Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

Lars Modin Design III

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxResolution

MaxResolution Senior Member

Multi, as are many ideas

The bollard is the best I've seen.

Call me a dreamer, I thought all you Euros had really cool colors of shrink-wrap and connectors, but you were just holding out on us.:confused:

I just did a drawing of my wiring harness idea, now off to the patents search...

Bamboo flooring, another great solution. Lighter=larger.

How about that wood-grained speaker grille? Got a manufacturer?

Does the red on the floorplan indicate outdoor-grade carpet? Do you know of, (and/or believe in) the German's claimed 'mildew-free' velour-cut carpets?
  2. yotphix

yotphix New Member

Lars, although I make my living on power boats I have never wanted to own one before now! (I have always tolerated power as a way to afford sailing) This is a truly beautiful vessel. Hopefully you will sell thousands of them so that I might be able to afford a used one someday;)

What do you suppose the cost will be?
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, the Bamboo is used mainly because it is hard. It is just a thin layer vacuum laminated to a light core, as all the wooden panels in the boat.

The speaker grille is cut out from one piece of teak by our skilled carpenters.

The red/brown should be the teak in the interior? Carpets we don´t use at all, but if so, I prefer wool carpets in boats.

Yotphix, today you will be USD 470´down for a fully fitted boat, plus VAT.

Thanks all for your positive comments!

/Lars
  4. tartanski

tartanski Member

Hi

This deign is great. I had been thinking of sketchina few ideas for a replacement to the Nimbus Commanders I like so much. Your concept here hits the mark for me, if you dont mind me saying she looks like the best of a Targa and a commander, but the way you have brought them together is just great design.

How many will be produced? (Sorry if you posted these details earlier)
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks David,

You are right in that we like this kind of boats up here, no canvas to fight with and for long seasons use. We will produce five before midsummer and hopefully a few more the next six months. Number two is now delivered to Norway and can be seen at the Boat Show in Bergen next week.

The latest building at the shipyard is just finished and includes a test basin so we can check for leaks and engines can be started up also now when the sea is frosen over.

Attached Files:

6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

wow! impressive work lars, i think this is one of the best interiors i've see so far on such a little yacht. also the raised seats are giving a very nice outboard look.
    i think you should promote it also as tender to bigger yachts ;)

when i get some money (lottery) i'll buy one...
    hope you got the production line online *G*
  7. MaxResolution

MaxResolution Senior Member

Finesse in the finishes

Enjoy the coming show. I'm currently searching for an avitar to express my disappointment that I won't be making it to the Miami show. Rather than see this as a career-breaker, I just have to use the time here online, searching for the best and most informative images I can find.

The major builders often use wonderful imagery, flash intros (freezes this old Mac,) and say nothing about the actual details beneath the hull. I am mostly unimpressed at the state of the interior design. This stuff looks fine in homes, and utterly out of place at sea. I find 100 great woodworkers who would be more than adequate at doing things like your laser-cut looking grille,three tier-inlays, Louis XIV, etc. The issue I keep revisiting, as an expert interiors photographer, is how many of these Mega-s use 'super glue' to keep this trash from rolling around in a heavy sea?

No, I didn't suspect it was carpet on your build, (as it looked like the ideal place for Teak,) but assumed you may show floor-sections in different colors on the generic plan to indicate clients can choose their own finishes in these locations, particularly a raised berth.

One person asks, (poor soul) how to get those super-glossy urethane finishes. Well, I found the #1 (probably Titanium-oxides) Mfg. for super-glossy marine grade polys. The key is the -ULTRA UV- reflective chemical. (lost link temporarily, in fact lost all my prefs on last boot.)

...Then, I turn the page, and SailorJoe says, emphatically: "NEVER USE A FINISH ON TEAK!"

...I look at the bulbuous bow on these majestic sailers,thinking, Wow, that must add some resistance! Is this the proverbial 'sacrifical bow'? Or, a really inefficient way to reduce the draft? Perhaps she also lays well in a swell, but it is ALL side-line info, since I need to digest all there is to know about integrating modern electronics. There, I see just three real distinctions; small cost-effective sport boats, mid-size personal blue-water dreamboats, and of course, those with top-end requirements.

Lars, the price looks fairly enticing for any one-of -built to this degree of integrity! For some, the main 'detail' one might consider is the constant reminder (see: Bob Chapman) to get out of the dollar now!
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks, I am not there myself but I got a report tonight after they launched the boat, the show is in the water since they have the North Atlantic Gulf Stream just outside Bergen. (In Stockholm we have ice now).

They were out in pretty rough seas and tested out how she would perform in high speed. The guys were very impressed when she was flying in 47 knots and landing straight, smooth, silent and dry after each jump! Not bad for a rookie like me to have achieved such a hull design...:)

I hope to get some pictures the coming days...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Jannick, she might be too big for all but the largest yachts, but our 25-footer should be a very good tender! If we could only produce enough of them...
  10. brunick

brunick Senior Member

i think shes a nice tender to Double-Bling ;)

you're talking all the time of "us", is there a big company behind you, producing the boats you're drawing?

maybe you should come to the "Hanseboot" next year, that'll be nice, so i could see the boats and take a walk on them - they're all very nice with so much details...

i like the picture of the boat in the port with the swedish houses behind *grin*
    i've been a serveral times to karlstad - there lives my aunt - and she knows somebody living on these little islands on the Vänern. there you see these type of pictures too.

i hope you'll represent your boats on one of the german boat shows!

Edit:
    i was searching for further boats in the range of 25-40, but in your treaths aren't some...could you post 'em here?
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here are the smaller boats;
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-renderings-plans/1648-lars-modin-design-4.html

"We" are a sales organisation in Stockholm with retailers in Greenland, Norway and Russia (St Petersburg). The boats are today produced in Finland (25´) and Estonia (32´and 40´). This is a very modern facility which is already producing high quality sailing boats for Arcona and Nautor-Swan. So with the new assembling hall the capacity will soon improve and new models are in the pipeline...:)

This means that our export may increase in a couple of years from now and Germany is one of the most interesting markets we are looking at then.

Next boatshow where we are showing all three models will be indoors in Stockholm March 2-11.
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I was asked if I had any big "open" in my portfolio and in the context of open as in soap designs, I had not. So I made a counter proposal of an open with a more classic design, still pretty innovative.

She is 45 meters and the whole maindeck is enclosed, with an open aft deck and flybridge on top.

The stern is pretty high and is hiding the biggest garage you have seen, partly on maindeck with surrounding windows so you can use it for a party when all the toys are launched.

Forward on main deck is a cosy full beam salon and further forward the owners cabin (under the bridge). Below are four guest cabins and forward is the crew area.

On the bridge deck is a large lounge with floor to ceiling windows including dining area and galley as well as a spacious bridge with observation area.

The transom is folding down to a beach and to launch the tenders there is another hatch going up. This whole area outside/inside will be high enough to not cause any risk if water should go in and thanks to the big side windows also far from the cave feeling of other yacht garages.

When all is closed, the yacht is better protected from unwanted visitors than those with open stairways from the platform...

On the fore deck is space for sunbathing, jacuzzi and sofas so she has a lot to offer if you like to have an "open" yacht without the high maintenance exterior of a soap design...:)

Propulsion and speed requirements are still to be determined.

Attached Files:

13. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Normally I'd blink a lot at an open with a Portuguese bridge. But this works well with that vertical front window. Pretty cool Lars :)

Kelly
  14. brunick

brunick Senior Member

:eek: i'm not more impressed - i'm speechless....
    could you show the layout, so we can see how you mean it with "biggest garage you have seen" ? ;)

this is the best yacht after my all-time favourite, the DC 66 (in tread one of your designs)

wow!
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Sorry Jannick, but I have not yet completed the GA. The garage covers a surface of 100 sqm and is 3 m high! Then there will be corners used for gangways and tools to lift the toys, but still plenty of space for all the fun.

A built in Shadow boat if you like...:)

Propulsion will most likely be diesel-electric with azipods and generators fitted under the forward part of the garage.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D29 for November launch...

Back to the production boats, the hull of the coming 29-footer will soon be cut out by the CNC-robot. This is the final renderings on this commuter based on the same design concepts as the 25´and 40´. The central steering position, passengers forward and the sliding moonroof from the 25´, fitted in a smaller version of the 40´hull and with a "Sidewalk" solution for easy access over the bow. She can also be used as a weekend cruiser for a small family.

Attached Files:

17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

G38 for 2008...

This boat is coming closer to reality and I have looked into a rigging with selftacking jib and no fixed backstays so a high and wide mainsail can be used. This is especially good in our archipelagos where the wind is playing around between the islands. The interior is a two cabin, one head, with limited headroom in the forward cabin as the only compromise...

Attached Files:

18. brunick

brunick Senior Member

hi lars, what about the D29, is it already launched and if yes, do you have any pictures of it running and interior ?
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Lars, is that G38 designed for production?
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Jannick,

the D29 will be launched in November if we are lucky. Production of the plug for the hull will start this week, I made a few corrections to the bow shape last week.

Kevin,

this G38 is one of two alternatives, the other is more traditional and the producer has not yet decided which one is the right to launch. I would like to see this one, as the market is already flooded with Bavarias and similar family boats....;)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.