Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno

Krakatoa provided backdrop to Munch's scream, (art & climate)

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Dec 20, 2016.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

[​IMG]
    - - - click pic to enlarge - - -

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    - Wikipedia: 1883 eruption of Krakatoa a must read ---> 3.4 Global climate a must read ---> 3.5 Global optical effects a must read last edited on December 15, 2016

- The Age (Oz): Krakatoa provided backdrop to Munch's scream a must read December 11, 2003

- CNN: Why the sky was red in Munch's 'The Scream' a must read December 10, 2003

- The New York Times: ART; 'The Scream', East of Krakatoa partly quoted + a must read further Februari 8, 2004
    Quote:
    SO, the blood-red sky in ''The Scream'' might not have been a pigment of Edvard Munch's imagination after all.

Three researchers report in the February issue of Sky & Telescope that it would have been the color Munch saw as he took a sunset stroll along the Ljabrochausseen road (now Mosseveien) in the port city of Christiania (now Oslo) in late 1883 or early 1884. At that time the detritus from the eruption of the Indonesian volcano Krakatoa, on Aug. 27, 1883, had just reached Norway.[ . . . . . ]

I guess there are no art lovers on this forum?
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Actually, I have a friend who have a very similar Munch painting, but for me the red sky reminds me of the most red sky I have ever seen from my house. It was the night after the Nice attack last summer, where 86 people were killed and hundreds injured. I was watching President Hollande speaking on TV when the sun was rising with this symbolic red sky...

Sunrise.jpg
  4. brian eiland

WOW !