Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Is this idiotic design the new trend in small yachts?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Mar 23, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 84far

84far Senior Member

carelm, yeah but that was the 60's! :D

Yeah, I'd have to say it's more likely for someone to get hurt or even worse, with these particular features around a boat. It would be to easy to hit a cross wake from another boat at 20-30knots and getting bounced off the seat. Just a thought, Cheers

Far
  2. carelm

carelm Senior Member

I was also about 10 years old so I didn't know any better.:D My brother and I would also lie down on the bow area and peer over the bow, another bad idea it seems now.:D
  3. 84far

84far Senior Member

I can see Pascal trying to back hand the computer :D, it was also an era where you didn't have to legally wear a seatbelt, right... unfortunately humans generally learn from mistakes :rolleyes:. Cheers

Far
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

It looks like there is a area to walk that is lower than the surrounding seating and then a bit of a "pit" to stand it while all the way forward to secure the anchor line or forward lines. As captJ asked- how would anyone ever do anything on a sportfish bow with no rails? Just tell your people they can't go forward while the boat is underway. My boat has a tower- would you complain about that as "unsafe" as well? I tell my folks on board they are not allowed to climb it...:rolleyes:
  5. 84far

84far Senior Member

Now, ask your crew when it's blowing 25+knots with a decent swell to go up on the foredeck to secure a line or something that might foul the props...

Cheers

Far
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

"Just tell your people they can't go forward

Great... Owner pays a few millions dollars to be told he or his friends cant enjoy that sunpad... Charter guests spent $30 to $35k a week and have to be told they can't go there, just because the **** builder didn't provide a safe rail

Do you know how often we have charter guests go stand on the pulpit while underway for that Titanic picture even though they were told not to go there while underway?

SF are different... It s usually owner or crew that go up the tower... They don't anchor as much either Different use from a MY, different requirements
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If you want a rail because you charter the boat ... can you have a rail installed?
    If the builder sells more boats because they think the foredeck looks better with no rail do you think they will install rails on all of them because you want it?
    Not trying to argue but you seem angry because of the design...:confused:
    Nearly every single time I go out with guests at least one wants to climb the tower. I can count the times they have actually climbed with my thumbs.
  8. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

On some of the boats you can order them with or without rails. I am afraid, most people believe, the boats look better without.

See example below. (Copyright of the pictures Riva Yachts)

Attached Files:

9. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Good point HTM. Sometimes the stupid is the clients fault, not the designers.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

True but on an express style boat, or SF, most people will not climb on the narrow side deck hanging on grab rails. Very different from a MY with wide side decks all the way to the bow

Beautiful Riva... There was one like it next to us for a few months, never went out because the whole electrical system was a disaster, could not even be plugged in shore power. I saw the boat on the hard after that for a few months.

(Not saying Rivas have Lucas grade electrics, could have been hit by lightning or butchered after delivery, I don't know)
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or a 50hz boat that was plugged into 60hz without a transformer!!!!!
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That shouldn't affect wiring, panels etc. Motors and compressors, yes in the long run but freq affects doesnt just blow things up
  13. 84far

84far Senior Member

Another thing is a lot of these boats in the above examples are usually the 'market' for the first time boat owner, or newish to the market at best. So my guess is they don't really know what they need/want, and don't know what to look for in regards to quality (wallpaper :rolleyes:) etc.

Yes, a S/F looks sexy without the rails, but downunder you would struggle to find a S/F without bow rails. The US would have a market down here if you made the boats more practical... One can only dream :D

Far
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I know of two Hatteras' SF downunder without a bow rail....both members of this forum.....A bow rail is easy enough to have made for a SF.
  15. 84far

84far Senior Member

Libery has a set on, I'm pretty sure Kafue now has a set on or is getting some last I spoke to him.

It's easier enough, but just another thing an owner has to open his wallet up too.

Far
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There's a reason that rails were removed from SF awhile ago. They can interfere with your ability to fish. What the excuse is for other types of boat I haven't a clue. Maybe a fear that the shadow will leave tan lines?:rolleyes:
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The two problems I see is that they encourage passengers to hang around on fore deck in high speeds, which is dangerous and also limiting visibility. The rails also often produce glare from your navigation lights which is not desirable.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I suck at fishing but I always thought fishing took place in the cockpit on a SF. I don't see how anyone could fish offshore from a bow with nothing to hang on

CCs on the other hand are different and can be fished all around without rails
  19. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Yes my Hatteras now has bow rails. First thing I bought when she arrived was an anchor and plenty of chain, can't believe this is not done in Florida and yes I heard all about the fact no one anchors, but what if you HAVE to?, Then the bow rails. How would these interfere with fishing? If anything the rails allow for more access if I were to "bottom fish" which I don't do. In winter we have dozens of whales heading North and I usually head out with a bunch of friends and family to watch them, so the rails are necessary and I do not do over 8 or 10 knots on my way out and just idle when we find a pod. As for the rails interfering with visibility and reflecting navigation lights.....seriously? From the flybridge they make no impact at all.
    If I want to stop passengers going forward while underway, I TELL them, don't need to remove the rails to achieve this.
  20. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Never assume what a guest will or wont do aboard.
    I give all guests the standard safety brief.

But:

I recently had several guests aboard my 46 SF walk up on the bow while underway.

At first it startled me seeing passengers on the bow while underway, then it shocked me that all of them had a drink and must have shimmyed along the salon with one hand.

If I didn't order em back in the cockpit I bet at least one of them would have ended up on the bow pulpit in the Titanic pose.

I guess the lesson learned is never assume that your untrained gest or passenger will or wont do something.....