Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Lars Modin Design III

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Kelly,

There is a raised steering position just in front of the arch from which you are still well under it. The aft deck has ten feet clearance to the arch, so even a pretty wild party can take place... :) Remember this yacht is a lot bigger than you first think and designwise I prefer to have the arch at this level to keep a sleeker profile...
  2. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Hi, Lars.
    Is that an air inlet just below the radar arch?
    What engines did you envision for this project: diesels, turbines?
    Arnie
    :)
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Arnie,

Yes it is air scoops and I think a couple of diesels are enough, but anyone who would like to cruise above fifty knots can have turbines instead...:cool:

My next design should be something more classic and about 70-80 m. I was looking into old files and found this 77 m yacht which I made about ten years ago as a timeless styling. Seeing what is coming out from the yards today it wasn´t all wrong, but my next will hopefully have a little more style of it´s own. We´ll see...:)

Attached Files:

• 77m.jpg
      77m.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Lars,
    We're seeing cruise ships and even a megayacht using azipods for propulsion.
    Do you thing this trend will continue?
    Arnie
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Nobody can answer this today I think. I would rather go for diesel-electric propulsion with shafts today. But when azipods with built in electric motors have been installed in yachts similar to yachts with shafts, we can begin to evaluate what would be the best in the future.

It wouldn´t surprise me if yachts will go the other way, like ships having just one KaMeWa propeller and then side thrusters for harbour use..?
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, here she is..;)

Maybe I am just lazy, but I have recycled another of my designs to fit into this concept. She could be built as a Feadship XL and although not really traditional, she will hopefully stand the test of time pretty well?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Exquisite rendering Lars. Even looks airbrushed! But what is that looonnng panel (door?) on the aft side of the hull where the row of circular ports breaks? If there is a tender in there it must be a whopper!

Kelly
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

A yacht concept named "Garbo" can keep one or two secrets...;)
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Absolutely spectacular Lars!!! :)
  10. KCook

KCook Senior Member

indeed :D
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks guys! I have also made a version with a more traditional transom.
    It is interesting to see that several new yachts are built this way again, while a classic yacht like Rio Rita just got a less good looking extension...

Attached Files:

12. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I like this transom better. Rake the forward bridge glass to the same angle as the bow..
    More Marlena than Greta.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you Codger, and I agree, this transom is more timeless. I tried with different angles on the forward windows and this is the best looking from outside I think. Then I know it is often better visibility from inside a negative windscreen.

About Greta, she came from my hometown...:)
  14. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Yes but .... Do like the traditional stern better. However I would be tempted to make the bulwarks on the aft ends of the open decks less slanted to better harmonize with the new transom profile.

ever picky Kelly
  15. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I suppose that form follows function has it's limitations. Different aesthetic priorities. I defer to Garbo:) Gorgeous woman and a vessel worthy of her name.

Anthropomorphize Liv Ullman and Milla Jovovich in to the design of a yacht and the seas would never be the same again:D
  16. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Kelly, point taken about the relative angles.
    If the transom was a perfect vertical then the aft deck bulwark angles at 45 degrees would work within the "rule of eighths". There is just something naturally balanced and attractive about those complimentary angles.
  17. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Lars,
    Is that a heli-pad back there?
    Arnie
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes Arnie, if you like. It can be just a pick up pad or a permanent. One possibillity is to have a pad that can be jacked up for take-off and landing instead of having foldable bulwarks.

Kelly and Codger, angles are something that can be adjusted forever:)

If you start to raise the angles aft you have to balance it by raising them forward as well, and then the bow... Only adjustment I made was the chineline that drops sharper on this version than with the other transom.

Since she is a pretty big yacht I think she needs to look a little sporty or otherwise she will be taken for a mini cruise ship..?

Attached Files:

19. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

The heli fits in perfectly.
    A true work of art.
    I sincerely hope someone builds her!
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D25...

As I have got a new computer and programs, I am testing to convert, import and export old files. This post is just to see the result of some testing and the boat is one of our production boats where I have made an open version...

Attached Files:

• D25.jpg
      D25.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.