Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Lars Modin Design III

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Double Bling
    Wouldn't the radar on the foreward mast be more effective if mounted higher?
    Also it looks like that radar would be at line of sight right in front of the bridge. Distracting?
    Wings off the bridge or could that be accomplished without messing up the lines of the design? Or am I blowing smoke and the wings would not be required anyway?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The radar on the necessary forward lantern mast is only for harbour use. Could be even lower and more forward if it wasn´t for the helipad. It is now over the bridge level, both to distract less and also to avoid the rays hitting people on the bridge deck.

I am not sure any wing stations are needed, but it is easy to build retractable wings as on Lady Moura and Rising Sun if you like. The sudden fashion in having protruding wing stations also on smaller yachts is actually pretty stupid. In most European ports they can hit the yacht next to it and hence requires some special fenders attached. Just an added concern when manoevring instead of a help...:rolleyes:

Thanks for bringing this up Codger! :)
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Ah! So many questions answered. I had wondered previously about some of what looked to be very oversized fenders on a couple of the yachts with wing stations. Now I understand. If the Captain doesn't require the wing stations then why bother.
    Is the forward lantern mast required at all times or could it be retractable/telescoping?
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The lanterns can all be retracted when not needed, also the side lanterns. On boats running under engine and longer than 50 meter a white light forward and lower than the top light is required. This light can also be used on boats shorter than 50 m which is less known.

On Double Bling I have a fixed mast where the lantern is raised telescopic and there is also a 360° anchor light.

About wing stations they can be useful on yachts with several decks where the sides are not vertical. Then they improve visibility without making the yacht wider. But in my experience a good captain knows his yacht pretty well and there is always a crew member transmitting from aft deck or a deck above, the position of the yacht and where to go, how many meters left and so on.
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Lars. First let me say that this is a beautiful vessel and I have been watching this thread for some time.
    My two cents worth is that wing stations are an invaluable tool when maneuvering in tight quarters. That being said, the largest of my commands was 160', and at that size we are expected to be able squeeze ourselves into any marina which was previously designed for 100' boats. In these small marinas, we are generally not working in "meters", but rather increments of a "foot" (east vs. west in that case:) ). In that particular situation the difference between line of site and a radio transmission would be monumental. I have a great crew and am able to feel comfortable with less than a foot on my blind side, but that is also because I can see the side onwhich I am standing.
    OK- so if Double Bling were too large to enter into a small marina (or anything other than a face dock), I could justify the lack of wing stations. My humble opinion, though, is to make the necessary change to include them so as to be prepared for any likelihood.
    Good luck.
    Ken
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Ken,

On the Double Bling I think retractable wing stations will do the trick, just as on Lady Moura http://www.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/256315.jpg

On yachts like Octopus the big wings are justified as she got her design inspiration from large ice-breakers.

But again, on "small" boats (150´-200´) and as you say, often just a feet from the next, I would rather be without them. If you have ever been to Port Camille Rayon in Golfe Juan, you know that on the pier you would need fenders on the upper decks anyway....

I can agree that you should be able to see your own fenders on the side you are and with a trained crew you can then reverse straight without using the noisy bow thruster, just letting the anchor guy help with the brakes when needed...:)
  7. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Old School Wing Stations

Lars,
    You have only been refering to a situation where you are mooring stern-to. While that is most common in Europe, the United States and Caribbean are predominently serviced by marinas in which you often have to maneuver the boat in a series of "S" turns in order to reach your slip inside the harbor.
    While the protuding wing stations offer the best visiblity, I have always found a permanent station located inside the bulwarks to be sufficient. This will cause to captain to have to lean out over the side to directly see the fenders, but it is more than adequate. With this configuration, there is no need for fancy fenders nor moving parts to retract the station.
    Again, Double Bling looks to be a beautiful design and I would be proud to be her captain!:)
    Ken
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am glad you like her! Maybe we will have the pleasure of seeing her built anyway...;)

On my designs there are always wing stations outside the wheelhouse or up on the flybridge if there is a raised wheelhouse. On the boat I was living in southern France I just had a centre station on the fly, but it was easy to walk over to the side and back to the controls. I just had a deckhand who always forgot to tell me distance to quay, but we managed well anyway...:)

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/moonen-yacht/1630-moonen-yachts-85-a.html

BTW, there is a Benetti without side decks at the wheelhouse and instead they have a remote control that the captain uses on the flybridge, he walks all over this large fly and how he can keep track of what is left and right when he is suddenly facing aft I don´t know.. :)

You can see him on picture 3 and 6 here;
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/benetti-yacht/273-benetti-rimas-ii-motoryacht.html
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  9. EnigmaNZ

EnigmaNZ Member

Love your designs Lar. I have done a quick stretch mod to your Victoria 2 to create my fantasy yacht, please excuse the rehash :D I don't have a fancy paint program, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks, yes I got the idea!

I was thinking of something similar already when I first made this design and at the same time got to see the first rendering of Maltese Falcon. This was the result... ;)

Attached Files:

11. EnigmaNZ

EnigmaNZ Member

Hmm, reminds me of a song, "there's a mast in your funnel dear Lars dear Lars, there's a mast in your funnel dear Lars a mast. Well shift it dear..." couldn't help myself :p

Thought of the dynarig but wasn't sure of the esthetics, it seems more suited to yachts with a low narrow hull and low superstructure, and with turn of the century classics, hmm 4 on the Saravona would be magic. A normal rig has to many stays etc for a large motor sailor M/Y and is too ineffecient, though I see you can with new materials do away with stays etc, I guess at the moment a wingsail is going to be permanently set, unless you go with a kite. Hmm. With the price of fuel so high, I guess a private nuclear M/Y is out of the question.

Drifting a bit off topic so time to brain storm in my own time hehe.

Cheers Lars.
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Pandora Xxl

At 600 feet, the latest and largest Pandora is a true Gigayacht, or XXL... :)

Attached Files:

13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Pandora XXL

What would the beam be on the XXL version?
    Just playing with a quick thought on the total sqare footage of space :)
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As I always try to maintain the same beam as height, she will be 92 feet wide. Maximum draught 20 feet.

So about the volume I will chime in with the little floating home at the wall in Port Vauban, Antibes. It has a sign saying "Ca suffit", teasing all owners and crew while they are going to their Megayachts at IYCA...:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  15. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Sufficient....... Yes, I'd think so :) Never thought that having room for a go cart track on board was necessary. 600x92 x at least 6 levels would give one some nice options for a morning walk.
  16. EnigmaNZ

EnigmaNZ Member

Lars, what is it they say, a man with large toys is compensating for a small piece of personal equipment hehehe.
  17. Francois

Francois New Member

Lars ,this design of this megayacht is absolutly awesome.Stunning lines and yes its beautiful and space gallor.Humm..., I wonder who will do the woodworking part of it,I wish I was there when the order comes.May be in my next life I will be able to afford one:D

Francois
  18. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Pandora XXL

Wondering where you'd place lifeboats, probably required, on Pandora without destroying the lines?
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Codger,

Same as on the smaller Pandoras, the stern is open with a pocket for lifeboats. Not that you need to have them if it was a private yacht I think, but still there is space for two 80 pax boats there. Life rafts are stored on racks in front of the aft helipad and are released through the big openings there.
  20. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Thanks
    Been sorting out classifications and requirements. Seems that the insurance industry has more than a little influence. I know that influence to be the case in the construction of offshore oil platforms but didn't know that it was quite so rigourously applied to yachts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.