Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Perko

Joystick Controls

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by 480AR, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Capt'n Crunch

Capt'n Crunch New Member

480AR - I just noticed that you have the electronic anchor feature. Was that an optional extra feature? If so, can you share how much $ the upcharge was to add that? What level of position accuracy do they indicate that it will maintain?

cheers,
    Steve
  2. missnmountains

missnmountains Member

Are you the 58 that they wrote the article on in PMY? The PMY article is about a Sea Ray 58DB install of the Xentas Joystick controls. The article indicated $20,000.00 installed.

I have contacted SkipperBuds. I am really interested in the project.

Ken
  3. 480AR

480AR New Member

Yes, it is our boat in PMY. We really love the system. We had to back into a slip in Saugatuck, MI recently that was 17' wide (and we are 16') with a strong current and wind against our port side. We backed in so easily and so smoothly. It was nothing!

And yes, we also have the electronic anchor feature as well. It is an option (but I don't recall the cost). It works best with the stern into the wind. I don't know what their claimed accuracy is but in practice it is +/- a few feet from what we can tell (although this will vary depending on current and wind strength).

There is a video out there of one of SkipperBud's captains moving the boat over into our slip single-handed and discovering that he has the lines and fenders on the wrong side. No worries, with the press of a button the boat held position while he moved the lines and fenders! I don't think this example is something the attorneys want mentioned though!
  4. missnmountains

missnmountains Member

What year is your 58? It sounds like exactly the same setup as our 2008 58DB. We have electronic controls and bow and stern thrusters.

Ken
  5. 480AR

480AR New Member

It is a very late 2007 but has all the updates that were done to create the 2008. We too have electronic controls with bow and stern thrusters.

Just love the boat.

Last year we did Lake Superior end to end -- just the 2 of us on board. And it was easy!
  6. Capt'n Crunch

Capt'n Crunch New Member

Which month PMY, I would like to see the article.

thanks.
  7. missnmountains

missnmountains Member

Just got it on Wednesday so it must be August. I spent about an hour on the phone with Bill Karmis over at Skipperbuds. They have retro'd about 6 boats. Really interesting conversation.

I would love to hear from someone that has it installed who has used it in currents.

Ken
  8. 480AR

480AR New Member

Its the August issue beginning on page 50. They do a nice job of describing the installation with pictures and diagrams.