Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Is there no limit to what we want communications wise?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Feb 11, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Hahahaha...Agree!
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

B&O is from Denmark and so was another brand, Linnet & Laursen, where they built very nice portable radios. I still have my Piccolo, built with a wooden box for the best sound. This was always in my boat. Found a video of the same;

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/edPLqXkpt_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Should have said Scandinavian.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, or Nordic, we include Finland in the language group as well, even though they have another language too. Their NMT mobile phones were the best for a long time, Mobira that became Nokia. I had my first in 1984, quite a brick!

01_mobira_talkman.jpg
  5. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

The Siemens was the cinder block of them all, I think Motorola was the lightest but longer and wider and with a thinner profile, yet heavier. My ole man had a Siemens unit in the trunk of the car hooked to a regular phone set on the front seat, it added to the stability of the car and to the fuel consumption too I bet! Got rid of it two years later.

Keep the memories coming guys. :)
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I was thinking of how expensive these toys were at the time, I had all four on this picture and they were all about USD 5.000 each! Like five iPhones today...

01_mobira_talkman_nokia_8810_nokia_6110_mobira_cityman.jpg
  7. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

So true, and more in running and operating cost, and in some countries you had to pay a certain "insurance" up front, it was called postpaid, but yet was very prepaid!

For the life of me I can't remember the name of a set from the mid 90's that works on a land line boosted through and antennae to cover a whopping radius of 45km, the constant khskhskhskhs was part of the features, like a 2 year old playing endlessly with gift wrap paper!

Still have a couple of those sets and a couple others, I was and still a fan of Ericsson GH337 and GF337, with double stack battery, and an LED ring short stock antennae. The GH had a double SIM converter :D To convert from one line to the other, you had to switch the phone off, break 2-4 nails trying to flip the dip switch before switching back on. Lots of fun. hahahaha

Now the multi-SIM feature works seamlessly, simultaneously and perfectly, meaning there is more fun of having a heat miss-beat when you call someone and remember you didn't switch to the line number they know, now they know your dirty little secret and you can no longer avoid certain callers!

Remember when caller ID was a feature you pay for? So was SMS!
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here you still pay for it. And talking of range, the NMT 450 system in the 80:s was working all over the Baltic Sea and at least 100 km over land. Today you should almost see the antenna if it should work...
  9. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Yeah with all the regulations on health effects of cell signals getting a good coverage is a heartache, especially in places with variable terrain topography, back in the day, no one cared for few dead brain cells as long a the phone cell is up and running!