Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Is all design discussion like this?

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Opcn, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Trust me when I say I've served very fine shredded cabbage, corned beef and tomato ketchup and called it Spaghetti Dublina.

4 very drunk crewmembers complimented me for the cooking and asked for more. All cooked on one camping gas ring on a 24foot race boat.

I will not mention just how the aroma or how musical the anchorage was the next morning, or how many others still remark upon it.
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Fair point. But it also set me wondering. As a general rule do the yachts designed for charter have more opulent interiors than the strictly private use yachts?

Kelly Cook
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would say the reverse is true, hi traffic busy boats aimed at the charter market are normally a lot plainer than the ultra luxury you see on a strictly private Owners only vessel ( again, this refers to the bigger yachts not production run vessels)
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I would say that carries all the way up and all the way down.
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Thanks for your responses guys :)
  6. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I'm pretty happy with this thread in general.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I was just thinking of the design brief the Owner gave to the team of 'Simpon S'. He said "I live a very busy life and have distractions all day, when I'm on the boat I want simplicity but not stark". Thats what Klaus gave him.
  8. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Since this conversation came to an abrupt halt I'm going to drift for a bit.

So if I were planning on learning about the design elements of a yacht, what resources would y'all recommend? I am a very big fan of the reviews on this forum, and greatly enjoy seeing what people have done, but sadly there is no explanation of what worked and what didn't. It seems like people aim for about 4 inch long boats when they put up pictures, which I will admit works marvelously in print, not so well online, with the graininess of a screen.

While I do enjoy drooling over the really big yachts, I'm most interested in the layouts of 35'-120' boats. I've always been very impressed with how good some people are at finding storage space on boats, and how much built in storage can be found in some staterooms with out making them too intimidating. I suspect that with so many people having felt bitten by the housing market that there will be a decline in the McMansion, and a return to smaller more reasonable homes, and that in turn that will mean that storage will be more of an issue, and that this may in the end be a market where I could potentially pick up some remodel business.

My father wrote a book on building houses, and a book on building boats, but sadly he is no good at that sort of thing, giant drawers and shelves everywhere is his approach, which I enjoy living in, but don't see much of a market for.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

it's an interesting topic since it doesn't matter how great the boat look if once inside you find it hard to live in. Your original post was a little vague, not mentioning size... under 50', over 200' megas, etc...

I think that where it gets really interesting is in the smaller size boats where you dont' have a lot room to play with and fit everything in. Take the sub 50 boats for instance. Builders like Carver, Silverton and Meridian try to squeeze every square inch inside by moving the house forward often resulting in stubby looks and barely usable foredecks, or by moving the side decks over teh saloon, with steps and sloped making it hard to single hand the boat. But at the boat show, the wive's fall in love with the interior space...

on the other hand many "euro style" designs go for ultra sleek looks and in the process push the flybridge back leaving no space for the tender, which lands at the stern, always in the way. so in my opinion the interior and exterior are closely tied together, especially in the smaller size boats.

another example.. I had a good laugh when i read the promotional material for the "new" small hatteras MY... the 56. Their marketing blurb boasted the width of the side decks, the square footage of the aft deck, the water tank capacity and how you could fit a 10' tender on the boat deck/flybridge. My first reaction was "what have they learned in the past 40 years?" since my old 53 Hatt, has wider side decks, a larger aft deck, same water capacity and room for a 13' tender. All with 2' less beam.

obviously the newer boat is faster, more luxurious but you have to ask yourself if whoever designed this new model learned anything since Jack Hargrave drew the first 50/53 back in the 60.

Interior layout comes down to juggling compromises, that's the key word, and finding the right balance for the intended use. What works for some owners don't' work for others.

galley layout for instance, and this is probably an important factor in the small yacht size range (60-80) where you will find owner/operators or owners/1 crew. do you want an open galley so that the owners can use without being left out, or do you want an enclosed galley, out of sight if you are going to have a chef/crew working in there?

where the boat will be used adds another layer of options. Aft deck/swim platform: up north with a shorter season and cold water more interior room is nice and you can sacrifice some aft deck space. the 70 footer I run is the perfect example having an aft that's about 50% larger than most 70 footer and an 8' swim platform. Ideal down here since we have both a table with 6 reclining chairs and a large settee for another 8. and we can put 3 reclining chairs on the swim platform... On the other hand, the saloon may not be as large as other 70 footers, at least for dining and we don't have a lower helm.

lower helm / pilot house... another element. Again, in the 80, 90+ segment it's a non issue but in the sub 70 range where every square ft counts it could be on the block. a pilot house is going to take a 10' LOA chunk out of the interior space and in some case that space can be put to better use and adding a skylounge is a viable option. Back to the boat i run, that's what we have... Since i was used to the pilothouse/open FB configuration, I was a little biased against no lower helm and a enclosed skylounge. It didn't take me long to realize that spending the day up there with the air con keeping everything nice and cool wasn't' that bad, along with the better views. for docking I use the remote station on the aft deck making it easy to single hand when needed.

That kind of layout will not work for everyone... this is why it's so critical to get it right when looking for the right boat, something unfortunately that' not always easy since there are so many things to consider.

But interior layout is a critical part of the big picture.
  10. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I think my first question was vauge because it was trying to start a discussion about discussion, its hard to get a handle on something one step removed. Any favorite resources?
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

12. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

No books or extensive online galleries?
  13. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

14. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Do you realize how small this forum is? It has 15,000 members, and at all times twice as many guests looking, but no one ever posts, there are only two dozen posters with more than 100 posts, and only 7714 threads (for compairison , a science forum I belong to that started in 2006 has 18,000 threads excluding off topic material and 1/3rd the membership). It took about three weeks to read every review, every post in the yacht renderings forum, and every post that mentions crew quarters.

This is an awefully nice forum, but people just don't post, and until that changes you can't really call it extensive. I'm not asking to be linked to other forums, or blogs, that compete with YF, but there are enough yacht manufacturers that one has to be showing off some extensive interior pics and layouts. There have got to be books on the subject. Someone has to have a big flicker gallery that is heavy on interiors from boat shows.
  15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

As has been stated before, most yacht interiors are very private. Would you want someone wandering around your house with a camera?

A good photo resource is Boat International magazine, unfortunately you may encounter my ugly face and on one occassion my bum, in some shots. :eek:
  16. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Not sure about the “private” stuff, as the majority of big yachts are for charter, so a successful boat can easily have had a thousand people sleeping in your bed and using your shower.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We have worked hard to get quality over quantity in the forums, just chatting about the lifestyle of the rich and famous does not belong here.

If you are an owner or interested to buy a yacht, or belong to the industry you can exchange questions and answers and others will learn by reading what is discussed.

Regarding designers discussions, I am one of the few showing my concepts in advance, which has been nice but probably not so smart as I am giving away a lot. But the best ideas I still keep for myself...;)
  18. 84far

84far Senior Member

hi there

question for everyone (i think this is what Opcn was after), ok im designing a 61' SF at the moment, and i have a small issue with the ladder going up to the flybridge. Q. should i have the ladder attach on the side of the ice box (which i have now), or should i have it attached on the front surface? pros or cons? i think the way i have it at the moment it is easy to get into the ice box, but it is in the way when entering the cabin.

comments?

far
  19. flboater65

flboater65 New Member

New poster here, I looked through several of the forums here and this seemed to possibly be the place to ask. I have a small interior design issue.

My wife insists the LCD in the stateroom looks hideous and wants me to find a frame for it. I've looked on the internet and I'd seen several different options, but I don't want one that uses canvas straps, and I obviously don't want to have one permanently attached. What are my options?

I've found several companies online that might work, but I don't want to post links here unless someone tells me it's ok. Has anyone else encountered this admittedly obscure issue?