Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights

Lars Modin Design III

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, there are more rules and regulations than one can believe...

We are having our production boats certified for CE class B and with DNV (Det Norske Veritas) classification. One pretty stupid CE rule is that all electric wires must have the same color and a marking in both ends. We used to have wires in 18 color combinations which you could follow all the way, now you just see a bunch of black wires clamped together...

Here is our new 40-footer during sea trials at 47 knots, which is almost 10 knots above the competition, or 25% better mileage!

Attached Files:

2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Looks like a nice way to get around. Still using the Volvos?
    The wire codes are .. I can't think of an adjective that wouldn't be censored.
    Did you label them individually or run separate cable production runs using different identifier printwheels so that any individual wire could be identified at any point to avoid the risk of a field tech/user sticking a darn probe in to every wire until he finds the right one? I lose sleep over the thought of someone sticking a probe in to a cable and 2 or 3 years later having that wire fail because the insulation was breached and the conductors corroded.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

In our first boats we have installed twin Volvo D6 350/DP:s, they are very nice engines, but some clients want even more speed so there may be twin Yanmar 480:s with Arneson installed later on. But in general I think we should remain under 50 knots in this kind of family commuter. We now have a cruising speed of 40 knots at under 3 l/Nm, I think it was 2,3 l at 36 knots.

About the wiring, we used to have marks in both ends and a separate colour for each wire. Now we are forced to have neutral black (or red) cables all the way with just the marks at the ends. Thats EC...
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Do you have a photo of the engine installation that you could post?
    2.3 litres per NM. Is that the total fuel flow or per powerplant? Not trying to be cheeky but half an imperial gallon per NM at 36 knots in a 40 footer total fuel consumption is a number I just have to ask about to make sure that I have not misunderstood.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I don´t have the test results here, but we had Volvo technicians at the seatrials and these are about the figures I remember and for both engines together. We have very good results on all our models, the 25-footer takes 0,77 l/Nm at 36 knots, the 32-footer 1,2 l at 36 knots.

Here is the engine installation in the 40-footer.

Attached Files:

6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Thank you. Looks good. Could pull an engine and slap in a replacement without too much muss and fuss.
    Congrats on the fuel consumption efficiencies. Quite an accomplishment. If there were a smilie for applause I'd use it right now.

I wonder about some of the people that come up with the regs. Imagine the havok that is created when someone goes using a probe trying to identify a wire when one of the ones that he doesn't need but pierces anyway is coming from a high gain sat com dish. Fairly high output Rf bleeding in to adjoining low voltage control wiring can ruin your whole day.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for the congrats! On this picture you can see on top of the screen, that I am cruising at 40,2 knots GPS speed and both engines are showing 3.000 rpm, top revs are 3.600 on these machines.

Attached Files:

8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here are some additional pictures from this boat, the interior is made of teak with floors in bamboo. The entire boat is with light-weight sandwich materials and composite construction, vinylester and some carbon fibre. Displacement is just 6.7 tonnes with all added equipment but without fuel or water. All equipment and materials are top quality, like Mastervolt, Corian, Sunbrella, Vola and we even have spring matrasses in both cabins! Hope you like this clean design....:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Moving forward...

Attached Files:

10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

There are a lot of little things that are done right on that boat. It's usually little things like round door knobs instead of levers and sharp corners at a child's head height that make me cringe and want to leave a boat as quickly as possible with the feeling that if I can see little things done thoughtlessly then what nasty bits are there that I can't see.
    Best wishes AMG, and hope that the market receives these well.
  11. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Hi, Lars.
    Congrats on the sea trials!
    The interior's clean, functional design is simply beautiful.
    Arnie
    :)
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks both of you, and Codger, the small details are my specialty...;)

Here are a couple of them. Under the seats each side of the aft cockpit are the fuel caps. Below is an overfill protection device from Vetus and on top of this is a tray if you should get some dripping, which otherwise often result in stains on the teak decks or slippery side decks...

Another feature is my special bollard design that works even better in reality than I was hoping for. Looks quite fun too...:)

Attached Files:

13. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Lars well done, very impressive. Could you also post some photoes from the aft deck?
  14. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Neat! Anything that can be done to keep the fueling process clean is a plus.
    Does the overfill protection device from Vetus work on foam or just liquid. I've dealt with some fuels that just seemed to foam like crazy.

The bollard is interesting in another way. Running the line through the gap and then up and around to make it fast might keep it from squinching. Looks like a good plating job as well.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Nilo,

I have no good pictures of the aft deck, you see a glimpse of it above, but I will repost the drawings where you can get a good understanding of the boat.

She is 12,5 m long including swim platform and 3,65 m wide.

Attached Files:

16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Foaming fuel will come up in the tray instead, but I don´t see it much with the green diesel we have.

One of the ideas with this bollard is when people use ropes with loops in one end, they can take it through the gap and hang it around both ends of the bollard, which is not always possible with small loops on standard bollards.

It also takes more "crossed" line on top and the V:s are keeping the rope from slipping just enough without fastening.

These are still hand made from stainless steel and will get a more perfect shape when we start to make them more industrial. (The design is already protected of course).

Attached Files:

17. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The X Bollard is such a simple practical device. Probably looks beautiful just because it becomes immediately obvious that it works. It's nice when someone can change something that has just been taken for granted as "works good enough" for a long long time and make it better.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here are a few more details;

The double rails and stairways to the raised bridge makes access easy for all three seats. The radar mast is hinged for easy folding during land transport or to get under a bridge. Blue courtesy lights both around the decks and inside, a little bling but nice. The loudspeaker grids cut out in teak is optional, but I like them... :)

The swim platform has the anchor integrated and the winch is inside the boat. The Duoprop drives have a connecting rod for precise angle, in our case parallel. Trimtabs are two feet long, but so far we have not had the need for them. As you can see on the screen, we have a camera that on this picture is showing how little wake the boat produces, here in 42 knots at 3.100 rpm.

Attached Files:

19. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Lars,

Neat Cleat! Question... have you run into any problems with lines being pinched between the cross sections of the X-Bollard? It's seems this, or possibly some chaffing could occur with line tension?
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

So far so good, but we are using "modern" ropes, similar to sheets on sailing boats. Maybe traditional and not so soft ropes could cause trouble. But the whole bollard is about one feet wide so ropes for this size of boat should work out I think...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.