Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Burger

Kohler 13eozd problem

Discussion in 'Generators' started by CaptNeil, Feb 15, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptNeil

CaptNeil Member

Having an issue with the kohler genset. It starts up and runs for about 30 seconds and then shuts down. It throws a code of uu, which in the book means it is overloaded. The problem is that there is no load on it when it is started and no load is placed on it before it shuts itself down. I changed all the filters, checked the impellers, check the strainers, etc. I had the local Kohler guy from West Palm Beach there yesterday, and it had the problem for the first hour he was there. After about an hour of him looking over the generator it started functioning normally. He couldn't find a problem. I know that there is something wrong with it and know this will happen again. This boat frequently runs over to the Bahamas so I don't want to have an issue over there. Anyone out there have a similar issue like this and what is the cause? Are there some sensors that could be going bad and throwing this code? The kohler guy was not helpful at all!!!!
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If that model has a pC board as controller, pick up a spare..just might the problem, happened on one of mine, the board was funky and the set erratic on starting...
  3. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I would suggest to get the manual that shows how the genset detects overload and then check the components in that circuit for loose connections or bad detectors. Most likely it needs voltage and current to detect load and either one could be the problem. Voltage is probably wired straight into the PC board, current most likely has some sort of detectors that sends information to the PC board. I would do this before buying a new circuit board.