Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Ireland to Maine

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by amb10s, Apr 10, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

About assuming things. I think you'd do well to look back at who you were quoting. That was Capt. J. I'm the one who see's no problem with you doing this and in fact have pointed out your qualifications from your post #11 to others here. My only question was if you'd be better off doing the northern or southern route. Apology accepted.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. amb10s

amb10s New Member

OMG!!!!!! I am so sorry NYCap123!!!! YOu are 100% correct. Now I need to figure out how to edit that darn post.
  3. amb10s

amb10s New Member

I made a huge mistake here. NYCapt123 is NOT the person who made the assumptions. I apologize to NYCapt123 for attributing this to him/her. Capt. J is the one who made the assumptions in his/her post....
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Got your notification AMB10s. Don't worry, these guys are thick skinned. We move on quickly.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

:cool:
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Welp, that doesn't match the USCG safe manning requirements in regards to sleep. We've all done those watches of 4 on 4 off, ok to do for 1 day, maybe 2 days. NOT able to do for 7+ days safely while rolling around in the Atlantic.
  7. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Kindly share the Federal Reg you are refering to ....
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What exactly are the "manning requirements" for a couple cruising on their own boat in international waters? I've done a 100 hour shift running launch on a cable job. Coasties had no gripes, OSHA had no gripes. I've done 15 hour shifts for weeks at a time cleaning oil spills. Same. Only grumbles were the payers cause I was getting time and a half.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Since you are both USCG 100 ton master Captains, see (B):

"§ 15.1111 Work hours and rest periods.
    (a) Every person assigned duty as officer in charge of a navigational or engineering watch, or duty as ratings forming part of a navigational or engineering watch, or designated safety, prevention of pollution, and security duties onboard any vessel that operates beyond the boundary line, as described in part 7 of this chapter, must receive -

(1) A minimum of 10 hours of rest in any 24-hour period; and

(2) 77 hours of rest in any 7-day period.

(b) The hours of rest required under paragraph (a) of this section may be divided into no more than two periods in any 24-hour period, one of which must be at least 6 hours in length, and the interval between consecutive periods of rest must not exceed 14 hours. "

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/15.1111
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And again, how does that relate to a couple cruising on their own boat in international waters?
    (§ 15.1111 Work hours and rest periods.
    (a) Every person assigned duty as officer in charge of a navigational or engineering watch, or duty)

The last time I "assigned duty" to my wife it got very lonely around my house.
  11. amb10s

amb10s New Member

§ 15.1109 Watches.
    Except those serving on vessels listed in § 15.105(f) and (g) of this part, each master of a vessel that operates beyond the boundary line, as described in part 7 of this chapter, must ensure observance of the principles concerning watchkeeping set out in Regulation VIII/2 of the STCW Convention and section A-VIII/2 of the STCW Code (both incorporated by reference, see § 15.103 of this part).

§ 15.105(g) Owners and operators, and personnel serving on the following small vessels are in compliance with subpart K of this part and are, therefore, not subject to further requirements for the purposes of the STCW Convention:
    (2) Vessels of less than 200 GRT, other than passenger vessels subject to subchapter H of 46 CFR chapter I.

Our sailboat was less than 100GT ---- as are the boats we are now considering. Therefore, we are not subject to the manning requirements contained in the navigation and shipping laws of the United States, including uninspected vessels.

12. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Love this! And so sorry for the lonliness you experiences that ONE time..... LOL
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I learn fast. lol.
  14. amb10s

amb10s New Member

:)
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, safe manning regulations don't apply. However, the principles still do. I think whether one realizes it or not with no sleep periods over 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 hours there will be an affect over many days of that and that could at some point impair alertness. It's amazing how much more rested one can be with a crew of three vs. two. I'm not going to say to you not to do the 4 on, 4 off, two person rotation, just that I would not. In fact, if I was going with two only (which I wouldn't) I'd probably try to do rotations to allow longer periods of sleep.
  16. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Appreciate your input --- however, when on land, hubby and I both sleep about 4 -5 hours a night ---- so "in principle" we are getting the same amount of sleep (potentially more with the two "naps" thrown in - then we do when we are not traveling.
  17. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

At age 61,I can’t do more than 4 hrs of 4 on 4 off without a serious diminution of my faculties. With 3 people, 3 on, 6 off or 4 and 8, I seem to be ok.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  18. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it. Hoping all is well on Corisande!
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For the sake of argument how about the OP does shifts of 8 on / 8 off or 12 on / 12 off. That would put them into full compliance for the legal eagles here. Or how about they just find the schedule or non-schedule that works for them. As for going across the pond and hiring a 3rd off the dock as I've seen so many actually do, I've done multiple weeks at sea with strangers more times than I can count. There were many times I was tempted to drop them over the stern and I'm sure some have felt that way about me. It's far worse and more tiring (and possibly dangerous) to have the wrong person aboard than be short-handed.
  20. mapism

mapism Senior Member

LOL, couldn't agree more! :)

That's one of the reasons why it happened to me to go as far as "24 on / 0 off" for three days in a row....
    But aside from the fact that I was younger, I did it just to get a job accomplished.
    When it comes to boating for pleasure, I struggle to think of anything better than having the boat shipped to your doorstep, and just enjoy her the way God intended... :cool: