Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

Kitty cat do okay on small Yacht?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NeedingChange, Aug 26, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Just curious if it is likely a small cat would do okay on a small sail yacht. Seeing as how mine probably wouldn't like water, I wonder if she would be okay just cruising around freely on a boat with a litterbox setup somewhere.
  2. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi N/C,

Yeah, cats are fine on boats for a week or two, probably not liveaboard though, couldn't think of anything worst for the thing. I would try and keep them locked up during the night though, there curiosity can get them into a bit of trouble :rolleyes:. Cheers

Far
  3. Dang... I was wondering about live aboard. Maybe for less than a year, but still for months.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My daughter insisted to have 2 cats on board a few years ago... They were fine but the problem is that it s hard to keep them on the boat, especially in winter down here when it s cool and it since to keep doors and windows/hatches open.
  5. Maybe I would luck out and mine would be good. Could always bring her back to my Dad's house I suppose.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

4 kats

Were on board with 4. Long story, thought I would just be troubled with 2, 8 years ago. Those two are pushing the oldest kat record, then 2 more.
    Big litter box gets cleaned at least twice daily. The entertainment is endless. Hang a carpet scrap off the dock and off the swim platform in-case they splash (it will happen). On a calm day, show them the carpet retrieval ladder the wet way. Always rinse them when they do a splash. After they get over a double S%&t fit, they will try harder not to splash. Our kats are part of the crew. We talk everything over with them. sometimes they have a comment. Wish I could talk kat.
    Sometimes they do fire watch and they will come running and pounce us in the night when something is not rite. They have been 100% on anchor watch thru 8 years on board. We've been around some dawg boats, Glad we have kats.
    Have endless stories,
    Yep, Kats on board are o k.

,rc
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

A friend from NC picked up a Maine Coon somewhere along his travels. It was huge, more like a guard dog than a cat. On a 38ft sailboat, it used up a lot of space.

If bad weather was on the way, it used to wedge itself into a slot in the galley butt first. After a while, when the cat did this, we shortened sail. Never failed us.
  8. FoxMitchell

FoxMitchell New Member

Some say having a cat aboard brings good luck. :)