Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Perko

Kolher Generator model 8E

Discussion in 'Generators' started by sam356, Nov 9, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sam356

sam356 Member

I started my generator the other day and it made a loud squealing noise. I shut it down took the front cover off where the pulley belts are and start it again. The belt turned but the pulley to the 2 water pumps were not turning I shut it down and restart it again and it ran fine. I kept doing this and the pulleys jam up once in a while when starting. Any one had this happen to them.
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

generator

Belt tension ???
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

8eoz

I remember working on a sized raw water pump a while ago on a 8EOZ. It worked fine until one day it suddenly locked up. 2 ball bearing sets were found full of wet rust. Original grease was long gone.
    When you check the belt tension, take the belt off and check the pulleys by hand. The closed water pump pulley should turn easy and you should just feel the resistance from the impeller from the raw water pump. Make sure there is no play or wobble in any pulley.
    Let us know what you find,
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have come across this also. Also look at the weep hole in the bottom of the raw water pump and see if salt water is weeping out of it.