "Lars Modin Design III" - there he has said it before :) it's really that low

found it:
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/38159-post65.html
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for your support! When we first launched this line five years ago, people didn´t really got the idea of this shape of windows on a fast boat. Today we see several boats with similar windscreens being launched. But we are still the leaders in speed vs mileage.

The 40-footer with twin 370 hp (below) just takes 2 liters per nautical mile at 30 knots... top speed 47 knots, and again, not much wake.

Attached Files:

13. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Lars,
    Regarding the cabin's roof design ... is this what is called a "cantilever" design?
    Arnie
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes Arnie, you can call it a cantilever style as there are no visible pillars forward. The windscreen is described as "reverse camber destroyer type windscreen" or just "reverse" or "negative".
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The picture above of the D40 is from October 27 last year when we were out making a videofilming. Here are a couple of more pictures I took at this trip.

The first is the nav-screen with aft camera, plotter and radar overlay. Interesting to compare the chart with reality, at least in our waters the difference can be pretty scary if you are running fast...

Second picture is when we stopped and the camera men asked the other boat to make a sharp turn close to our transom. Which he did, and the third picture shows when we had to dry all the wet cameras...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

BTW, we have now changed the design of the aft windows from the salon. Instead of the two small is there now a tinted glass covering the whole surface. Makes the salon more airy and gives a better aft view also for the helmsman. (The pictures are from the recent Gothenburg show).

Attached Files:

17. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

Suppose I were the owner of the famous "toycarrier" Senses(which I am not, unfortunately !) I would sell the Nelson and put the Delta 40 WA on the slipway !:)

Great boat, Lars, and not only as a megayacht tender!

Can she be fitted with the Volvo IPS system ??
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you, and regarding the IPS, I talked to Volvo yesterday about the new 50-footer where I could think of having two or three IPS 850. But I was told they are not working well on a deep V-hull. We have 22° and they say max 15-16° V. Anyway, for the D40 the normal DPH Aquamatic is better. It is faster, less draft, you can trim and you can tilt it up for prop replacements with the boat in-water. IPS also takes more space which can be better used in a 40´. In the 50-footer we may build a small tender garage above the drives if I can design a good enough hull with just 16° deadrise...
  19. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Great looking line of boats Lars
  20. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Yes, I'll second that. A good looking lineup.
    With those incredible fuel consumption figures, how did you arrive at the hull form?Did you tank test? Was it years of refinement and adjustments and tweaking of hulls? Or computer calculations/software?
    And with the stepped hulls, they make for fast boats (like rum runners here during prohibition and offshore racers) is there any handling issues to compensate for?
    I also like the forward sloping windows. Is that a common thing for Scandinavian boats? Here on the Pacific Northwest it has been a bit of a tradition too as in small crew boats and fish/tug boats. It's aggressive and cuts down on the glare from the helm. Which makes me wonder why on the Eastern coast of North America they typically slope back.
    Good points with the IPS's adding more draft and difficulty changing props.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.