Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Westport

Keels....a necessity or option???

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Fish Catcher Jim, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Opcn,
    Thank you and that all does make good sense. I am starting to see why shallow drafts would not benifit as much as a heavier draft such as a nordic or lord nelson tug along with hull type.
    Thanks
    Jim
  2. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Jim, there's a product on the market called Echo Pilot, it's about 10 grand, mounts in the bow, and is a 3D forward scanning sonar. It gives you a 20- 200 meter forward view and a depth of 10-100 meters, which updates every 1-2 seconds, (depending on your range selection). Then you can throw out your need/concern to have a keel. Not only that it's great for seeing channels, and making sure your in between the shallows. Ten grand might sound a little steep, but if it brings you peace of mind, like it would for me...it's cheap insurance.
  3. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NEO56,
    Hmmm sounds interesting to me. Seen some fish finders with side view and 3d so I kind of get the picture. Yea but who can put a price on peace of mind any way? Could come in very handy where fishing is concertned as well. Thanks I will be doing some research on this.
    Jim